Advice Please on Coin / Relice shooting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSellin

Brent
Reaction score
Hi gang, I tried to do some park coin / anything shooting today and found that the earth here is insanely hard. To the point I bent the tip of my little spade and on a separate dig, bent the handle. (Cheap bunnings job) Whats worse is I have to put a lot of effort into digging holes for things, so am curious;

- do you run around with a mini pick axe or a full blown shovel with a sharp tip?
- does anyone get the shites with you digging holes and burying them back in in a park?
- whats a good cost effective digging tool for hard earth / tough buffalo grass and a miracle?

I have done research and found out that the lookout hill in Gladstone is the same hill, unchanged for 100 yrs, there is a small canteen on top, but the hill has always been a grassy knoll for everyone to walk on and watch the ships come into the harbour. I want to scout it out but I am aware the ground is hard dirt and tight nitted stubborn grass and I will need something to dig into it. Any tips on how to dig into hard earth would be great, thanks.

Thanks

B

Hi when I go into public areas like parks I try to make as small a hole as I can so as not to disturb the area, I like to leave it so no one can see where I've dug. It's difficult In hard ground but what I do is get the signal with my detector then use my probe to pin point exactly where it is then use a small scoop or knife and cut away until I find the target only making a small hole. The good thing also about using the probe it doesn't go very deep as most targets in parks like modern coins etc are usually just under the surface so you done need to go deep. Hope that helps.

Tom.

B, I will be honest with ya mate if the soil is real hard in a park i just don't dig there until the wet season breaks and the soil becomes nice and soft. In good parks i don't use a digging tool, but a good screw driver or automotive gasket scraper. In good parks i run my sensitivity on my detector low as only to detect good targets down about 3-4 inches max. Look up coin popping on youtube. This is a great method not only for coins but rings etc. I like to look at it like this, By the time you have dug down deep on one target i have detected and popped out 10 targets etc. This allows you to recover more targets and at the same time not damage the grass. If you are to dig a bit deeper than i use the slit method of recovery. To view this method look on youtube for digging targets in sensitive areas. If you can not find these sites let me know and i will find them and post link. When the wet breaks then the soil will be much better, i know your inching to get out there and find some stuff but you will make a bloody mess on those lawns. Try the beaches around Gladstone there's sure to be some good stuff around....good luck

rain makes it all easier, I just use a pinch bar and push it down under the signal and lift a huge wad out, it's so big it has its own integrity. I pinpoin the coin, in the hole or the lump and then replace the huge clod. This way I don't destroy too many roots and there is no die back from my investigation like there is if i cut a neat hole.

Does not work when it's dry though. Might try the coin popping with screw driver and needlely pliers.

Latest posts