add "tracking" security to your detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
small trackers that fit on keyrings, in wallets, on pushbikes,etc can be purchased on ebay, about the size of a 20cent coin, some have a motion sensor that turns on if item is moved after activation as well, and will send an alert to your smart phone or laptop, and all are trackable, 1 should fit inside a detector easily, cheap insurance. worth a thought folks :)

That is a novel idea but the problem with the cheap units is that they work on triangulation of cell phone towers. This is not very accurate, as opposed to GPS positioning (within a few meters).

Forgive any grammatical/spelling/logical errors as I've drafted this out before finding my bed. :)

I would not do any purchase of a unit if it does not have GPS; some advertise as such (plenty of those on eBay) but do not have a GPS chip at all, using cell phone towers for triangulation. At least you know where it is, within a Km radius +/- a few hundred meters, since to do that it would need mobile SIM capability and possibly can send location data to you. Handy if it is in the bush but not so much once it gets into the suburbs (by which time it would have been found and promptly disposed of).

Problem two however is where they do not use a mobile sim card at all (ie, no means to transmit GPS co ordinates to a remote device) operate either using blue tooth (out of luck if the device gets out of range of your phone paired to it) or worse still with mesh networks (battery drain looking for the phone and/or another device to transmit to), which is pointless when the devices nearest neighbor is over 10 Km away (out of range).

Another problem with the cheap units is longevity. Battery life is uncomfortably short when idling and shorter still when you actively connect to the device (where it is capable of transmitting its location) as polling GPS/mobile reception towers uses energy to generate location data prior to transmission (again more power use, presuming it has that functionality).

I looked at similar devices to get cheap GPS car tracking before settling on attaching an older model smartphone to a vehicle. Tracking is simple with Google providing Android Device Manager (Find my phone), Samsung devices have a similar program or even third party apps like Prey. Phone tracking, especially where GPS is in the phone, is ideal and a proven technology and it does not need to be the latest and greatest to do the job (some of you reading this post probably have a spare smart phone lying around that would work for car tracking).

Battery life is good and better still if you can wire it up a vehicle, but be careful with placement of the phone because of the battery, same reason to avoid battery powered car dash cameras in favor of the super-capacitor units. Just be careful what SIM card plan you use, preferably prepaid with no excess data costs (no bill shock) and online recharge so the phone stays undisturbed. Check intermittently that it is still tracking/working correctly so you can fix any issues before Murphy pays you a visit (Murphy's Law).

Phone (or similar device) should IMO have at least 3G on any device you use; Telstra 2G is being shut down Dec 1 2016 so mind that when looking at the cheap car/boat/caravan units on eBay or those TK units that cost a bit more than an older smart phone (nothing about them screams avoid to me, pending 2G v 3G/4G, but I had the spare phone lying around so saved a little coin :D ).

Not sure what I would use on a GPX/Zed (opening the box = goodbye warranty, don't do that) as there are not too many places to hide a phone. A phone in a protective cover would be a short term solution, but someone stealing one of these is clever enough to know about phone tracking, IMEI device tracking and other tricks of the trade will either attempt to flash the phone quickly, remove the battery or simply leave it in your car/campsite so your not instantly aware of being burgled to catch them in the act.

Otherwise it is finding a phone/similar device that fits the technical requirements and can be attached somewhere the untrained eye will not find it, just seems a waste to have the battery unit right there and not be able to leech off it between recharge and outings for that extra peace of mind.

I'm hoping posting the above however will get some peoples grey matter going so I can benefit in protecting my investment (paid more for it than I did my car actually :8 ); or Minelab catch on and add an accessory and/or something inside the box for future models and savings on recovering lost stock.

Now I believe I was off to bed... :p

When I came over here I could not believe the difference in the crime rate, But it seems to be growing in OZ all be it a fair few years later,

What can a person say, Speechless.

John.

Wishfull said:
You can blame the crime rate on f#*^g drugs

Well the just said on the News yesterday that the total of Arrests is down by 20% this year for drugs than it was last year because the police are backing off from arresting them.

DeathKiss said:
Coz they are busy catching speeders over 2km..... :D

One was in court over here a week or so ago for doing 176+ MPH or 283.18 kph and he only go a small fine, lol

You can get Bluetooth trackers such as Tile which is what I assume the OP is talking about. They don't have an internal GPS of their own. They rely on someone nearby who has the appropriate app on their phone with Bluetooth etc turned on. This persons phone connects to the tag and logs its position at that moment. If the tag is registered as stolen or lost on the app then you will be notified of its current location.

They are much cheaper than the trackers that have their own GPS and SIM card but you would want to at least buy one of the more popular tags so there are more people roaming around with the app on their phone.

I don't own any Bluetooth tags but I looked into it not that long ago.

Due to detectors being used predominantly in rural areas I think the Bluetooth tag type of tracker is not the most reliable option.

They are awesome for their small size though but you can't rely on the thief bringing your stolen detector back to a suburban area.

I use a lot of GPS trackers in equipment I build for mining companies , so far the best ones I have used will give 10 - 12 weeks of battery life between recharge but they are 150 X 50 X 40 mm , you're not going to fit that inside a GPX 5000 case unless you make a fake box on the side and label it " mine lab anti interference kit #056 "

I use TK15 units which claim 300 days in standby but reality is 2-3 months , hook them up to an intermittent charge timer and you have a solid solution.

There is still room for a better product to be used in detectors though, smaller with a longer battery life would be nice.

HeadsUp said:
Due to detectors being used predominantly in rural areas I think the Bluetooth tag type of tracker is not the most reliable option.

I guess the type of tracker used comes down to how much the detector is worth and how good your insurance is.

Also the mobile reception at the pawn shop is probably quite good :)

OK guys, I know not many have experience in electronics, but I do... For around 70 dollars aussie I can build an arduino based device that can be hidden inside the actual unit, supply GPS coordinates to a secure website and even shut down the power to the device from remote using either a web app or smartphone app. I am SURE it can be done cheaper but it would be a larger unit in that case (about the size of half a pack of smokes). RFID authentication can be built in to prove ownership amongst a plethora of other features including a GPS backlog, camera tech, sound recording and even GPS waypoint marking if you would like to use the device to mark potential finds... contact me if youre interested, all my work is 100% custom built and unique to the customer, you will NEVER EVER find another unit that looks the same or operates in exactly the same manner as yours if you choose this service. Tracking units can be built that take up no more room than a matchbox, all the way up to your desired size (and can incorporate LCVD (touch screen displays) for marking waypoints or even security features such as fingerprint or PIN identification!

Zeeke said:
OK guys, I know not many have experience in electronics, but I do... For around 70 dollars aussie I can build an arduino based device that can be hidden inside the actual unit, supply GPS coordinates to a secure website and even shut down the power to the device from remote using either a web app or smartphone app. I am SURE it can be done cheaper but it would be a larger unit in that case (about the size of half a pack of smokes). RFID authentication can be built in to prove ownership amongst a plethora of other features including a GPS backlog, camera tech, sound recording and even GPS waypoint marking if you would like to use the device to mark potential finds... contact me if youre interested, all my work is 100% custom built and unique to the customer, you will NEVER EVER find another unit that looks the same or operates in exactly the same manner as yours if you choose this service. Tracking units can be built that take up no more room than a matchbox, all the way up to your desired size (and can incorporate LCVD (touch screen displays) for marking waypoints or even security features such as fingerprint or PIN identification!

Would they need a SIM card ?

What battery life can be achieved between charges if they are in sleep mode ?

Can they be placed in sleep mode and wake up if they breach a geo fence zone ?

I , to have been looking at tracking devices, with good battery life , but the issue in question relates to coverage, a sim card type needs phone coverage to work, but getting a plan may be costly, the smaller blue tooth things that are available look good but the question operational range and then the sell promo,they can use other same brand name items to expand the effective zone , but how many are out there ???? brand names, tile , nut track tracr , one brand is available at anaconda stores others thru the dealer good specials offered on at the moment but before I would take the plunge need assurance on operational distances and battery like. a dead battery the thing can't sent out the signal, I had a TK15 but the battery life did not live up to the 30 odd hours suggested, was gunna make a squillion selling to parents and pensioners , the same with game triail cameras, battery life and night time performance not as expected but day time pic are excellent , but the trigger could be anything temp change bugs light winds etc good for telling who pinched your gear
I am surprised the zeeke hasnt responded to the above questions on the forum

The only issue with using a tracker is most of them fail due to lack of connectivity and battery life. The other thing is what do you do if you find the device.
I used find my iphone app to track down my daughters stolen phone and the police were not interested in case. I even handed them the address etc. No good.
So I went around and well it did not end well and I did not get the phone back so I bricked it remotely. Then locked out phone from network access via optus.

Maybe Minelab could consider putting a tracking function in their high end detectors. Some models have a gps in them so its not a giant leap for them to have an option to send a detector identification number & coordinate signal via SMS to a phone or Minelab website if the are used without say..the authorised operator entering a code.
RDD

Looks like you bloke need to set up a sting opp and video and chatch them in the act .I have a dog with me all the time and lets me know if someone is around.
All valuable s go in a lock draw in my troopy when im away from the vehical .they away come back to the crime sooner or later and every district will have a local thief is my experience in life

Latest posts