Aldi Junk

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey foodgem,

Everything you are doing is NORMAL.

You need to change nothing except put time into your machine.

This happened to me as well when I first started.

You need to make an adjustment where your expectation comes back to the reality of all metal detecting.

The forum is packed to the brim of pics of our glorious finds. If you had another forum that only showed the junk and trash we have to dig to get those finds it would be hundreds of times larger than this forum.

A Pin-pointer and a small steel potting garden spade will reduce the frustration of not quickly locating a target.

Good luck and keep preserving and the treasure will come (between copious amounts of trash)

RS

Hi Foodgem.

My aldi has been going well. So far ive had an evening down the beach and a day in the backyard.

I have found that down the beach it goes much better in the dry loose sand as apposed to tighter packed wet sand which gives me false signals and pings off all over the place producing no finds.

In the backyard i just dig every strong target that i am able to pinpoint and each has come up with a find.

Im yet to try any parks but that will be next on the list.

Here are some of my finds so far:
On the left hand side are my beach finds. Some caps and coin and on the right is 20mins in the backyard.
1420879710_hhhh.jpg

Today, a few hours in the backyard digging every target.
On the far right are the tools ive been using to help me dig. A garden trowel with measurements also a blade i took from my last job that helps me cut the ground before i use the trowel and often i can use it to pin point and flick the target out instead of having to dig and fill.
1420880063_021hjhj.jpg

I hope this has helped you a little :)

Cheers
Jules

At the moment I'm managing to pop them with my knife.
I go to cut out a circle so I can pop out the grass in one go with the trowel but I'd say 8 times out of 10 the blade will hit the object and I can flip it out before needing to remove any ground. :)

Hey Foodgem

Like some others have said - if you can get a hand held pin pointer - either Garrett or Minelab will do - you won't need to cut a plug all the time because you'll know precisely where the target is and if the pinpointed can't find it then you know you need to cut a plug because it's more than 4 inches under.

They are expensive (more than the detector you have) but it will make you more successful and you will enjoy it more. Most treasure is found within 4 inches in dirt and 8 inches on the beach.

I started like you so let us save you some time and frustration ;)

1/2 circle Bangas,...that way the grass is still attached and recovers much quicker(just bend your plug over).

I work very close to http://www.minersden.com.au/

I might just pop in there on Monday and grab a pinpointer. I presume they'll have stock as it's the only pinpointer they sell.

I actually ended up with 3 Aldi detectors so by the time I return or sell 2 of 3 I'll have covered the cost of the pinpointer anyway.

Cheers for all the advice.

I will report back with.

Paulmar is definitely sharing the BEST ADVISE to anybody starting out
GET YOURSELF A PINPOINTER
Absolutely the best investment...
I have a Garrett which is great ... But i love my Deteknix that i use and wouldnt go without ;)

Sandta said:
I have a Garrett which is great ... But i love my Deteknix that i use and wouldnt go without ;)

geepers i thought i mentioned that first :8

but hey not here for the glory ;)

The doctors on "F"I"R"E",....(haha).(just funin).....\("_")/.....
Doctor said:
Sandta said:

silver said:
Doctor said:
Sandta said:

whats that mean :8

i am a little slow 8.(

I mean you musta got in first on another thread Doc.(I looked from the start of this one).
Doctor said:
silver said:
Doctor said:
Sandta said:

whats that mean :8

i am a little slow 8.(

For any coin / jewellery and relic hunters who might be disillusioned with the junk tally don't despair lol , the comparison with gold hunters is we might dig 50 - 200 bits of junk to every bit of gold.

Also if you dig and expose a tin can in the ground don't leave it there , it could be full of someone's coin stash or gold nuggets

HeadsUp said:
For any coin / jewellery and relic hunters who might be disillusioned with the junk tally don't despair lol , the comparison with gold hunters is we might dig 50 - 200 bits of junk to every bit of gold.

Also if you dig and expose a tin can in the ground don't leave it there , it could be full of someone's coin stash or gold nuggets

50-200 bits of junk, at that rate, man i am so ready for more gold to come my way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Picked up the pinpointer this morning and had a hit at the original park again. I was right in my assumption that the benches were falsing out the detector but I did get a couple of signals under the seats.

First off, the pinpoint is AMAZING. I reckon I worked 4 or 5 times faster. I popped almost every target with my chisel facing sideways and I only needed to pull the shovel out once to lever out a bit of can.

The bad news is junk junk and more junk. Mostly bottle caps. Here's my haul for about 1 1/2hrs worth.

The best find was of course the cricket ball but that was just in a patch of grass - no detector was necessary.

I was in awe of how fast I could work with the pinpointer and on more than one occasion I put it down on the grass to pull out a target and managed to lay it down on top of another target.

Overall the haul was disappointing but I was really happy with how fast I could work and how little digging I needed to do. The Aldi detector did a great job, I found something at every signal it gave (apart from the false ones). I have renewed enthusiasm thanks to the pinpointer.

Pic below:

1421047918_wp_20150112_17_08_07_pro.jpg

By my count I was pulling something out of the ground nearly every 2 minutes, so I'm quite happy with that. I pretty much never turned the pinpointer off, just held it in my other hand.

Latest posts