Abercrombie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty22

Rusty
Reaction score
I'm heading to the Abercrombie junction for a few days over Xmas. Have been doing some research around the are and seems to look good but what im after is if anyone can throw a bit more info my way about the area would be great.

I've heard that a few people have found bits and pieces there. I'm guessing you are talking about the junction of Tuena Creek and the Abercrombie...just down from that big awesome bridge? The last time I was there didn't appear to many spots for a good fossick where the campground is. But I only had a look at the campground, I didn't look properly.

I reckon if you go back upstream along Tuena creek you'll have some luck.

Another alternative is to go up to Trunkey Creek way. It's not that far from the junction I read there has been a bit found (historically at least) up that way. Unfortunately I did not find a spec there, but that is not unusual for me!!. But at worst you get to check out a new area :)

Theres fine gold there , theres big dumps of gravel at the camp ground but they are almost barren , the gold i got involved crappy digging in tree root infested ground and being clever in the water course seeking out good spots , i was above the junction on the Abercrombie river as the tuena creek was almost covered in impenetrable blackberries, that was a year or two ago.
Can be a very busy camping area at times.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I will be heading up stream there are some good gravel banks and exposed bed rock. And through my research the Abercrombie Is best worked in the dry and the river bed is shallow.
And back in the day the old timers where crevicing up to 3oz a day and if it hasn't been worked you never know what is there, if i do no good well there is trunky creek up and tuina down any how for me it's just getting out there and having some fun.

There is gold to be found all the way down the Abercrombie to Wyangala dam.
Getting in there is the battle these days.

At the junction of the Copperhannia creek is the old Sounder claim, a sedimentary deposit from an ancient river system which ran in the hills above and parallel to the Mountain Run/Copperhannia system.
Gold found in the Copperhania has been, in the main, eroded out of and transported down slope to the creek.
Sluicing water for the Sounder claim was via an aqueduct built above and on the Eastern side of the Copperhannia over a length of around 10km.

The Sounder claim was worked by the Knowles family over a period of nearly 30 years, there is a small family cemetery there.

Further downstream on the Abercrombie, the Rocky bridge Creek joins in. This was also worked for gold right up to its source below Trunkey Creek village.
A little further down from this junction an old stamper can be found and when the dam water is low the remains of the mining village seen.

The Bathurst Metallogenic 1:250000 map sheet will provide you with much information.
Good luck
Mike

Thanks Mike for the tip on the map very helpful confusing to start with and after spending considerate time on reading and cross reference with g/e and other maps I now have a brain over load on the Abercrombie and surrounding area. I hope that you have a good Christmas. Cheers Rusty

Latest posts