'1939-45 Star' medal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Fox

Paul
Reaction score
Went out today for a quick swiff and stumbled across a '1939-45 Star' medal!
The name and VN of serving soldier is on the back, might try and track the owner down.

1397037314_1929-45_star_medal.jpg

If you want to read about it, go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939–45_Star

Tickled pink, it's my first medal, pitty it wasn't silver :p

SF

Nice find Silver_Fox.

Would be good to track down the recipient of the medal. ;)

Keep us all informed on how you go.

Should make for some good reading. :)

I already searched the guy on this website, thanks :)
I just need to work how to find find the guy or his family. Ancestry.com wants my money search his family tree so I will need to find another way to track them down....
Any ideas?

Tathradj said:
http://www.awm.gov.au/people/roll-search/all/
Australian War Memorial Web Site.

Do a search with the service number.
Well Done. :)

Ok.
Should be able to find the records stating what town they come from.
White pages can be your friend. :)

I do not think this will cause any problems. :) :)

Look up
Have a look around and you will find the records of when he departed.
Shown on that record is his town of residence.
My Grand Father. :) :)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I entered 6483 (also with NX) into the service number field but it wouldn't let me search without a name...

Tathradj said:
I do not think this will cause any problems. :) :)

Look up
Have a look around and you will find the records of when he departed.
Shown on that record is his town of residence.
My Grand Father. :) :)

Try the people search
He is also on the honors list as well
Scored the Military Medal

N = New South Wales X = Volunteer, ie AIF. Each state had the state initial before the service number (V, S, W etc) then if a volunteer, an X.

Just a quick update for those interested :)

I got an email from the War Memorial a while back letting me know that the the owner of the Service Medal died back in 1999. The lady said she will try and track down any family members that would be interested in having the medal back.
Today I got a call from the War Memorial. The lady I spoke to was very excited. She told me the daughter contacted her today and was over the moon that the medal had been found, her brother was blamed for the loss of it a long time ago.

Apparently her father was the President of the RSL club in Canberra at one stage and was well known. The daughter lives interstate now but will be in Canberra next month, she would like to meet up with me. The War Memorial has asked if they could get the press involved with camera crews and all, unfortunately I turned them down, bit too shy for that! They gave me a second option which was for a story to be written with pictures that would be put on their blog site and it will be opened to the press. I did agreed to that.
The lady said they have just put in a grant to get the War Memorial database expanded, she said this is just the story to help get it approved!

Well there you go!

SF

Now that is a great story SF.
Excellent outcome.

Please let us know when the writeup is able to be viewed.

Silver_Fox said:

I got an email from the War Memorial a while back letting me know that the the owner of the Service Medal died back in 1999. The lady said she will try and track down any family members that would be interested in having the medal back.
Today I got a call from the War Memorial. The lady I spoke to was very excited. She told me the daughter contacted her today and was over the moon that the medal had been found, her brother was blamed for the loss of it a long time ago.

Apparently her father was the President of the RSL club in Canberra at one stage and was well known. The daughter lives interstate now but will be in Canberra next month, she would like to meet up with me. The War Memorial has asked if they could get the press involved with camera crews and all, unfortunately I turned them down, bit too shy for that! They gave me a second option which was for a story to be written with pictures that would be put on their blog site and it will be opened to the press. I did agreed to that.
The lady said they have just put in a grant to get the War Memorial database expanded, she said this is just the story to help get it approved!

Well there you go!

SF

Thanks and will do :)

backcreek said:
Now that is a great story SF.
Excellent outcome.

Please let us know when the writeup is able to be viewed.

Silver_Fox said:

Well there you go!

SF