add "tracking" security to your detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pete&bozzo said:
Looks like you bloke need to set up a sting opp and video and chatch them in the act .I have a dog with me all the time and lets me know if someone is around.
All valuable s go in a lock draw in my troopy when im away from the vehical .they away come back to the crime sooner or later and every district will have a local thief is my experience in life

yeah there is always one or two , should put a tracker in them

HeadsUp said:
Due to detectors being used predominantly in rural areas I think the Bluetooth tag type of tracker is not the most reliable option.

They are awesome for their small size though but you can't rely on the thief bringing your stolen detector back to a suburban area.

I use a lot of GPS trackers in equipment I build for mining companies , so far the best ones I have used will give 10 - 12 weeks of battery life between recharge but they are 150 X 50 X 40 mm , you're not going to fit that inside a GPX 5000 case unless you make a fake box on the side and label it " mine lab anti interference kit #056 "

I use TK15 units which claim 300 days in standby but reality is 2-3 months , hook them up to an intermittent charge timer and you have a solid solution.

There is still room for a better product to be used in detectors though, smaller with a longer battery life would be nice.

all good but the battery needs to be smaller than the TK15

One point to remember with GPS trackers, is that GPS needs a clear sky view to get coords. Some good units will get a signal near a window but if your detector is hidden well inside a house, garage, shed etc, it is unlikely to be able to receive coords. Then comes the issue of a transmitter! Most Rx can be easily blocked. The setup would obviously only 'ping' when the thief takes it out. You then need to be on the ball to track it down before it goes back in storage. Given that you don't know when it might be taken out you could be caught not looking at the right time.
Its a very problematic issue.

Latest posts