4500 New or Old?? What is best?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot lately that the older model 45s punch deeper than the new ones. Apparently the older ones still transmit the analog signal whereas the newer ones with the 5000 mother board use a digital wave. Is this true? Brains trust . . . . Go ? Thanks guys. Btw I have a newer one. Bought 2017

Punch deeper, this amuses me, so everyone carries a number of detectors with them with various coils and checks every signal?
Cynicism is a part of my makeup, SORRY. :lol: :playful: O:)

Getting back to your question RobboChasinYella the original GPX-4500 was and is a "gold finder".
Get to know your machine and forget about the "brains trust."
Swung an SD-2100 for ten years and the "brains trust" told me I was a dinosaur, at the end of the period their jar was about level with mine. :Y: And yes they updated
with each model.

RobboChasinYella said:
I have been hearing a lot lately that the older model 45s punch deeper than the new ones. Apparently the older ones still transmit the analog signal whereas the newer ones with the 5000 mother board use a digital wave. Is this true? Brains trust . . . . Go ? Thanks guys. Btw I have a newer one. Bought 2017
Firstly, the old 4500 and new 5000 both transmit the same sort of signals. And this is also somewhat same/similar(depending on timing) to the gp series. They are all pulse induction.
The new 4500's don't have a 5000 board in them, they are still a 4500 board. Perhaps some components are better quality and the firmware updated compared to the old 4500's. There are some differences between the 4500 and 5000 boards.
One thing I have noted different is some of the earlier 4500's had a slightly lower operating frequency compared to the later ones and the 5000's. This could be why some may have been deeper, though the difference in frequency wasn't enough to make that much difference.

Cheers Mick

I'm not a very experienced detectorist. Took me a while to get the right settings for my (new model) 4500 with a 12" Evo. Probably well over a year as I don't go out that often.

I'll say this though. I've dug what I consider to be pretty deep holes, 45cm and more.
I've also found a fair bit of uhmmm..you know. Interesting stuff.

Codan aquired Minelab in 2008.
Detectors were digitized to facilitate all the extra switching required for increased number of functions.
It's still pulse induction.

1588902032_zzz.jpg

Read a review by somebody who had done a comparison, old and new (same settings) and his outcome was the older unit punched slightly deeper and the new unit was quieter. But different soil/emi/users could bring a different outcome.

I don't have the review, I read it as an ex owner of a 45 sold it when I got a GPZ, whereas SWMBO kept hers when she purchased her 2300.

I have an 4500, bought the day they were released. I would never sell it and its a backup for my seven. New 4500,s i have seen in action seem as good as the early ones, despite unproven posts on facebook etc from time to time saying older ones are better.
From the 4500 on all the minelab gold detectors are excellent and regardless of the model it is the most experienced operators who do lots of research, explore and have the coil to ground the most who will always do best
RDD

Latest posts