An adventure

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. iv recently got interested about finding gold in australia, the problem is im from London,Enland :). I am thinking about saving some cash and comming out next year and trying my luck at it.

a few questions.
I plan on basicly getting a mode of transport and a small trailor, loading up on supplies and basicly detecting the day away, Camping at my chosen detecting spot and then simply carrying on detecting come daylight.
i would be on a years Visa so basicly i would be detecting till my supplies run out/ funds/ i find some nice gold :)

Thats my plan iv never detected befor lol but i think it would be a great Adventure with possible big rewards.

if anyone can tell me if this is possible, any problems that i might have overlooked, regards to just driving a truck on the land were id like to detect and then camping is it legal ect..

Would be great to hear some feedback thanks alot

It would be a great adventure. Depending on where you want to go a good mode of transport would be a Toyota Troop Carrier like this http://www.britz.com.au/challenger-4wd-camper If your by yourself (or with one other person) you could load it up with supplies, sleep in it & get to otherwise inaccessible places with a 2wd vehicle + you wouldn't need to bounce a little trailer over our rough roads.
There are plenty of free or cheap, legal spots around to camp including State Forests , Travelling Stock Reserves, Recreation/Camping Reserves, National Parks etc. etc. Some will have good facilities like hot showers etc. & some will have nothing. http://www.australiancampsites.com.au/ Most towns also have caravan parks with cheap fees for powered/unpowered campsites to park up for awhile.
There are plenty of fossicking areas about but laws differ from state to state in regards to permits etc. You probably need to plan where you want to go & research areas + required permits etc. to suit your trip. Also weather should be taken into account when planning i.e. winter is usually the season when most people go to Western Australia to go gold hunting + Northern Australia wet season needs to be taken into account when travelling.
If you let us know your expected arrival date I'm sure someone will be able to give you an idea of where to start from & where to head to at the best times of the year.
There are members here from all over Australia so once we know what your plan is we can help with areas that you can detect & camp nearby where we are located. Some members may even offer to take you out for a day or two to show you the ropes in their area (but probably not their gold rich patches ;))
A trip like this will take plenty of research & planning but would be well worth it to see our country.
p.s. one piece of advice don't plan on finding that big reward - plan to see the country & enjoy it without having the pressure of finding gold. It may happen or it may not. Best of luck.

Welcome to the forum Daveoe, Sounds like an epic adventure you are planning and I'm sure it will be a trip of a lifetime. Some great advice from mbasko and research, combined with interaction with forum members, will dramatically increase you chances of taking some gold back home.

Best of luck and look forward to sharing your adventure.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts