300 grams from 150kgs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he would have used nitric acid to get rid of most of the unwanted junk and then used and acid forgot the name that dissolves gold and or cyanide solution and then possibly carbon or something else to capture it again or with mercury after removing the nitric acid and the other acid that dissolves the gold.

The chemical you're looking for HTY is "Aqua Regia". If you understand a little latin, it means "Royal Water". It was discovered by the alchemists when they were trying to create gold.

Actually, it is a mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid. It is extremely potent and obviously very dangerous. It is not something you play with as in a school project. Probably not as environmentally dangerous as cyanide and mercury. But the mixture gives off toxic brown fumes when it is reacting with the gold bearing materials. One breath of these fumes and you are a dead man, or very, very sick, with parts of your inside eaten away. When using it, you need to use a proper gas respiratory kit and full safety gear.

I had a look at the youtube title, and as I thought, it is all about recovering gold from electronics. And yes it is amazing just how much gold is in computers, communication gear like mobiles, flat screen TV's, and just about any computer board you find. Some are better than others.

It is actually not all that hard to do. However you must be able to access the required chemicals, that could be a problem. And you must be able to follow procedures to the letter, including all the safety steps. And just how carefully you follow the procedure will decide just how pure the end result is. It is possible to get 99+% pure.

Once you have dissolved all the gold into your AR solution, you then precipitate the gold, which will look like a muddy brown sort of colour, using SMB or Sodium Metabisulphite. By the way, SMB is a sterilizer often used in homebrewing. During this process you also test the solution for the presence of any more gold. This is done with a spot test using Satnnous Chloride.

So my friends, that is what the video would be all about. I would be very wary of blindly following most of the vids on You Tube. You need to study the procedure and the chemistry. But is does work, and you can get some very good results. You can also use the same or similar method for extracting gold from rocks found whilst out prospecting, though only for small samples otherwise it is too expensive.

It is a great hobby, and you can also recover silver, platinum, palladium and a few other things. And yes it is a hobby of mine. But apart from what I have said above, I refuse to describe the full procedure on a public forum. I'm not interested in being the hero who caused someone to be killed or injured.

Cheers all

I'd be dead before I could accumulate 150Kg of computer chip scrap, the dangers of the process in that instance are the least of my worries.