A few Bits on wednesday with SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roscoe

Ross
Reaction score
I borrowed a sdc2300 and run it over a flogged patch and found these bits in about 3-4 hrs. I would like to thank George from the NQ Miners Den for the opportunity to have a go with the SDC2300 for the day. Thanks George.

1408074756_dscf0278.jpg

1408074800_dscf0281.jpg

NICE :lol: .... I'm really starting to like how handy these SDC's are for cleaning up the small stuff, might start saving for one and on the up side the missus will be able to use it when we're out together.

Nice work.. Can I ask what was the signal like on those little guys? Meaning was it a definite "dig me" sound or slight buzz possibly worth investigating. Also how deep do you reckon they were?

All signals were a very clear dig me signal nugget. Two of those targets the fellow i was with came over with Gpx5000 and it did not signal with 11 mono on those targets. The reasons was there was a lot of EMI that day and the ground is shallow to bed rock, the Gpx had to operate in sens. smooth the SDC was more immune to it and i could run at 4 sensitivity. Whilst i was out with the SDC i tested the detector on in situ gold targets at different settings on the SDC. The SDC has a very chattery threshold, but don't worry about that, targets come through loud and clear. :)

Did its performance make an impression? What I mean is could you justify its use with the price tag? That little blue machine excels at the task, still trying to get my head around the price vs hitting subgrammers. Only seen three in action so interested to hear. Can't wait for daily/weekly hires.

The target response is great on these things. I got my smallest ever bit today with the SDC2300 (I know it's not a brag worthy bit but it's still good to get them). It was only 0.04gram & was about 3" down under loamy soil/leaf litter then a few scrapes into the clay. The signal was a definite "dig me" & I was on a basalt littered area. Had just dug a piece of bantam chook egg sized basalt right near it. Some of the basalt (minimal) was giving me signals - this place has thousands if not millions of these rocks & I had about 8 give me a signal. Other detectors I've used here haven't faired any better & if anything tend to have given me more "hot" signals. The smaller bits of basalt were sounding like small but promising targets so when I pinged the gold I was thinking it was another bit of basalt. There was another "noisy" bit of basalt only about 6" away. The SDC was able to deal with the ground, although still signalling on some obviously higher iron content bits of basalt, & still maintain good depth & sensitivity on small gold.
1408093943_14080930618431.jpg

1408093977_14080930518620.jpg

The sub grammers, while not impressive size wise, are still great fun to find. The cost vs. finding them will be an individual choice. It will however, in my opinion, still ping larger gold at good depths. Sub grammers are its forte but gram + nuggets at reasonable depth will not surprise me. My deepest hole dug today (iron trash) was over a foot deep. Was over 1/2 the length of my pick handle & its about 600mm or so long. That was higher up in orange/red clay with a high concentration of ironstone & the red streaked quartz. Impressive enough for me & still lots of areas to try out yet.
We can argue forever over price vs. value but to me that's an individual choice - your either willing to pay or your not. Each to their own but I like it & know it will get plenty of use.

Roscoe said:
The SDC has a very chattery threshold, but don't worry about that, targets come through loud and clear. :)

Suppose everyones definition of "chattery" will vary but think I know what you mean -- it's not just a straight out hum but seems to sort of cut in and out -- without a real change in tone, targets make a definite impression on the signal and I usually hope for a nice "mellow" variance indicating something a little deeper than the "screamers" that surface trash seems to register.

Just curious as to how others treat the real "screamers", just a boot scrape ond leave it if the target moves or do you even bother .... I now tend to walk away from these.

Cheers T.

Guys, keep your ears open for a threshold pull. Hard to explain but its like its trying to produce a signal but what you get is a momentary smoothing of the threshold. These are the deeper ones

Teemore said:
Roscoe said:
The SDC has a very chattery threshold, but don't worry about that, targets come through loud and clear. :)

Suppose everyones definition of "chattery" will vary but think I know what you mean -- it's not just a straight out hum but seems to sort of cut in and out -- without a real change in tone, targets make a definite impression on the signal and I usually hope for a nice "mellow" variance indicating something a little deeper than the "screamers" that surface trash seems to register.

Just curious as to how others treat the real "screamers", just a boot scrape ond leave it if the target moves or do you even bother .... I now tend to walk away from these.

Cheers T.

Light boot scrape and if it moves I'll leave it. But in virgin ground or away from diggings this could be risky. But don't ignore the screamers that are just under the surface. I've dug 3 or 4 bits so far that were literally in the grass roots!

PhaseTech said:
Guys, keep your ears open for a threshold pull. Hard to explain but its like its trying to produce a signal but what you get is a momentary smoothing of the threshold. These are the deeper ones

i reckon it does that because it's constantly tracking and what you are hearing is a pause in the tracking, theres no signal because the target is at the extreme depth for that size /shape target and the machine is only getting enough info to pause the tracking.
regards tm

Roscoe said:
Does the tracking pause on the sdc2300?

it does on all minelab p.i's, you used to be able to adjust how much info was needed to make it pause, therefore you could raise to amount of info needed to get rid of some ground noise or on quiet ground you could lower it and get a few more deep ones.
regards tm

Thanks Trashmagnet, I was always under the believe it only paused track on ground balance specific on the Gpx5000 and in normal tracking it could balance objects out, well i will have to go read my manual a bit more. :)

Roscoe said:
Thanks Trashmagnet, I was always under the believe it only paused track on ground balance specific on the Gpx5000 and in normal tracking it could balance objects out, well i will have to go read my manual a bit more. :)

no worry's mate
the only targets you can track out with a 5000 are the ones that are below the pause point,
if you had a target on the surface that gives a good signal you can swing over it all day in tracking and not lose it, but if you have a very deep one for it's size that is a very small response in the threshold then you can reduce the response with in half a dozen swings in tracking. these response are the ones that just give a small threshold change because there is such a small amount of info for the machine to tell the difference between a ground noise and a slight target response it can get it wrong and think it's ground noise therefore tracking it out.
regards tm

Good info to know fella's thanks, because i like to use tracking. Currently i switch to fixed when i get a signal to prevent tracking the target out. :)

Roscoe said:
Good info to know fella's thanks, because i like to use tracking. Currently i switch to fixed when i get a signal to prevent tracking the target out. :)

switching to fixed is a great habit to get into mate I would continue to do that, as if you leave it in tracking and sit the machine down to dig you should rebalance every time you pick the machine up but if in fixed there's no need to do that and no chance of reducing iffy targets and thinking it was ground noise.
regards tm

Latest posts