Hello From the snowy Mountains.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jindy Gold

Peter Olijnyk
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls. Ive been digging dirt highbanking and river sluicing around my area and further out and just wanted to drop in and say hi. I live just out of jindabyne and wanted to share some info. We are a bit forgotten down here by the prospectors and clubs and forums etc. I dont get out to much to get to some of the fun days the different groups have as they always seem to be far away in old gold fields northern or mid nsw. I talk to alot of people who ask me is there any gold down this way worth finding. Remember that the old time miners around this way considered the gold fields from where perisher is now all the way to dalgety and bombala. there is over 400 square km of old gold fields down this way. Most of it is very hard to find info on so i have relied on talking the the farmers around the place. Im lucky enough to know some that have been here for 5 and 6 generations. Besides all the gold there is plenty of gemstones around as well. Im more than happy to give away my spots and help others find gold down here. I always find it super hard to find gold when searching a new town as most people wont say anything. my biggest nuggets down here have been in the 8 to 10 gram range with many being 4 or 5 and stacks smaller. I am trying to let people know as all i hear is there is no nuggety stuff down this way just dust and flour. it puts alot of people off. if anyone is coming down for a play or fish in lake jindy or eucumbene feel free to contact me and id be more than happy to show off the snowies. oh and for the record in case you guys are watching vids or hearing stories... Highland gold,,, Alpine gold,,, snowy gold or any reference like that should mean NSW Even though the alpine national park is northern vic. we dont consider vic snowfields to be anywhere other than hotham lol... just trying to clarify as its miss leading for those who are trying to read between the lines and find your secret spots.. corryong, omeo and the northern rivers that flow into that area like swift creek(nice clue there lol) are not considered Alpine by us locals here. Alpine Is for NSW only. Seriously just a bit of tongue in cheek there. Fact is there is a many great places down here to consider and for the victorians the northern towns are not only full of gold but full of australian history... Man from snowy river and corryong go hand in hand. Tom Groggin was where Banjo Patterson met and wrote about the man. Not only full of history but great views and great people. would love to catch up anytime you may visit this way. Dont forget about us southern nsw gold guys, we are few between but passionate and keen to introduce our places.
Good luck, happy hunting and chase us down if you want any info. Cheers Peter

Welcome aboard Peter,

I'm sure there's more that an few of the Canberra connection that would very interested in catching up for a coffee mate. We never head that way figure most of it's national park and to hard.That might have to change. Enjoy the forum :D

Cheers

Col

Hello, Thanks for the reply. Yeah most of it is national park, but it has gaps and plenty of creeks that flow around too. im always looking for new places but also get frustrated with the amount of road closures here. Alot of my old spots i used to go through the national park to get to the other side but they have started closing the roads due to maintenance costs. i have some nice spots around dalgety to jindabyne but its hard going. I am also trying to contact Wal as i have made some cad drawings of his highbanker and want to ask him firstly for permission and to ask him a few questions about it. Ive done then plans for him as ive heard a few people around the traps ask for cad drawings of his design. I dont want to do anything with the designs, just give them to him in case he may want them to send on to other people. I also come to canberra every 2nd weekend or so to work. Im a cabinetmaker down here and do alot of work in canberra too, and would be keen to catch up with the "connection" . I have absolutely no experience gem hunting or finding gold( other than my home town and area) and would love to catch up and get to know you guys and girls. Im not sure how to meet other guys as down here it is a really secret society and im pretty social and would just love to catch up and come to a few days. Im new to this forum, Been on the other forum mainly. Love to come up and show of a few jindy gold nuggets.
Have fun and if you can get in touch with wal somehow that would be great. i cant pm him yet.
Have fun and cheers. Hope i didnt violate any forum rules here with what i said. I never get the hang of these things.
thanks Peter

Welcome JG :) Wal is still out hunting gems and won't be back till next week. Sounds like a nice place down in the Alpines and may be an idea to come and visit one day. Cheers mate :)

Thanks guys, Yes it is lovely down here, bit nasty during winter sometimes though. not much gold prospecting during winter, the water is too cold.. I work as a snow maker during winter so sleep most of the day anyway. its beautiful now though and spent yesterday digging around talbingo and a secret spot near eucumbene that borders the national park. only got about 1 gram but it was from only 2 buckets, Just doing some test holes to see if its worth going back. for the record im not looking to buy a walbanker, as im making one, but have used his drawings and pics and converted them into cad drawings for laser cutting etc, so thats why i want to get his permission and give him the drawings so he can distribute as he sees fit,. maybe swap them for some info lol.. thanks guys and have fun.

Hi Jindy Gold,
Welcome to the Forum mate, would love to catch up down your way soon.
You only need 10 posts to be able to PM
The weather should be getting to your liking about now.
Sounds beautiful down that way where you are prospecting. I am in Canberra so not that far away.
Good on ya mate
Cheers
Rockerfella :)

Hi Jindy,

I am working the Southern NSW goldfields as well. Highbanker and metal detecting.

Mainly, Yambulla but also into the Delegate River area from time to time.

Been thinking about the Dry River near Bega as well up near the Dam. (There was a Jindy Gold that posted about that on another forum)

Happy to trade notes. Lots of exploring and using the Trove database to lock onto locations.

I have found a few others that I have not explored yet.

G'day Peter, welcome aboard, my best mate and pretty much his whole family live in Jindy, I try and get down there during Summer when both of us have time to catch up, have never prospected down there, though am very keen to. I love the place in Summer, not into snow. My mate and his missus both used to be snowboard instructors, you may know them.

He is really not that interested in prospecting so would be great to meet up with someone who is next time I'm in town. Might try and get there before Christmas. Was down there in April for 4 days with my detector and never fired it up, had too much drinkiing to do. :)

Welcome to the forum Peter, and thanks for the informative intro. Hope you find the forum a friendly and useful addition to your research and look forward to catching up on the streams, as the areas you frequent are in the middle of my stomping grounds.

Just got back from a 2 month gold and gem hunting trip to WA and need to get up to Euc or Jindy to wash away all that dust, and catch a few trout. :D

Best of luck out there on the streams mate, and look forward to sharing experiences.

Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks guys, The Jindy gold on the "other forum" is me as well. heading up to crookwell this week some time to have a look around and see what i can find. Might be also heading up to we jasper to check out another spot i took my boys to the other week and found some yellow. Just had a little dig so im keen to get back and go a bit harder.
Thanks Wal and i will pm you when i can. I want to talk to you about some plans for highbanker i did on my cad.
good luck all

G'day Pete,

Be great to catch up, so when you reach 10 posts just send me a PM. Need to know if the trout are biting in the mountains as i haven't seen "Decent" fresh water for the last couple of months in WA.

Cheers Wal.

Great posts Jindy Gold. We lived down that way and did a big amount of 4WD all around those areas when kids were young and found old Chinese diggings but now aren't quite sure where. I can still picture the place where we camped. There was a flying fox and old stamper and of course heaps of blackberries. Must look at some old photos to refresh the memory. It could even be closed off or National Park as a lot of it now is. Would love to catch up if we're down that way.

Sorry to divert from welcoming Jindy, but was blackberry planted as a source of food for prospectors?

Hi Jindy, only just noticed your post :)

I will be heading up to the snowies for christmas, staying at a caravan park in Dalgety. I will be taking metal detectors (it should arrive in a couple days which will give me some time to practice with it prior to our trip :) but I am also thinking about doing some panning. I have never panned before but have watched some youtube videos lol. I will likely try to practice the technique prior to our trip, perhaps at gininderra creek which is a short walk form my place :)

Any tips on locations in the area around dalgetty and jindabyne would be greatly appreciated. We are taking our dog but the owners of the caravan park are very nice and may be willing to look after him for a few hours if we want to head into national parks.

Also Would be need a NSW fossicking license and if so, do i need to get one for every member of my family or is there a family license?

cheers!

Sarn, I think you'll require individual fossicking permits but your best bet would be to contact the Snowy Region Forestry Office on (02) 6947 3911, they could tell you straight up.

Latest posts