Accessing Private Property - QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I have been watching a lot of gold prospecting DVD's based in Australia, however, I have one question:

How do you get approval to go on someones land? do you simply knock on the door and ask them?

I want to take a couple of weeks off work and travel up North Queensland, however, I do not really feel comfortable researching gold fields and traveling all the way up there with my girlfriend, tent,
luggage etc... to find out... that no one is going to let me on their property.

I am also concerned that if people live in an area known for gold... that they are possibly going to get really annoyed with people frequently knocking on their door asking to prospect.

Is there a more... formal way? for example, is there a way to find out who owns a property and perhaps... contact them sending them a letter in the post or looking them up in the phonebook and calling
them PRIOR to me leaving for a trip?

I am very interested in peoples opinons on this.

Thanks.

Luke.

Hi luke,
It can be a tricky issue getting permission to fossick on private lands, and can take some time to build enough trust for land holders to allow you onto their property. Dont give up on your holiday just yet though there are a number of general fossicking areas up here as well as places like flat creek station and mt mulligan which allow prospectors for a small fee. Also forsayth ans georgetown are worth the travel time if your camp and fossick, just have to be mindful of mining leases current in the area.
Hope this helps you some. TGW

Hey Luke
Yes access is hard even for locals!
If you give us a bit more of an idea on where you are headed for how long some of us may be able to make some suggestions, where are you travelling from? for me you would want to have at least one sure thing to make it worth the trip.
cheers
Lee

A payment of around $15 at a Council Office will get you a property owners details(most people don't realise this), one time the girl behind the desk said to me, "You can't do that !" and the older girl further back said to her, "Yes he can !". and then you can use the phone book to look up their ph. no.(better than a note left on a gate that never gets answered). So for a small fee and an instant response with a few minutes to spare, you can be(with any luck) talking to the property owner.

I was speaking to Mount Mulligan station just the other day about the same thing, the fee is $10 a day, you can detect or prospect in the creeks. give them a call to discuss your plans, there is gold in that region, plenty of good gold. The staff will tell you where you can and cant go and what you can and cant do.

Another place to try is Tryconnell, they are a fantastic couple, give them a call again and discuss your plans, they can guide you some what.

Getting access further north and west can be a challenge.

I am planning on going out that way in April some time..

Good Luck.

Latest posts