SPP finds another 1 grammer this morning.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to Dollys creek up off Angees Road this morning.

Tried out the new razorback 10 X 6.

Literally turned it on and walked about 20 mtrs and got a nice signal, The target was at about 5 cm deep with lots of well rounded quartz pebbles.

Other targets included a few pieces of lead, lots of bits of rusted iron.

My mate John got a great sounding target on his 3500 with large DD coil and began to dig and dig and dig the target was apparently still in the hole when e gave up on it. I think he may go back with some better digging gear.

1408869088_rsz_img_20140824_115608654_hdr.jpg

Well done mate, It's always great to see gold being found with the SPP, really gets me excited. What are your thoughts on the Razorback?

Nugget said:
Well done mate, It's always great to see gold being found with the SPP, really gets me excited. What are your thoughts on the Razorback?

The little razorback is better than expected, I think I like it better than the NF sadie, Very quiet. I am pretty rough with my coils and tend to scrub them, this little coil gives off very few false signals so I am happy with it. The cable shielding seems a little "thin" though, It didnt come with a coil nut & bolt set either.

Shipping from miner John in the US was very fast and really well packed.

Thanks mate, have you noticed much depth different between the two coils?

Nugget said:

Air tests between the two will pick up a 1.1 gm gold nugget (Gain cranked up)
NF Sadie 21 cm
Razorback 19 cm

The little 10 X 6 considerably cheaper than the NF

Build quality of the coil is great, very light too.

My only gripe is that the cable seems much lighter than the NF Sadie coil, Mind you when you bump or tug at the coil lead it doesnt give off any false signals.

Seems like a great coil for the smaller stuff/ very sensitive but not prone to false signals when you scuff the base plate.

I think that they should ship with a plastic bolt and nut and an end cap for the coil cable to stop any dirt from entering.

Thanks for that, i like to scrub the coil also and a falsing coil due to this would be very annoying. I agree a new nut and bolt would be handy with the new coil and it just adds that touch of professionalism when buying a product. I suppose they have to keep their cost down some how. :)

old hand said:
Great H good to see more gold turning up with the SPP be interested in trying the coil out regards john

No problems John, I will be at Waanyarra camp so you can test drive it for a few hours if you like.

Homebrewer said:
Nugget said:

Air tests between the two will pick up a 1.1 gm gold nugget (Gain cranked up)
NF Sadie 21 cm
Razorback 19 cm

The little 10 X 6 considerably cheaper than the NF

Thanks for sharing the results mate.. At this stage I'm quite happy with the NF Sadie and unlike yourself I can't say I've had any issues with falsing, I am however looking for a larger coil for more open areas, just considering brands at the moment.

Hi Nugget, The Sadie Coil is an awesome coil. I thought id buy the 10 X 6 razorback as I heard the whites longreach versions had been developed for our soils here in Oz. Plus I got it at a good price with free delivery. I am toying with the idea of getting its big brother in the future..

This hobby is starting to get expensive.

Will hopefully be able to post some more results after my next outing.

I'm running exact same gear as you HB, only tried it a couple of times so far and having trouble getting it to run smooth gold hunting in hot ground,
Good to see your had some success, what are you running your gain control at when hunting small gold like in your photo.

Iv found using the razorback coils they run very quiet' so you can use more gain, that would make up for a depth loss.
The SPP can seem a little confusing with ground noise and with the razorback coils you can increase the ground balance a little to tune out ground noise and hot rocks but still remain in the GB window' you can't do that with most minelab coils as the GB setting has too smaller window.
The Sadie has always been a top performer and iv also seen good results from the 6" coiltek.

Do you guys need to adjust the frequency setting before doing a ground balance ?
maybe it's EMI or the high mineralized ground I've been at but it's very hard to get it to run smooth with gain at half way or higher.

Adjusting the frequency control can reduce alot of problems but the machine generally runs quiet if you keep the coil still, EMI will keep flooding through without doing anything' what coil are you using?

Latest posts