Aboriginal/indigenous weather systems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The European conception of weather and seasons is typically that of spring summer fall and winter, and while this may be accurate in some parts of the world, it isnt for the whole planet.

In Australia we are blessed to have access to some truly ancient and well-tested wisdom about both human nature and the country - the most ancient in the world in fact. Nowhere else comes close to 40k+ years of knowledge.

Across Australia different aboriginal cultures had different seasons according to their country. You can explore some of them here (linked system is for the Melbourne area): http://www.bom.gov.au/iwk/calendars/gariwerd.shtml

Youll find that, for the locality, these ways of describing the seasons is far more accurate than the European way, which is used everywhere without really much consideration as to its accuracy. Im from the other side of the planet but I feel more affinity for this way of thinking about the environment in a very localized way far more amenable to really grokking my surroundings.

Can we get an Aboriginal flag emoticon? :D

Edit: typo

Its all out of date now they invented climate change.

My land is scattered over about a 10 sq kilometer area and theres 3 slightly different seasons over that small area , roughly 14 days earlier from one extreem to the other.
Plants flower , paddocks dry off and animals do their thing according to the seasons and its noticeable.

The biggest trouble is the government keeps making regions , shires and LLS areas larger to save money ,which in turn makes them more useless and wasteful.

BrokeInBendigo said:
The European conception of weather and seasons is typically that of spring summer fall and winter, and while this may be accurate in some parts of the world, it isnt for the whole planet.

In Australia we are blessed to have access to some truly ancient and well-tested wisdom about both human nature and the country - the most ancient in the world in fact. Nowhere else comes close to 40k+ years of knowledge.

Across Australia different aboriginal cultures had different seasons according to their country. You can explore some of them here (linked system is for the Melbourne area): http://www.bom.gov.au/iwk/calendars/gariwerd.shtml

Youll find that, for the locality, these ways of describing the seasons is far more accurate than the European way, which is used everywhere without really much consideration as to its accuracy. Im from the other side of the planet but I feel more affinity for this way of thinking about the environment in a very localized way far more amenable to really grokking my surroundings.

Can we get an Aboriginal flag emoticon? :D

Edit: typo

Be nice to have an aborigional flag emotion but as its copyrighted now that cost the forum money. The afl are having a spat right now with the owners of it.

Latest posts