Coil Selection For GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,looking at a new coil.I,m tossing up between a 14" coiltech elite and an evo 12. I!m a GT prospector with maybe a trip out to WA later on this year.I have a 8x6 Sadie and the two coils (DD and the mono)as supplied with my 4500. I,m leaning towards the evo but thinking Minelab gold does very well with the elite.
Keen to read other operators thoughts.
Cheers Crushed

Thanks for the feed back,evo is the go !Apart from the weight why are you all so keen on the evo.Someone did some testing (I can't remember who) and he had the evo 12" and the 14" elite neck and neck . I have noticed Westoz is using an eleven inch coiltech coil in some of his vids(love that young mans attitude to the trials and tribulations,his glass is definitely half full) There seems to be a shift towards smaller and lighter coils ?
Cheers Crushed

So my understanding is that the evo are spiral wound the same as the ultra Detech, there appears to be a slight weight difference between the two same sized coils (Detech slightly heavier) so what is there that the evo has that the detech does not have in terms of performance?

All the gold we have found (just under an ounce) in the past has been with an 8 inch minelab (Wife uses this) and an 11 inch minelab, so we have just ordered two 11 inch ultra Detech for our next trip and plan on doing the areas again, hopefully with bit better settings and lower and slower. We also have a number of other sized coils that will be also used once we are happy with the settings that we will try. We are happy with our purchase after a lot of research with all the brands, but just wondering why all the votes for the evo as they appear to me to be very similar in construction.

2lateagain said:
So my understanding is that the evo are spiral wound the same as the ultra Detech, there appears to be a slight weight difference between the two same sized coils (Detech slightly heavier) so what is there that the evo has that the detech does not have in terms of performance?

All the gold we have found (just under an ounce) in the past has been with an 8 inch minelab (Wife uses this) and an 11 inch minelab, so we have just ordered two 11 inch ultra Detech for our next trip and plan on doing the areas again, hopefully with bit better settings and lower and slower. We also have a number of other sized coils that will be also used once we are happy with the settings that we will try. We are happy with our purchase after a lot of research with all the brands, but just wondering why all the votes for the evo as they appear to me to be very similar in construction.

Coils aint coils, theres a lot more goes into the construction than we get told.
If you watch AGPs review of the 12x8 Evo, he shows how strong they are.
Also there is trade secrets, what shielding is used and how its installed to prevent eddy currants, how many strands of braided or unbraided to make the right resistance and capacitance.
Then at the user end they have to perform, run smooth and stable, punch deep and pick up small bits.
Matt T

I agree that there is a lot more goes into the construction than what we are told, same as there appears to be numerous variations of litz wire for all sorts of reasons and operating frequencies used in numerous applications.

I would think that someone making a coil would use the best available information for that application and if a number of coil makers made a similar sized coil it would be tested very thoroughly to try and outdo the opposition, but the opposition would also be trying to get their hands on one of the other makers coils to find out what the difference is and overcome any deficiencies in their own product if there were any as we are not talking about small backyard operations, there is a lot of money at stake here for the achiever of the better product. I am not saying that one brand is better than the other, just all seem to be evo, but in our searching for information have not seen a test between the 15" evo and the 15" detech, not saying there is not one, just that we have not found it yet.

As I have said we purchased 2 of the 11" detech as my wife likes to be out there also. One of the reasons that we picked the 11" coils as that we are both over 70 years and things that were easily manageable 10 years ago now seem to weigh a lot more, also buying two the price had a lot to do with our choice. I have a 14" coiltect DD and find that I can only manage it now for about 1 hour and feel like I am being dragged into the ground headfirst. :D

For me the Evo coil's are a winner because of the weight, tapered shape on the enclosure making it easier to skim over the leaf litter and uneven ground, the pressure regulating valve is a big winner for me too, when out detecting my other coils are in a Double D padded bag in the back of my 4x4 so more peace of mind on hot days, plus Rohan is a top bloke to deal with, when I had an issue with my 14x9 I spent about an hour at his place picking his brains after he replaced my coil no questions asked, can't ask for more than that in my opinion.

Latest posts