Anybody in the Canberra area with a dirt capable bike?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bundyjd

John
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is anybody in the Canberra region with a trail bike who is interested in occasional prospecting excursions to the surrounding areas?

I often head out on weekend day rides to recce the old goldfields with either the detector or panning gear, so if you're keen to come along sometime just give me a shout either via PM or this thread. Probably not suitable for pure novices as the terrain can be a bit interesting at times, but you don't need to be a Dakar rider either.

Cheers,
John

Shame Im down in Vic bundyjd!

Retired from enduro racing 2004 up North in the NT....loved my 2001 XR650R, was a beast of a thumper!

These days I just putt around the state forests on my 'chook-chaser' 200cc AG bike looking for ground not many can get to.

These are pics of 'saddling-up' for a local coin shoot near home with a few mates.

2u8az5x.jpg

2chvmdk.jpg

Cheers

Meta

I just picked up a 2015 DR 650se . so in the future is a possibility , I live about an hour and a half north .

The bike only has 250km on the clock so far , so still have a bit of running in to do as well as some setting up before I venture too far afield on it .

I was considering posting a similar topic now I'm starting to hit the fields again. I was also wondering if there are any adventure prospectors out there. It's a great way to enjoy both interests at the same time. Unfortunately I'm in Sydney :(

Good luck out there :)

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

Metamorphic said:
Shame Im down in Vic bundyjd!

Retired from enduro racing 2004 up North in the NT....loved my 2001 XR650R, was a beast of a thumper!

These days I just putt around the state forests on my 'chook-chaser' 200cc AG bike looking for ground not many can get to.

These are pics of 'saddling-up' for a local coin shoot near home with a few mates.

Cheers

Meta

Those little Ag bikes are perfect for poking around in the bush Meta, it's just a pity they aren't so good for longer trips or i'd already have one in the shed.

This is the bike I mainly use on local trips - a little KLX400 (basically a DRZ with green plastic). The Garrett backpack is perfect for carrying panning gear, and will also hold the new detector i'm hopefully picking up later today.

1443737405_003a.jpg

And this is what's fondly known as The Fat Girl, for the longer trips.

1443737557_630a.jpg

Dirtdemon said:
I just picked up a 2015 DR 650se . so in the future is a possibility , I live about an hour and a half north .

The bike only has 250km on the clock so far , so still have a bit of running in to do as well as some setting up before I venture too far afield on it .

I reckon if I could have only one bike it would be a DR - throw on a bigger tank, a rack and some decent tyres and you are pretty much good to go. Oh, and throw away the sidestand safety switch.....

I'm guessing you are up Crookwell way?

isolation said:
I was considering posting a similar topic now I'm starting to hit the fields again. I was also wondering if there are any adventure prospectors out there. It's a great way to enjoy both interests at the same time. Unfortunately I'm in Sydney :(

Good luck out there :)

Another nice DR, very popular bike these days for good reason.

Ive already got An Acerbis 25 litre tank that will go on soon , when I get the 1000km service done i'll be getting a Suzuki bashplate and tail rack fitted that came as part of the sale ( Suzuki rally pack ) .

Going to buy a hard plastic 40-50 litre topbox to throw on the tail rack that is water proof to carry gear and sensitive items ( camera's , detector control box , coils etc. ) and probably look into side panier racks later on.

Vince Strang motorcycles at Inverell have some good aftermarket mods for the DR's and DRZ's that im looking at , such as a highway windscreen , smaller more neat number plate holder , and aftermarket seat which will make it more comfortable to rack up some serious km's on .

Deristricting the airbox and exhaust is definitely on the cards too , as I cant see the point in a 650 that has about as much grunt on tap as a 250.....

If they want to sell a LAMS approved 650 they should sell one with restrictions and one without , it is a bit of a joke spending hard earned money on a bike and having it choked right up , and then having to spend crap loads of more money getting a larger capacity bike to run as it should.

I have had proper enduro's in the past such as XR's , TT's etc , and wasn't wanting an absolute bush weapon , was more looking for the more true 50/50 dual sport bike ,as it will also be used as a work commuter / Adventure tourer , and the lightness/ agility of the DR as compared to the larger bodied adventure bikes such as the KLR 650 , as well as the simplicity of the old school technology air cooled engine , made it an obvious and only real choice for my needs.

Why Honda stopped selling XR 650's ( R and L models ) in this country is plain crazy , especially with the growing popularity of adventure / dirt touring .

Im just up the highway a bit north of Goulburn in the southern highlands.

I've got quite a few mates with DR's, they are a good basic platform for setting up as a dual sport. If you are handy with the tools pretty much everything is DIY.

I think Seat concepts make a DR kit with wider foam and a new cover which you can fit yourself with a decent staple gun, I've got them on both bikes. The Staintune pipes are pretty popular too, and their factory isn't too far from you....

I have Andy Strapz racks on both my bikes, as I prefer soft panniers and can just swap them between the bikes.

Kriega make some nice gear too, I have a 10/20/10L combo for the back of the Tiger. The 20L stays on the bike for tools etc, and the 10L bags get added for overnight trips.

Vince Strang are selling a SARGENT seat replica foam and skin for about half the price of the original so that was what I was initially looking at though will have a look at Seat concepts as I had not heard of them before , other options are CORBIN , or have also seen a GEL insert Suzuki seat , though to get the GEL seat shipped from the states makes it well over $500 , especially with the dollar the way it is.

A guy at work's father was working for Staintune , and only told me in the last few days that they basically have closed the doors with only the old bloke and another working there now , so don't know if they are going to continue in the business or shut down completely.

Im not wanting a loud bike , but want the decent power output , so initial exhaust I am looking at is the FMF Q4 muffler (rated round only 10db louder than stock ) with maybe the FMF POWER BOMB header.

MY roadbike is on the way out the door , so will only have one bike , so am just gonna fit the 40L topbox and basically leave it on , as I will be using the bike a fair bit soon to run to work on down the road while my 4x4 gets some maintanance work done.

bundyjd said:
Those little Ag bikes are perfect for poking around in the bush Meta, it's just a pity they aren't so good for longer trips or i'd already have one in the shed.

This is the bike I mainly use on local trips - a little KLX400 (basically a DRZ with green plastic). The Garrett backpack is perfect for carrying panning gear, and will also hold the new detector i'm hopefully picking up later today.

And this is what's fondly known as The Fat Girl, for the longer trips.

Yeah they do the job nicely mate as long as you can trailer them in on the long trip from home as you say!

They are a bit like riding a wet sponge compared to my XR and the bikes you guys have, and you cant push the limits on them, but not a bad way to combine my love of prospecting and twisting a throttle!

I throw mine on the back of my 4x4 ute along with the H/bankers, pumps etc and tow the van behind when i go for weeks at a time touring the goldfields.

Love your bike setups bundyjd, excellent work mate ;) ......the Kwaka's are top bikes and have owned a few KX's when i was into 2-strokes, and an old 81' GT750 shaftdrive!

My detector goes in a backpack now also as its a better way of absorbing the shock, everything else goes on the racks!

Top Pics there of your DR's too lads, really nice bush setups and thanks for sharing all. ;)

Cheers

I looked at the Katos when I was in the market for a bigger Adv bike - very nice, but hard to justify the $'s. Went with the Tiger 800XC instead, and have never regretted it.

And if buying bikes and cars is the sign of a mid-life crisis, I've been having one since I was about twelve :)

Don't have a bike but have a 4wd,,,,,
Spent more time in the vic fields than locally but want to check them out.
Can be busy at times but would be keen for a day trip.

Geez Meta that Bike is a Beast, I am thinking about try to get one of the late 90s Troopys or a Pajaro but the more I see bikes the more I want to get back to riding again,

I watched that video about 5 or 6 months ago and I think that's the way to do it with a 4x4 and a Bike. Great Video.

John

Latest posts