3D printing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
3D printing looks to be the way of the future and I thought I would start this up and see who can come up with ideas relating to prospecting or anything else.

Here is a photo of my printer at work.

1407659573_image.jpg

Hi John,
interesting technology ... think someone from Vic was playing around trying to make up a small portable sluice from interlocking pieces churned out on a 3D printer.
Just trying to figure out what yours is making ...... obviously not a ML 5000 ?
Cheers Tom

ps .. looks to be a big mother?

Bloody amazing John. good on you for having the balls to have a go.
Would love one but have too much on the go atm.
will watch this thread with interest to see what you achieve.

That is so cool. Can you print the plastic screws and washers that hold the gpx coils on?

nuggetino said:
That is so cool. Can you print the plastic screws and washers that hold the gpx coils on?

Should be able to if someone drew it up :D .
Dont know what it looks like. Is it just a nut and bolt?

All 3D printing requires a 3D CAD model file to work. I guess the best analogy is, if you want to print a letter you need to type it out first in something like Microsoft Word, then send it to the printer.

Prior to my retirement I was a CAD/CAM Manager and Design Drafter (originally a toolmaker, way back in the dawn of time lol)

The fastener fittings for detectors are easy to model (draw), it's then just a matter of saving the file in the correct format of the available 3D printer and using the right material to print.

Interesting there John

Just out of interest how much does it cost for the material to print up something like the hand?

Nice Makerbot clone :p
We have a 2X at uni, havent had much of a chance to use it yet, but I've had a few things done with shapeways.

404878_369952723022428_1978426040_n.jpg

156771_514564175227948_1915034216_n.jpg

That ring in the image above is also 3D printed in wax then cast.

I'm still only a beginner on the 3D modelling side of things, thankfully I have a good friend who does it for a living ;)
When SLS printers become affordable I'll buy my own.

bignev said:
Interesting there John

Just out of interest how much does it cost for the material to print up something like the hand?

Probably about $5 or $6 at a guess for the plastic.

Found a link to what V-8 was trying to do with his 3D printer, a small sluice set-up made of interlocking sections (not sure how it turned out) ......

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2099/1395893178_sluice_1.jpg

Think there is also another reference where one of the members was trying (or did) replicate a "blue Bowl" and another a sluice mat along the lines of the "ground hog" mats ..... think the plans for some are available through the site John has mentioned.

Looks like fun ....
Cheers Tom

Sorry if this a dumb question - would it be possible to print a map with 3D contours. For example as follows. Could/would be a useable planning/training tool. Even be good for doing hydrology planning. I have seen a few 3D military maps that are 'printed' in plastic with contours etc etc.

1407756555_a1.png