2 days in creswick and scarsdale

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1383435590_20131102_130802_resized.jpg

just came back from 2 days in ballarat, only my third time detecting, got to use my new NF mono coil, was so quite compared to my other coil which i suspect might be faulty. i started around scarsdale, did some research but which took me to a pine tree plantation. Whats the go with those? is it still a good place to detect? What about where they have logged the pines?

Gave that a miss and found some bush covered with blackberries. tried out the new gaitors, worked great. the area i was detecting was very junky. spent the day around the area with no luck . dug a hole to china only to find a piece of rubbish, haha. the new NF coil is great, its so quite and i can rub it along the ground with little noise. my old commander coil i got second hand with the detector was so bloody noisy.

The new coil was finding 22 bullets and shells that were quite deep, i was sure one was GOLD. haha. I spent a bit in creswick and found it to be a nice area, not as thick scrub or junky as scarsdale.
So no gold again but had fun and learnt some more, i guess it takes time to learn, i think i might be addicted haha, love getting out there and cant wait to find my first piece, might have to join a club. Thanks everyone for all the info and help.

1383435612_20131102_130827_resized.jpg

That first piece of gold won't be far away mate, and by the looks of things your learning curve is getting very much shorter. The first bit is always the hardest, and the bonus is it's always the most rewarding. Keep at it and look forward to seeing a nice shiny nugget in the jar shortly.

Cheers Wal,

Kirkn - very nice pics. if you are finding the lead the gold will sound the same so you are most definitely on track. you may notice that with the mono NF some ferrous rubbish does have a distinct sound like a break in the threashold during the sweep. Of course there is no iron reject on the mono so if you are in a gold bearing area with a lot of trash, try a DD (run reject) to clear or mark the trash. You will get used to kicking surface rubbish out of the way eventually but as a starter, its good to dig everything because in the end your ears will tune into what is rubbish and what is not. that is something only experience can teach.

Creswick is a good place for trash if that's what your after lol but hard place for gold it's there just doesn't want to be found!
I've found three small pieces around White Swan Reservoir area but that's all as of yet.

Awesome work! i havent got that far yet, used a friends old "shed sh*tebox " duel power GC-1010 detector.. worth about $100 i believe LOL , i found a 6 inch iron rod, a million yearold Rusty bent nail and 3 small rocks with iron in them? Lol rocks only gave a signal swinging one way, not the other. The nail and rod were about 15cm down under the soil. Keep up the good work and post more pics :D

Jace.

Latest posts