Adelaide (SA) South Australia information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full free copy of the "Record of the mines of South Australia" - full text version. What the South Aussies call the 'Blue Bible' (the original was a blue book). You can download in various formats or read on-line. Follow the link and good hunting. There are also records of WW2 camps floating about around the internet although they seem to be on private land or restricted forestry access land that is now all owned by the Americans (example - the PoW camp near Mt Gambier).

https://archive.org/details/arecordminessou00browgoog

Hey guys,
Thank you so much for the info, Ill be studying that lot tonight.

Regards,
Paul

Hey Coyote,
I notice where gold has been found in rivers SA Water have put no access......As if a bit of sand/dirt will affect water quality. Good on ya SA Water!

Cheers,
Paul

paul_mac1 said:
Hey Coyote,
I notice where gold has been found in rivers SA Water have put no access......As if a bit of sand/dirt will affect water quality. Good on ya SA Water!

Cheers,
Paul

Well even if you did find Gold in them creeks/rivers you can't sell it as it remains the property of the SA Gobernment.

Cliff

As far as I'm concerned, if I pay over $1000 for a detector, and have to pay for permits to detect, it should belong to the finder, such a rediculous situation in SA. Mind you, have to find something first, which is half the battle. :rolleyes:

I agree goldpick it's as if the SA government think they have found it, ah well nothing new with Gestapo S.A. they still think everyone came over on the first fleet lol guilty til proven innocent hey :eek:

Cheers
Paul

I heard the creek behind Birdwood is good for some colour but have never tried myself. I think it might be the upper reaches of the Torrens River. Echunga was a bit of a hotspot too I believe but again I have never been there.

Best of luck,

Matt

Hey guys thanks so much for the info, I'll go for a wonder next week when I get home, any takers for a local panning/detectoring trip after Tuesday next week?

Cheers
Paul

can anybody tell me where out of Adelaide heading north or west up to two days drive can I find somewhere to have a detect.

There is always the usual spots near Adelaide, given recent bushfires or if willing to bash through blachberries, then still plenty of places nearby. I meaning ground that wasnt previously accessible. Cheers Brett.

Bindy, The only Public Land we can detect for gold around Adelaide is Mt Crawford Forrest, Jupiter Creek Echunga and attract a fee of $5. (I was at Mt Crawford last week) Unless someone knows of anywhere else.

You can prospect on private land but need the owners permission. There are areas near Yunta and in the Flinders, but again private land or National Park

You can detect beaches as far as I'm aware anywhere

Jupiter Creek and Chapel Hill at Echunga are free to detect at (only Mt Crawford attracts a fee). Mt Crawford is the most open and largest area to detect at, whereas the othe two areas have very dense scrub and many dangerous open shafts (see my repsonse in "Members Introduction"). If at Mount Crawford, try and have a detect away from Watts Gully, as every man and his dog goes there, plus lots of rubbish - there are many other gullies worth detecting. It is also worth trying to source a decent map from the mine dept on the Mt Crawford diggings, as what the Forrestry dept supplies is pretty basic. Many areas also have locked gates, so be prepared to walk to any areas of interest, or try and work your way through the various roads and tracks from the front entrance, closest to the forrestry headquarters where you grab your permit from. You can get the permit from the front office if there early enough in the morning , if closed, there is a box containing the permits, pens and envelopes for the small daily fee. :)

Yes it's $5 at Mt Crawford, last week the Watts Gully Rd and the Old Watts Gully Rd were the only 2 that had open gates, every other track was locked.

thanks for the info on Adelaide people, any time anyone heads down south for a scratch I'll be more than happy to put you on the right track.

If you head up to teetulpa goldfield (beautiful location by the way) youll need to get permission from peter lewis. He now ownes most of the lease. Ive been up the a couple times and never seen a soul however last time it was packed with detectorists. The rivers of adelaide have been knoiwn to give up the goodies from time to time ;)
More of a panning trip though. Too much junk. Good luck!

Hi guys went to Birdwood yesterday, found a nice little creek, had a chat to the land owner after he came down to see what we where doing on his land, he was ok about us being there and said people used to go there with dredges and pretty much cleaned the place out, so we found nothing, didn't really know where else to go, as the government has no access pretty much everywhere.

If anyone fancies a trip out sometime, who knows the area, let me know

Cheers
Paul

Latest posts