a video of my highankers introduction to water

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving the setup Tom. I'm not sure if I've previously asked but what brand / model is this and how much do they cost?

Cheers,
Nugget

Hey nugget, I built this one, when I say built I mean I got the aluminium sheet bent up and welded by an engineer and did the rest myself, all up with the Chinese pump it cost about 500 including the hoses and fittings, the design is based on a heap of other highbankers on the net, I took an idea from each one and added a few of my own

Incredible mate well done, I thought she was a bought one for sure. Great craftsmanship.

Top looking bit of kit being home made & all!

Nice work.

Is , underneath the classifier screen just a section of rubber to angle anything that goes thru to the back of the sluice?

I like it & recon I might do that to the hopper I'm making - so simple...

I did think about buying one but could never afford it so I thort If I built one over a period of time it wouldn't seem so bad, then I started obsessing about it and wanted to make it as clean, light and functional as possible, I had it out yesterday for the second time and it worked ok, I haven't panned of the cons yet but there was a couple of pickers in the catch tray, if I was to do it all over I would probably change a couple of things like the two different riffle sections. They both require different water flows to perform properly but for now I try and find a happy medium

Hey ag man, yeah I put the rubber there to sort of ease the material down to the next stage so it didn't get that sudden drop and spread out all over the place, you'll have to do a mission down to bingy one day and we can take it out for a dig. How's yours comin along?

Great well built banker there Tom, good to see that home built is starting to take off in a big way. The satisfaction of finding the gold is much greater when It's caught in a personalized home built machine. Some of the manufactures may look down on us.....but who cares i say. Good luck on the stream mate.

Cheers Wal. :)

Tommtb7 said:
Hey ag man, yeah I put the rubber there to sort of ease the material down to the next stage so it didn't get that sudden drop and spread out all over the place, you'll have to do a mission down to bingy one day and we can take it out for a dig. How's yours comin along?

I'd angle your front legs so they tilt forward. It'll be more stable when working it.

I'm still throwing ideas around in my head. I think I got all the materials here now.
Prolly going with the Wal inspired spray bar or two jets blasting backwards into the hopper. My last highbanker had all them little holes in the spray bar & kept clogging. Quite often don't have cleanish water here & got sick of clearing the holes.
Seen a couple set up with a backwards facing jet - looks good & a decent boiling action.
Got the bottom sluice, legs etc.

Lots of things on the go atm though so everything is seemingly going slow.

We ducked down for Mother's day to Bingi, was a flying visit. When there next, I will make the effort to catch up & go for a dig.

Thanks chris. Yeah wal it was good fun building it and even more fun using it, hey Marty I was gonna use the same legs on the front as what I used for the back, they were off an old tripod but for obvious reasons I didn't have enough haha, I've been doin a bit of reading on the tanjil area and wouldn't mind heading up that way when I get time ay

Ag Man said:
Tommtb7 said:

I'd angle your front legs so they tilt forward. It'll be more stable when working it.

I'm still throwing ideas around in my head. I think I got all the materials here now.
Prolly going with the Wal inspired spray bar or two jets blasting backwards into the hopper. My last highbanker had all them little holes in the spray bar & kept clogging. Quite often don't have cleanish water here & got sick of clearing the holes.
Seen a couple set up with a backwards facing jet - looks good & a decent boiling action.
Got the bottom sluice, legs etc.

Lots of things on the go atm though so everything is seemingly going slow.

We ducked down for Mother's day to Bingi, was a flying visit. When there next, I will make the effort to catch up & go for a dig.

Hay Marty,
Try putting your pump pickup in a wire waste paper basket to keep the crud out of the pump and spray bars.
I got mine from the reject shop for 5 bucks.

Cheers
Mick

1369693415_image.jpg

Here's one I knocked up Marty under ten bucks, haven't flushed out the spray bars yet so dunno how effective it was

Waste basket is a good idea too..

I used to use a pot plant pot with shade cloth tied round it. That would work till the shade cloth clogged.

It was only a small highbanker... maybe the holes in the spraybar were too small as well...

It's long gone now to a new home :) .

New unit is bigger & better.

i think my holes were 4mm from memory, if its the same sluice you use in your videos its gonna be one mighty highbanker haha

Nahr, just bigger than my mini banker I had :D

the bottom sluice is part off an old dredge,
It's about 250mm wide & 1.2M long.
The hopper I'm thinking 600mm long, 250mm wide at the bottom, angled up for better hopper access.

the flaired hopper is one thing i wish i did with mine ey, it doesnt give ya much room to play with, what riffle design are ya thinkin mate?

That's the sluice part. 2nd hand but must work alright because there was still very fine gold in the carpet :D
Carpet, expanded metal, then two sections of different sized riffles.
1369722665_image.jpg

Latest posts