705 and Geovic questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronpatrol

Cameron
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I went out for a few hours today to try for some gold, first time with the 705.
I tried a spot id heard about and had looked up on Geovic.
Well the spot wasnt the geovic one in the end I dont think, but Id been to this place before.
Anyways, detector on, prospector mode, All metal mode, auto ground balance, auto noise cancel and auto track.
So I had a go at a few piles of what might have been diggings etc.
I had from what I figured to be the starndard woo and every now and then i would get a woo woo.
turn auto track off and scan as I did with a coin, dig a bit and didnt come up with anything.
I think I came up on a few hot rocks also that gave a medium woo.
I changed spots to what was meant to be some old workings.
same sort of thing woo woo on a few spots, I dug down a few inches, the woo didnt really get much louder.
there was another one that was about a 5 out of 10 on the woo scale. dug and dug but still didnt really change much.
I dropped the sensitivity down to 15 but still same sort of thing.
Then only thing I could work out was maybe its real deep, I waved it over my boot at around 1 foot or so and it sounded roughly the same.

question is are these woo woo noises just much deeper than I think and am digging?
I did find one piece of metal, part of something old. the detector went right off as I expected and found the target.

Will gold that is within reach sound like a loud regular target noise?

Next Question sorry lol
Geovic
So ive made a map with gps marks.
In short I added a mark with a lat and long reference to put in the gps as I saw on youtube, worked out another way to do it.
should be accurate.
I tried to add a mark in my garmin GPS all straight forward like ive done before but the last 3 digits had me stumped.
37o46'12"S But when I put it in the gps the gps has 3 digits at the end where the 12 goes.
So i tried 012 and also tried 120 which moved the mark lower on the map.
Put the gps in to GDA etc and tried a few other things.
Question is are these mine marks on geovic accurate?
Can I actually put them into the gps and have a good chance of finding them?
I can always add a mark to a spot that looks good anyway.

Also what should I do about the last 3 digits into the GPS?
Ive never had problems before with other coordinates.

thanks in advance and sorry for the questions again
cheers cam :)

Hi Cam,

GEOVIC coordinates are in the degrees,minutes,seconds format. I suspect that your GPS coordinate format is set to something different... maybe degrees,decimal minutes.. however you can change it in your devices settings menu.

Have a play in Google Earth preferences to see how the different coordinate formats display ;)

1503752351_screen_shot_2017-08-26_at_10.50.13_pm.jpg

Thanks mate your a bloody champ.
I had a fiddle with my gps and did some test marks on geovic seems to be working good.
thanks very much for your help.
cheers cam :Y:

just watched this vid.
seems to be showing what was hapening, so maybe i need to dig a lot deeper.
I guess we'll find out next time.
cheers

Put down a small test nugget. If you haven't got one use a tiny piece of lead. Bury it in ground a couple of inches, and see if you can hear it. Play with the threshold and set it at a position you can hear the target the clearest. If you set your threshold too low you wont hear it. Same if threshold set too loud. Also try different sensitivity settings, too high it will get noisy particularly if ground is highly mineralised and you will not hear target. Most target signals are not loud particularly deeper targets. I used to own an exterra and found the little 6 inch round coil was good for small gold, better than the eliptical. When you use a test piece put it in a small piece of brightly coloured piece of tape. So it is easily seen. I use three different sized test nuggets. This will help set up your machine to suit different conditions mineralisation etc.

Messy thanks a bunch for the lengthy info.
I had a quick brain fart as I first read your post.
No test nuggets small lead bugger where's that.
The rain fart moment der you've got a safe full of shot gun shells bahahaha
So sorted in that department.
That's a real good idea I've got different shot size to try also.

Think I'll be diving around the back of the shed today and doing some testing.
Good idea with the tape
I was thinking a ziplock bag but tape sounds better.
I guess if a muck the setting up too much I can factory reset again.
I did that yesterday just I case I had changed something.
Thanks again for your help
I'll post results when I get a chance
Cheers cam

Ahh righto that's a neat way of doing it.
I didn't get a chance today to try the experiment but I did get out for half hour chasing rubbish and. Ore rubbish.
Still good fun and practice locating and retrieving targets.
Try to cut open shot shells tonight and make up some tests.
Cheers cam :Y:

If you're looking at the Xterra 705 you won't be unhappy with it as a coin / jewellery detector and add a15 inch coil will give you a beach killer wet or dry.. coin hunting in the parks and bush it does very well at. But when it comes to gold it is very ho hum. I did find some gold with mine, small, ( not enough to buy a pub lunch) in the creek mullock heaps using a 6 inch 18 HZ coil. Would I buy it as a gold detector again, no. You can find gold but it's not really good at it. Really at the end of the day you won't find many machines out there, if any at all, that can do both jobs well. It comes down to the operator knowing them detector aswell.. it was a bit disheartening watching a goldbug come behind you and pick up gold over the ground you just went with the 705 . I now going to buy a gold detector and have one for hunting coins etc... I hope I haven't muddy the waters for :)

Cando thanks the the reply and info
I used the dd coil for the gold and swap coils for the treasure
I'm gunna make this sucker work if it's the last thing i do lol.
Learn the ins and out and test test test.
I don't have anyone with another detector I can't have some one pick up what I've missed hahaha
What I don't know won't hurt me hey.

Cando thanks the the reply and info
I used the dd coil for the gold and swap coils for the treasure
I'm gunna make this sucker work if it's the last thing i do lol.
Learn the ins and out and test test test.
I don't have anyone with another detector I can't have some one pick up what I've missed hahaha
What I don't know won't hurt me hey.

Every machine has its drawbacks. I found gold with my exterra, learning to use any machine takes time. In mineralised ground I found I had to run machine on lower settings but I did have some success using the machine that way. I found it good on pipe clay heaps pulling out tiny gold in the low mineralised soil. It takes time and experience with every machine to learn it thoroughly. Don't get disheartened stick with it and enjoy.

Thanks neddy
That's what I plan to do.
No detectors for me in the near future so learn the arse off mine and if need be a flash coil down the track.
Trying to plan a weekend trip up near swifts creek where I found some digging on geovic.
Closest real looking gold area from what I can find.
Looking forward to it.
Still need to bury the lead shot in the backyard and play around abit.

Make sure you take the test nuggets with you. It pays to use them to set machine up to the area you are detecting. After you have been detecting for an hour or so use them again to make sure machine is still right for conditions. Good luck

Thanks neddy
Good idea indeed.
Can't wait to get back out again.
I'm thinking the market spot again after work to fill the void of not being out bush.

Cameronpatrol said:
Thanks neddy
Good idea indeed.
I'm thinking the market spot again after work to fill the void of not being out bush.
i have a 705 and found a 7gram nugget in the adelaide hills looking for old coins so the 705 will find gold but probably not the small stuff.I was using the 18.75khz x 10.5 coil

flyrodder said:
Cameronpatrol said:
Thanks neddy
Good idea indeed.
i have a 705 and found a 7gram nugget in the adelaide hills looking for old coins so the 705 will find gold but probably not the small stuff.I was using the 18.75khz x 10.5 coil
Well done :Y:
That's the coil I had of for gold as I got the duel pack.
I've made up my test pieces but have to try it out over this weekend.
Cheers

Latest posts