2013 finds beach detecting addict

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beach detecting addict

Robert Griffiths
Reaction score
I just went out for a bit of therapy today (MD) at the local soccer field. It was my second choice as Croudace bay was packed out people every where, and I couldn't be bothered with being interrupted. Detected for 2.5 hours and finished up with $14.00 exactly. Also found a heap of pull tabs :( I didn't find any pre decimals at all, (actually I have only ever found 1 pre-decimal on the beach at forster) I must be doing something wrong lol. detector used was garrett at pro, garrett pro pointer, and lesche digging tool. Wish I new how to up load pics but unfortunately I have no idea.
cheers Rob

Beat's my 10 cent's and LOT'S of bottle tops and ring pulls down at the Baseball sports ground today.(Gee they can drink lol)
Went to Caffey dam yesterday morning found plenty of sinkers and a few lures.
More practice required buy slowly getting there, still learning my AT Pro to, and waiting for the Pro Pointer to arrive.
Cheers Gary ;)

G'day Gary should of taken a fishing rod with you mate :) I haven't been to chaffey dam in 15years. I would love to try my at pro up hanging rock way, but I would need to try and get a ticket of leave from the minister of war and finance(WIFE) lol. Mate I dug a lot of junk for my $14.00 at least you had a chance of gold being in gold country.
cheers Rob

gtol29 said:
Beat's my 10 cent's and LOT'S of bottle tops and ring pulls down at the Baseball sports ground today.(Gee they can drink lol)
Went to Caffey dam yesterday morning found plenty of sinkers and a few lures.
More practice required buy slowly getting there, still learning my AT Pro to, and waiting for the Pro Pointer to arrive.
Cheers Gary ;)

Don't be discouraged. There is a LOT of rubbish out there,
As we learn our machines, treasure to junk ratio will change :)
I have not been spending many hours detecting.
Total haul, a couple of pennies, a half penny, several 1 n 2 cents. A 20 Euro coin.
Plus $20 or so in spendables.
Plus over 100 bits of junk. Bottle tops, ring pulls, pieces of can chopped up by mowers....

It takes 50 to 100 hours to be competent with your machine.
Keep at it :)

Rod

It took me months to find my first pre-decimal, but after the first few they seem to be easier to find. It might just be an experience thing.

I've done a lot of beach detecting, probably between 30-40 trips and never found a single pre-decimal on the beach either. I wouldn't let that discourage you as they are either very deep, highly corroded and show up as junk or have already been found. From the pics I've seen of many pre-decimals found on the beach, they're usually corroded from the seawater so it's nothing really to get excited about in my opinion.

Do you know how old the soccer field is? It could have only been built 10 years ago. Key areas to detect on sporting fields is the not the field itself but rather the outskirts and high traffic areas like around the kiosk and change rooms etc.

Believe it or not, $14 for 2.5 hours isn't actually all that bad. I've had worse days.

Hi nugget I don't know how old valentine soccer oval is, could be 30-40 years old. Around the kiosk is all concrete, but I did have a look under the high seats at the sides of the oval and found $4.50 very trashy though. Believe me I found most of the money next to the cricket pitch in the middle of the field,(its a concrete pitch) got to love the cricket players but boy they can drink, lots of pull tabs. I just love getting a reading that's between 70-76 on the at pro its always a gold coin,also found a 20c piece that was bent in half (lawnmower). was a good break from the wife and kids lol. Thanks Nugget
cheers Rob

Nugget said:
It took me months to find my first pre-decimal, but after the first few they seem to be easier to find. It might just be an experience thing.

I've done a lot of beach detecting, probably between 30-40 trips and never found a single pre-decimal on the beach either. I wouldn't let that discourage you as they are either very deep, highly corroded and show up as junk or have already been found. From the pics I've seen of many pre-decimals found on the beach, they're usually corroded from the seawater so it's nothing really to get excited about in my opinion.

Do you know how old the soccer field is? It could have only been built 10 years ago. Key areas to detect on sporting fields is the not the field itself but rather the outskirts and high traffic areas like around the kiosk and change rooms etc.

Believe it or not, $14 for 2.5 hours isn't actually all that bad. I've had worse days.

beach detecting addict said:
Hi nugget I don't know how old valentine soccer oval is, could be 30-40 years old. Around the kiosk is all concrete, but I did have a look under the high seats at the sides of the oval and found $4.50 very trashy though. Believe me I found most of the money next to the cricket pitch in the middle of the field,(its a concrete pitch) got to love the cricket players but boy they can drink, lots of pull tabs. I just love getting a reading that's between 70-76 on the at pro its always a gold coin,also found a 20c piece that was bent in half (lawnmower). was a good break from the wife and kids lol. Thanks Nugget
cheers Rob

It's interesting that you say that, I know a couple of other detectorists that also go straight to the pitch but I've just never had any luck with them. The outskirts on the other hand have rewarded me with quite a few moderns and early to mid 1900's pre-decimals.

I might have to revisit a few old sporting grounds I think :lol:

Hi Rob,
Just keep at it mate you will pick up those small differences in the tones and the finds will increase. A bit like learning a musical instrument by playing the music by ear, first year no one wants to know you then after that you are the life of the party :lol:

Bob.

Thanks for the encouragement Bob, I had another go at a different field and I only found 16 cents was at it four 1.5 hours Still had fun though.
Cheers Rob

NavyBob said:
Hi Rob,
Just keep at it mate you will pick up those small differences in the tones and the finds will increase. A bit like learning a musical instrument by playing the music by ear, first year no one wants to know you then after that you are the life of the party :lol:

Bob.

Hi guys and girls I went for a detect today at one of the local parks near home. Detected for 3 hours for the grand total of $10.35. I also found my very first florin yee ha!!! it was filthy, I know we should not clean coins but I did clean it with bi carb and it came up like new it was a 1947 king George the v1. It must of been in the ground for 40years or more, I also found my first half penny!! Elizabeth the 2nd this coin is in poor condition bloody verdigris. Also found a ton of rubbish and a strawberry short cake pin. The drought has finally broken for pre decimal coins.
cheers Rob

well done Rob sounds like you had a very good day! isnt it really interesting to research about the coins you find, i found a 1943 three pence yesterday in very bad condition but it was my first silver!
keep digging :)
Rod

Thanks Rod and well done on your first silver mate. I also found x3 1cent pieces, and x1 2cent piece these were also in bad condition, I think this park has more pre-decimals to give up as well, I was paying special attention around big old trees all the way out to the trees outer follage. :)
cheers Rob

Rodstar said:
well done Rob sounds like you had a very good day! isnt it really interesting to research about the coins you find, i found a 1943 three pence yesterday in very bad condition but it was my first silver!
keep digging :)
Rod

Well done Rob (BDA), it's always a buzz to find a florin. Now that the drought has broken, the pre decimals will flow thick and fast mate!

Thanks scoopa I hope you are right with your prediction mate. I was excited when I found it it was the first find of the day.
cheers Rob

Scoopa said:
Well done Rob (BDA), it's always a buzz to find a florin. Now that the drought has broken, the pre decimals will flow thick and fast mate!

Fantastic find Rob l am yet to find a florin,shilling or threepence yet, there must be millions more out there just waiting to be find, keep up the good work.

Went for a swing today at another local field before going to work. Was out for 2.5 hours and finished up with $25.41, I dug a lot of rubbish though I found $11.00 near the canteen then I hit the playing field and found a further $14.41. I had a go at popping coins with a screw driver, there is an art to this but it was quicker than cutting a flap in the ground. I still had to use my lesche digging tool occasionally but it was worth the effort. :)
cheers Rob

Yesterday I detected a nice little park on the shore of Lake Macquarie, detected for about 2 hours and found $27.10 in decimal coins. I also popped a 9ct gold ring out of the ground using a screw driver I was very happy with that. My at pro read 59 on the ring and I walked away without checking the target but I thought I had better go check the target as 59 has never appeared on my at pro before. Very glad I did too it was a great bonus, :).

When I got to the park there was another guy there detecting with an at gold, we got chatting and I tried his at gold and I must say that I did not like it at all. I found my at pro international easier to use and to discriminate targets with. I don't dig as much junk with the at pro as I did with the at gold, the other guy tried my at pro and said that he wished he had bought the at pro instead. But he also stated that he had bought the at gold to go looking for gold in the scrub.

So I gave him the best bit of advice I could, and that was to dig every target and check the target before moving on.
p.s it always pays to check as I found out with the gold ring.

cheers Rob

Latest posts