2013 finds Goldpick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
The missus found this 1821-1850 Sporting button made by Hammond Turner & Sons from Birmingham at Jupiter Creek today, she was using her x-terra 305. The front shows ornate detailing and a fox. Unfortunately my finds were limited to the usual bullets, lead and 1800's nails!

1383996318_img_20131109_200214.jpg

1383996415_img_20131109_200125.jpg

Nice old Button, shame it has a hole through it. It once had a brass ring on top and it clipped to your jacket with a brass clip. It would of looked real flash in its day, nice find all the same. :)

This is the first time I have ever used a PI machine, being the Garrett Infinium, recently back from being repaired here in Adelaide. I snuck down to one of the more popular beaches here, thinking it would be cleaned out, and not really knowing the capabilities if this excellent detector.

I ended up running the 8" mono loop, and it ran quiet as a mouse in the wet sand and exposed gutters on low tide, I think this will be the last time I use a VLF at the beach! Can't believe the depth on some of the smallest pieces of wire you could think of detecting, some holes were well over a foot deep on very small targets, the larger targets were pretty much all screamers, but a few were found at depth will only a faint signal on the surface, I'm really stoked!

Check out the finds in the photo, not bad for a first time out I reckon. :)

1387035575_img_20131215_021105.jpg

Nice finds , your ears will love you for giving up that Vlf on the beach. :)

Second night out with the Infinium, beautiful warm moonlit night, which was great for visibility, didn't even need a torch. Unfortunately, looks like I'd picked up most of the good targets last time around, so will look for a more productive area next trip. Feel like I'm cleaning up the beach for the council - the only interesting little find was a weeny gold plated copper charm off a bracelet, it was literally falling apart in my hand, also unusual to find a bullet shell (ADI 66 F3?) on a main metropolitan beach!

1387296855_img_20131218_024536.jpg

hiya gp nice haul mate
very odd to see a bullet casing on the beach
im yet to test the at pro on the sand dunno what to expect lol
prolly gonna need a hearing check after the first round :)

Why why why, lol! I go mainly at night due to the following:

-no people to bother me or to trip over
-during hot weather, beachgoers leave stuff behind during the day, pick up the leftovers at night
-too hot during the day, perfect at night with a slight breeze, less wave action.
-low tide just happens to fall at round 11.00pm at the moment
-full or near full moon offering excellent visibility
-no screen on the Infinium to worry about at night, just three knobs
-and it's too late for the other half to go! ;)

...and it's exciting!!! ;)

dryhorrors said:
hiya gp nice haul mate
very odd to see a bullet casing on the beach
im yet to test the at pro on the sand dunno what to expect lol
prolly gonna need a hearing check after the first round :)

That was all from the same spot, so off somewhere else next! Maybe the mafia did a killing on the beach, and left the body for the sharks?? :lol: I haven't seen the AT Pro in action before, will be interesting to see how it behaves in the wet sand, lot less crap in the gutters aside from bobby pins and bottle caps. :)

That looks a lot like an SLR bullet that was used by the Aussie military into the mid 90s (at least for reservists, the regs swapped to the styre a few years before the reserves did)

Did a bit of a run to a local park that I haven't been to before, wasn't really intending to do much digging, hence wound back the sensitivity on the detector. Was giving the ol Garrett Scorpion a run in discrimination mode, but was worried I was missing out on a few targets (namely gold jewellery targets), so I rolled the discrimination back to see what junk I could find, and found plenty - lol! Only found a few decimal coins, but have found they give off quite a different tone to all the other junk, not as sharp, but strong all the same.

Glad I did wind back sensitivity, this thing has got some punch for a VLF based on the old Groundhog circuit. I ran the stock 5x10" eliptical coil, might change over to the small 4.5" concentric coil, or the 3x7" eliptical coil for better target seperation! :) Had fun all the same, still learning the ropes on this particular detector. The night ended when I got soaked by the automatic sprinklers - had to bolt for the car.

Holy junk! :lol:

1387814248_img_20131224_022744.jpg

Don't see too many of these around anymore!

1387814332_img_20131224_022849.jpg

WoW fantastic finds, I have just has my first hunt with a pointer and was excited to find three pieces of wire. Hopefully I will be as lucky as you next time out.....Cheers Debra
Goldpick said:
Second night out with the Infinium, beautiful warm moonlit night, which was great for visibility, didn't even need a torch. Unfortunately, looks like I'd picked up most of the good targets last time around, so will look for a more productive area next trip. Feel like I'm cleaning up the beach for the council - the only interesting little find was a weeny gold plated copper charm off a bracelet, it was literally falling apart in my hand, also unusual to find a bullet shell (ADI 66 F3?) on a main metropolitan beach!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1387296855_img_20131218_024536.jpg

Found the best coins from the whole year in one day, 1950 three pence, 1957 Shilling, and 1926 Sixpence, unfortunately I had to give them back as they came out of my slice of the Christmas pudding! :lol:

1388123373_img_20131227_161633.jpg

Bwah hah!!!!! .. nice going Goldpick!!!. Your lucky day!....I didn't see any pudding this year, I was working in the Adelaide Zoo on Chrissy Day, but that sure takes me back to my childhood, striking silver in the bowl.....hmmmm maybe that's where this current obsession started!!

Happy New Year GP

Downside is you have to ensure you don't lose a tooth on one of those coins too! :) Should have used the Pro-Find to weed all of the coins out of the pudding.

Just realised going through the coins from that hunt, that the 5c coin was from 1966, first year for decimal coins. Think it is an Australian minted one, not from England.

1388127616_img_20131227_173121.jpg

Latest posts