Am i looking in the right places?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When i look for a spot to have a swing i get on Geovic and find shallow workings The red areas. Every spot i've been to so far have always been creeks and gullys and the banks alongside them plotted with these shallow holes. What are these? Also how do i know if i'm in an area where the gold is in detectable depth? when i see these holes it makes me think it was all deep stuff. half the time i'm wondering if i'm in the wrong areas. I know creeks will have nuggets as i found my first 2 pieces in a creek 0.8g and 0.5g.

Pretty much what i'm trying to figure out is if i'm in the right areas where the gold can be detectable

Will these shallow workings in red on geovic always be creeks? i'd like to go to an open area where i can detect without climbing down into creeks lol. A place in whipstick i went to was like this but it wasnt even on geovic as shallow workings

Thanks guys

VicGoldHunter said:
When i look for a spot to have a swing i get on Geovic and find shallow workings The red areas. Every spot i've been to so far have always been creeks and gullys and the banks alongside them plotted with these shallow holes. What are these? Also how do i know if i'm in an area where the gold is in detectable depth? when i see these holes it makes me think it was all deep stuff. half the time i'm wondering if i'm in the wrong areas. I know creeks will have nuggets as i found my first 2 pieces in a creek 0.8g and 0.5g.

Will these shallow workings in red on geovic always be creeks? i'd like to go to an open area where i can detect without climbing down into creeks lol. A place in whipstick i went to was like this but it wasnt even on geovic as shallow workings

Thanks guys
Quick answer. No they are not always creeks - they can be workings in the soil around quartz reefs, and sometimes former creeks that now form gravel caps on hilltops or on the side of hills as terraces. Sometimes old maps say "surfacing". They used to sluice entire hillsides of soil downhill from reefs in places.

VicGoldHunter said:
grubstake said:
Hey, OP - can I suggest that you read in full the following lengthy and highly informative threads:

What To Look For On The Goldfields (New To Prospecting)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2042

and;

12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19429

They grub ive read loamers posts really helpful but im still finding my confidence low in new areas.

VGH,
Mate Id probably get in touch with Minelab Gold via his YT channel and book a one on one session with him, thats what Im doing in the coming months :Y:

PMac77 said:
VGH,
Mate Id probably get in touch with Minelab Gold via his YT channel and book a one on one session with him, thats what Im doing in the coming months :Y:

I will second this.
Having spent training day with him as a total beginner (literally second time using a detector) I learned a lot, being a 1 on 1 session he was able to tailor it to my skill level too.
Definitely feel as though it has fast tracked my ability and saved wasting a lot of time doing typical learner errors.

Also go read Goldierocks posts, they're geology for normal people, brilliant stuff.

I know this might not go down to well but youve gotta get out there and learn stuff for yourself and not just rely on others to show you everything. And yes I did with very minimal help. And yes I have picked up little bit of info on my journey. Seems to be a sign of the times.

Ps Im a grumpy prick but thats my genetics. :D

Bjay said:
I know this might not go down to well but youve gotta get out there and learn stuff for yourself and not just rely on others to show you everything. And yes I did with very minimal help. And yes I have picked up little bit of info on my journey. Seems to be a sign of the times.

Ps Im a grumpy prick but thats my genetics. :D

I keep trying to google the golden triangle but I'm not sure if this is the right place.
Did they really find all that gold here?! :playful:

1557398655_gt.jpg

Bjay. Im with you. Not going place an X on spot theres the gold. VGH did your buy a miners prospecting license, if you did. Look up the meaning Prospecting.

Its about researching and digging.

Stop looking for easy way out. No one is going to help you,

Over it. ]:D

How's this for a suggestion VGH you start a new thread in the members section to organise a meet up :Y: you choose the location and optional dates and those who reply results in you having like minded people camping with you. I think this will work both ways and we all come out the other side better for it, what do reckon VGH.

VGH,keep asking questions but you do need to get out there and try and work it out for yourself . These guys have done the hard yards and I have found more than happy to pass on their experience .
Head down,bum up and don't be scared to make a mistake !
Cheers Crushed

Ward69 said:
Bjay. Im with you. Not going place an X on spot theres the gold. VGH did your buy a miners prospecting license, if you did. Look up the meaning Prospecting.

Its about researching and digging.

Stop looking for easy way out. No one is going to help you,

Over it. ]:D

ditto

way over it ;)

Latest posts