Angus MacKirk Alaskan FLAW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marked

Mark
Reaction score
Just a heads up if you have or are going to own the Alaskan Flare sluice; where the flare attaches to the main body of the sluice, fitment is not perfect, and when set with proper water flow, material (including gold if it is in the dirt you are processing) will suck backwards and out of the sluice. Luckily I noticed during processing of the first bucket on our big family trip - was watching material gather in the corners where the flare attaches and "disappear"...put my hand under the sluice and it filled with the black sand that was "disappearing".

Had used the sluice only a couple of times before, but after experiencing just how much gold will gather in those corners before it even gets to the riffles, I wonder if my previous outings may have been less disappointing...

Anyway, a rag was stuffed into the offending openings quick smart, and a good couple of days was spent...will come up with a better sealing method when I have some time to give it some proper thought.

Just got back a few hours ago, and will get around to posting some show 'n tell when various electronic devices have been plugged into computer for compilation of photos.

Marked, one solution might be to spray cooking oil on the sluice and use a generous bead of silicon on the flare then fit the two together, once dry separate. That should give you a good rubber type seal when reattaching them. Just an option.

Good luck with it, gold hard enough to find without loosing it to poor fitment.

cheers :)

Guys it's not a poor design flaw ,the bolt on flair is just that ,a bolt on flair to speed up water flow. You should be placing the material in the sluice after the flair, if you want to use the flair as a slick plate then you would have to silicone the gap. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Skip

i can see how this could easily catch a few people out, most of us are used to using the full length of a sluice I would agree poor design really I found i had the same issue with creating a recirc unit for my AM ended up making a layer of foam that compresses betwen the two its amazing how much gold doesn't make it past this first gap :)

Latest posts