Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That wave will not cause any concern, as this is normal on the first ramp of expanded, and if you have no matting under the expanded, then 3/4 full will still trap 99% of the gold before the crate. 250 slick plate is on the "shorter" side of the equation, and that's why you have the 3/4 rather than about 1/2 full as would be the more preferable.

Crate being half full is OK, but if it gets beyond this up your water flow or increase your sluice angle. Correct water flow to slope angle takes a bit of time to get right, but once you've tuned it in it will be very easily repeated.

Cheers Wal.

Let me know of the results Troy, and do a clean out of the sluice separately to the mat. You should have nearly all the gold in the sluice, and only some very fine gold, in the first section of the mat. If this is the case then you have it tuned correctly.

Cheers Wal.

Look forward to how you go sled, but i would recommend the wx15 over the wx10 as the 10 is right at the bottom end of what you need for it to function optimally. If you follow some of the later threads you will see what my main Banker looks like these days, as the one in the vid is quite an old version.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, and if you need any specific advice just send me a PM.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Digginholes said:
Hey wal, i know the cat walk mesh section will clog if v mat is used under it as in needs the gap underneath for the gold to slide under, do you think it would still clogg up if the mesh was spaced off the v mat by 5 mm or so?
Cheers Greg

Ive experimented with countless variations over time, and have found by far the most efficient system is to have nothing under the catwalk (or sloped expanded) at all. The "V" mat under the Catwalk would not work efficiently either as it requires a constant flow over the "V"mat for displacement to occur.

Water pressure under the catwalk would be reduced to the point where clogging would definitely occur with finer gravel / black sands, and this would let the gold ride over these sands to the top of the ironstone and work its way down the sluice.

If you wish to run a "V" mat system I would use a different riffle system, avoiding the catwalk altogether.

Cheers Wal.
Thanks wal, I did end up making a section of v mat,sloped and cat walk and run each in a different combo, not that I didn't believe you I just thought I'd be easier to understand the effects if I seen it for myself. Lol
So the results showed you were 100% right, with v the catwalk blocked up with out it was better but still built up a lot and as I increased sluice angle the wave off the first riffle quickly became too big and started blowing out every thing that was caught so I reduced angle again. The sloped expand seemed to work well but I think I need the next size up mesh
Cheers

The size of the sloped expanded needs to compliment the size of the sluice and as such the sluice velocity.

The Bankers I produce are designed to run optimally with a sloped expanded 16mm high, with the gap ratio 100mm wide and 40mm deep. If your sluice is basically the same dimensions as the ones I make, the mesh I've described is what I would recommend. Hope this helps.

sledcanada said:
Had a bit of time to start sourcing parts today at the local big box hardware store. The guy who I questioned about matting looked at me like I had a big horn growing out of my forehead? I had to come home and check the mirror ;)

If you have Costco near by they sell similar door mat.
1411988848_image.jpg

heading out next weekend.
so i will be grabbing some mats before i head off.

trial and error till i get it right.

Wal - Wondering what is the best setup for gold only - no gemstones in the Canadian rivers. Would you leave the length of the highbanker as in what is shown in your photo`s ?? I found some 2mm aluminum in a friends shop that he let me have for a very good price. :)

I'd still leave the High banker 1500 long. I'd make the front "Crate" section 450mm long with Looped Rubber matting under. I'd run 450mm of Aluminum sloped expanded ( 15mm H x 100mm W x 40mm D ). I would run nothing under the expanded and leave this section as a boiler section relying on displacement only. The gold won't get displaced. These measurements will still give you a workable slick plate.

Cheers Wal.

Hey guys,
I've been trying to find all the components to build myself a walbanker. I've got the shell, the bread crate and the rubber mat but have been struggling to find the expanded mesh (sloped and/or straight) and the cable tray. Am wondering if anyone knows where I could buy those in canberra?
Thanks

WalnLiz said:
I'd still leave the High banker 1500 long. I'd make the front "Crate" section 450mm long with Looped Rubber matting under. I'd run 450mm of Aluminum sloped expanded ( 15mm H x 100mm W x 40mm D ). I would run nothing under the expanded and leave this section as a boiler section relying on displacement only. The gold won't get displaced. These measurements will still give you a workable slick plate.

Cheers Wal.

Thank You - Hope to get a start this weekend (work permitting)

for_Golds_sake said:
Hey guys,
I've been trying to find all the components to build myself a walbanker. I've got the shell, the bread crate and the rubber mat but have been struggling to find the expanded mesh (sloped and/or straight) and the cable tray. Am wondering if anyone knows where I could buy those in canberra?
Thanks
Any Haymans Electrical outlet

Some drawings from Wal's photos
Hope they help,
Regards
Richard

Thanks for these Richard. also - major kudos to wal & liz. videos great inspiration while locked in at camp.

Thanks golddigg and Jarod.
Just managed to pick up the cable tray.
If anyone else needs some, they come in 2.4m length and a 300mm wide piece is about $30 from middys. Will also have some left over, so happy to share if anyone needs some.
Now I just need o find the alu mesh - does anyone know where I could buy some?

Hi guys,
I have been through every page of this DIY and am now motivated to start my own uild. For those that are having issues sourcing i had luck with the following,
Cable Tray - CNW Electrical and also JR Turk.
Miners Mat (backed) - Purchased the same as Wals from bunning and then found the exact same mat in the reject shop for $4
Expanded metal - Locker Group or local scrap metal yard.
Bread Crate - If you in SW sydney let me know i have 4 or 5 of them free to a good home.

Hope this helps some people on where to look.I will hopefully be starting my build this weekend

Latest posts