A weekend trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im heading to Brewarrina this weekend ( NSW outback boondocks,or further ... Never been that far out before), for a neice's 18th birthday. Driving out there on friday and home on monday. Im the designated driver as i dont drink, so while the others are nursing sore heads, i will be out and about waving my wand. If anyone has any clues on the area ,i would like to hear from you.

No clue Sandta, but let me tell you, there's nothing like bringing silver home from somewhere else(stir up the locals about it once you've cleaned the place out completely). Just looking at the names of the streets I'd look at church street and Bathurst street (Bogan street is probably in a new area and may be where you are headed as the designated driver). Hope this helps you get underway Sandta.

I've played golf in the in the Bre open a couple of times. Great people and at the open they always look after ya. but have never detected there. But I would be temped to look by the river where they may have had town fairs and picnics. Maybe ask a local or 2 where community activities where held in yesteryear.

I would leave the Footy ground alone. bottle caps and pull tab will drive you mad.

Hope you have a good time and I look forward to reading about your trip.

Cliff

Footy ground will be ok if you use scan method to identify good sounding targets and only use the right hand 4 bars with the rest discriminated out and only dig the good repeatable targets, that's the way to go if you are time limited or will only be on site once or twice in the next couple of years(or never again in some cases).

Safe Trip Sandta

Have to catch up on the beaches round Newy

Silver

As new custodian of Darwoody(Darrens) ACE 250 am reading your previous posts with great interest
about settings on the 250 and hopefully will be putting them into practice

Cheers Mark

Gday silver , thanks and yes i have read this before ( just read it again) i had actually thought this was a GP post, so sorry for not giving you the credit sooner. To be honest this post is the one that sticks in my mind the most (if it goes off like the pokies .. dig it!)the whole post is very informative especially once i figured out what it all meant when i got out in the field. As i have mentioned in other posts ... For me.. Remembering all i have read doesnt sink in .. I need to experience it a few times( or more) then maybe the penny drops and i have an 'ah -ha' moment. :rolleyes:
Again what your saying makes total sense .. Only there for a short time .. May never return ... Run the 4 hi tones .. Get the best while you can . Sounds simple enough ...
Stay tuned....

I hope you do great with it Mark, feel free to ask any questions, there are a few of us on here that know the ACE250 pretty intimately and can give you the right advice to get the best out of it and yourself when it comes to the hunt.
Mr T said:
Safe Trip Sandta

Have to catch up on the beaches round Newy

Silver

As new custodian of Darwoody(Darrens) ACE 250 am reading your previous posts with great interest
about settings on the 250 and hopefully will be putting them into practice

Cheers Mark

There used to be a branch line that went from the main western line at Byrock to Bree which ran from 1901 until 1974. There were 7 stations along the line, maybe they could be worth a look at with the detector. Have a talk to some of the locals they will tell you where to find it.
The last time I went along there in 1984 the stations were intact. I don't know what they would be like now.
I think the station master at one of the stations was a drunk because there was a pile of empty longnecks about 12 ft high and 20 ft diameter next to the station.

If you go anywhere near Byrock make sure you drop into the Mulga Creek pub.

Enjoy the trip, nice country out that way.

More info http://www.nswrail.net/lines/show.php?name=NSW:brewarrina

Sandta, I consolidated all my info posts here with links.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7497
Sandta said:
Gday silver , thanks and yes i have read this before ( just read it again) i had actually thought this was a GP post, so sorry for not giving you the credit sooner. To be honest this post is the one that sticks in my mind the most (if it goes off like the pokies .. dig it!)the whole post is very informative especially once i figured out what it all meant when i got out in the field. As i have mentioned in other posts ... For me.. Remembering all i have read doesnt sink in .. I need to experience it a few times( or more) then maybe the penny drops and i have an 'ah -ha' moment. :rolleyes:
Again what your saying makes total sense .. Only there for a short time .. May never return ... Run the 4 hi tones .. Get the best while you can . Sounds simple enough ...
Stay tuned....

Gday guys , well im back in one piece , bloody hell its a long drive.... Had a good weekend... Had a couple of disapointmenting leads . Ill explain tonight when i get home from work ... The old Chinese market garden... The Brewarrina Holey Dollar i found ;) ... My heart was thumping so hard , i had to sit down for a while. I will post pics tonight . Had no optus signal out there.

Are we there yet?? Brewarrina is about a 10 hour drive. We stopped a few times for a break and shared the driving but it is still very draining on the body . We left around 5am and arrived just after 3pm .(and NO Silver, we didnt go to that side of town :eek: )After a few quick hello's i had my nephew give me a guided tour around town ... 7 mins later.... i was off... Spent about 2 hours at the show ground till dark
Found sweet F A !.... The ground is like concrete. There are plenty of bottle caps and tabs off cans everywhere
That night( friday night) we had a bbq , i met more uncles , aunties , nephews , nieces ,brothers , sisters , cousins , dogs and cats than i could ever hope to remember . I then became known as either uncle or brotherinlaw . It was pretty confusing but felt very welcome . Very strong family community .
I got 2 really promising sounding leads .... 1) An old Chinese camp/ market site( on the property we were having the party at -80 acres along the Barwon river) and 2) the original mission.
There is a museum in town run by an 'uncle' that apparently is very informative in regard to the history of the area . I was hoping to learn and get info but unfortunately was closed when i went on saturday morning
There was a massive electrical storm friday night and plenty of heavy rain which turned the RED dirt roads/tracks into impossibly slippery bog holes.
Saturday morning( after the museum attempt ) was spent setting up for the party till after lunch. I then spent a couple of hours trying to follow the directions i was given and figure out where the Chinese camp was. It sounded straight forward ... But i couldnt find where they were talking about .
I went back out to the showground where i was told they had a pretty large fete a couple of weeks back.
When i got there , i first walked all around and put some thought into where would be the most likely places to search....
I cancelled out all but the last 4 bars,and I was off....
My first find was a sixpence :D ...
1406637614_image.jpg

4x$1,4x$2,4x2c,9x1c , 2xhalf pennies ,the sixpence(1951) and this impressive looking junk jewellery locket and chain
1406639436_image.jpg

( it didnt register on the detector ... I saw it shining in the grass as i walked over it, it actually still had a price tag on it ,$45)
I left when it got dark and went to join the party, had a great feed and enjoyed the whole atmosphere till around 11pm then went back to the house while the rest of half the town partied till dawn.
Sunday morning i went looking for that Chinese camp again... Someone even said 'you might even find a holey dollar out there' ... I went and saw the property owner to clarify directions but still couldnt find it, so after a couple of hours i went back to the showground again for a few hours .... Thats when i found it ... The ' Brewarrina Holey Dollar' that almost made my heart jump out of my chest... :)
1406639922_image.jpg

4x$2,9x$1,8x2c,16x1c,1x half penny, 1xcopper ring, a club membership badge ... And the Holy Grail
1406640621_image.jpg

A bloody brass eyelet out of a tarp... Had me going for a while though
1406640974_image.jpg

I couldnt leave without looking around the old mission site, so spent the last couple of hours of daylight looking around. Was a huge area, wasnt sure how or where to start...
So i went straight to the barely visible remains of a huge house, and scoured all around the edges starting with the entrance pathway
1406641660_image.jpg

1949 half penny , an engraved folded in half heart shaped pendent and what looks like a rock that screamed in the top end of the scale. Maybe its a meteorite? Not magnetic though :(

Good onya Sandta, being able to choose what to disc out in trashy areas is good hey !

Latest posts