alluvial gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben, get on UTUbe too. There are vids on there that show a guy digging up a creek bed and collecting the dirt to wash. He'll explain it.

I really don't know why one of the many knowledgeable people here could not simply offer a simple explanation of this to Aussiegamer-Ben.

Instead you all sound like Bunnings Staff. :rolleyes: "ohh go down to Isle 23 or go ask in the toolshop"

Alluvial Gold can be generally considered that which has been moved and deposited by water.

Eluvial (one "L") is gold that has broken away from the main source eg Reef and can be scattered around the area of the source. Gold that has moved down hills due to erosion from the source is also Eluvial

Alluvium: loose, unconsolidated (not cemented together into a solid rock) soil or sediments, which has been eroded, reshaped by water in some form, and redeposited

Eluvium: geological deposits and soils that are derived by in situ weathering or weathering plus gravitational movement or accumulation

Cheers
Creekbed

Next time you copy & paste from Wikipedia (or elsewhere) you might like to acknowledge your source instead of trying to sound like a smartass. Acknowledging sources is a surefire way of avoiding copyright issues even though Wikipedia is creative commons https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ you still need to give attributions.

I'll link back to your sources for you:
Alluvium:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alluvium

Eluvium:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eluvium

The link I provided was put up for Ben as not only does it provide a short but accurate description of alluvial gold as requested it also describes eluvial (one L) gold. It also gives other good information, although WA specific, that I thought may have been useful in helping him out with identifying & searching for these types of gold.
I guess I just didn't have time to copy, paste & condense it under the guise of being super smart & it being my own words :rolleyes:

AussieGamer_Ben said:
thanx everyone. I didn't mean to start trouble.

You Didn't mate,
Some people forget the old adage "If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing"!

We all have to start somewhere, it is with questions that we start to seek answers.
good luck
Lee

Creekbed said:
I really don't know why one of the many knowledgeable people here could not simply offer a simple explanation of this to Aussiegamer-Ben.

Instead you all sound like Bunnings Staff. :rolleyes: "ohh go down to Isle 23 or go ask in the toolshop"

Alluvial Gold can be generally considered that which has been moved and deposited by water.

Eluvial (one "L") is gold that has broken away from the main source eg Reef and can be scattered around the area of the source. Gold that has moved down hills due to erosion from the source is also Eluvial

Alluvium: loose, unconsolidated (not cemented together into a solid rock) soil or sediments, which has been eroded, reshaped by water in some form, and redeposited

Eluvium: geological deposits and soils that are derived by in situ weathering or weathering plus gravitational movement or accumulation

Cheers
Creekbed

Well said creekbed

mbasko said:
Next time you copy & paste from Wikipedia (or elsewhere) you might like to acknowledge your source instead of trying to sound like a smartass. Acknowledging sources is a surefire way of avoiding copyright issues even though Wikipedia is creative commons https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ you still need to give attributions.

I'll link back to your sources for you:
Alluvium:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alluvium

Eluvium:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eluvium

The link I provided was put up for Ben as not only does it provide a short but accurate description of alluvial gold as requested it also describes eluvial (one L) gold. It also gives other good information, although WA specific, that I thought may have been useful in helping him out with identifying & searching for these types of gold.
I guess I just didn't have time to copy, paste & condense it under the guise of being super smart & it being my own words :rolleyes:

Firstly my first two descriptions were my own.

"Alluvial Gold can be generally considered that which has been moved and deposited by water.

Eluvial (one "L") is gold that has broken away from the main source eg Reef and can be scattered around the area of the source. Gold that has moved down hills due to erosion from the source is also Eluvial"

The two after that were not in fact from Wikipedia at all and were not direct quotes,although they were found on the net.

And yes any smartarse can cut and paste into a google search as well and you will almost certainly find those exact words somewhere on the net. You could even find that they were my own exact words from a forum many years ago and someone else plagiarized them on Wikipedia.

The purpose of my post was to highlight that of three replies none could give a simple answer in their own words.

Anyway nuff said

CB

Well said CB but I reckon my intent was helpful in so far as i was leading the poster. This stems from experience with this and the motoring forums that i participate in which is basically "use the forum search button" before you post your question otherwise you might get for example only a handful of mixed responses and miss the other 200 archived posts that discussed the same subject in depth.

research, research, research.... I'll rest on that

good luck AussieGamer_Ben
cheers Casper

Yep theres quite a few of the same question or very similar that many people have answered before using either their own words or linking to material that might expand on it a little or even explain things better than what they believe their own words would.
Both ways are useful so there's no need to be an ass about it. At least we offered some assistance unlike over 6000 others who offered nothing!

Sorry Ben, I guess it slipped through the forum without mich notice. This happens a bit when many new threads are created in 24 hours or less. Hope the answers gave you your answer? I reccommend going to book shops and salvos / op shops to look for gold and gemstone..even geology books, or download .pdf files similar. I prefer pages so I can flick through them with my fingers and smell the paper and ink...

The more you read, it will all fall into play.. eventually. :) I think parliament time is over now...

My take on the word alluvial is ....ellusive :lol: easy to find but start trying to fill a vial and it just doesnt seem to grow.
My understanding on the true meaning is susspended particals in gravel/soil that has or is moving slowly over time .

I can certainly empathize with mbasko when he gets accused of plagiarism. Has happened to me elsewhere and the accusation was totally wrong

I do a lot of research on various subjects that interest me, so read scores of articles written by others. I say written by others as I give them the benefit of any doubt until or unless it proves elsewise.

The problem becomes more so when you are talking about something that can be classed as scientific, such as chemistry, because being exact sciences, there is really only one way to write it lest you lose the meaning and intent of your article. For instance, if I'm writing an article about recovery of gold using cyanide, then I want to be damn sure what I write is exact. So if many people do the same thing, then they could all be accused of plagiarising the some information.

I just feel we should take a step back and think about it before we run off making accusations. And if your not sure, you can always PM the bloke and raise the issue privately rather than dive in and go public.

Just my thoughts diggers.

Phoenix76 said:
I can certainly empathize with mbasko when he gets accused of plagiarism. .

I think you should carefully read back through the posts again. It was mbasko accusing me of plagiarism not the other way. There were no grounds for his accusation.

Can't we all just get along .
if another member asks a question and you don't like an other members answer lets not start name calling aren't we all adults and all on the same team .
settle down guys.
this is AUSTRALIA.:|

mbasko said:
Next time you copy & paste from Wikipedia (or elsewhere) you might like to acknowledge your source instead of trying to sound like a smartass. I guess I just didn't have time to copy, paste & condense it under the guise of being super smart & it being my own words :rolleyes:

That was provocative & wrong , those sort of attack posts turn people away from a site .
A more diplomatic reply would have been more appropriate if you had a grievance .

Creekbeds original post was to the point & accurate ! :)