A Day At Tambaroora & Turon River

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFossickingKid

Angus Madden
Reaction score
This morning we were off to Hill End for a dig. Dad dropped me of at a spot at Tambaroora that had a lot of crevices that looked promising.
1461317913_image.jpeg

After a few test pans around the place that all showed no gold I decided to go around the place with the pin pointer to see what I could find. I found a few peices of metal but no gold. After awhile it started to rain so I packed up and went back to a mates place.

We left Hill End at around 3 in the afternoon and decided to stop by at Coles Bridge.
1461319289_image.jpeg

There was only big pools around with no flow at all. I did a few test pans near the bridge with no gold. Dad took a walk down the river and came across a big hole in the river. There was plenty of tailings piles around. I took a walk further down the river and found more holes that had been left unfilled.
1461319386_image.jpeg

We did a test pan in the hole and there was 1 good size flake of gold. So we dug some dirt out of the hole and filled our buckets up and put them in the ute to take home :)

Will go through the dirt tomorrow and post the result of what I get.

Some photos of the Turon

1461320415_image.jpeg

One of the holes that were unfilled
1461320452_image.jpeg

:)

Spots on the tambaroora that are easy to get to have been flogged , look for places where people may not have been snorting up the crevices through a big drinking straw , bit more out of the way and you will find chunky bits in the crevices.

its a beautiful bright yellow there too , high purity.

in summer when we have a drought , look along the rock bars and you will see clumps of dead grass growing in the crevices , dont worry too much about those as the crevices will be shallow , however if you look for green grass in the crevices it usually means the crevice is very deep so it will probably hold more gold. ( shallow crevices with dead grass can still be worth digging though as well and assess their rewards by sampling )

On the Turon , some people dig a few feet downstream of a tree on the gravel bars however the smart thing to do is look for very old very big dead trees.

that gives you two things , the tree is dead so you can dig under its roots closer to the base of the tree without pissing off the rangers , secondly if the tree was 60 years old when it died and it looks like it died 30 - 40 years ago , then you have 100 years of flood gold under its roots .

:)

Latest posts