W.A trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all ,Hope its hot enough lol,I am thinking of doing a trip to W.A with a prospecting tour ,I dont want to drive there want to fly in and fly out was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that does this .10 days would be great so any info on this would be great and any info on anyone that has done it to ..to hot to go swinging today so more research under the A/c ....Cheers all

It's hard to say what the costs are as you will have 4wd rental equipment rental, deisel,food--yep you've got lotsa research ahead-where are are from as whereis home?
Jaros ]:D

Give Darren or Leeanne Kampe of Gold & Relics Prospecting a call. He does fully catered for tours as well as tag along. Just google Gold & Relics Prospecting Tours for details. I've done two tag a longs and booked in again this year. Learning heaps, after tag a long I go wandering north thru the various gold regions applying what I've learnt. So far so good.

If you are an experienced and capable off-road driver you might find that a 4WD is unnecessary. We have an old Mazda 2WD ex-school bus that is quite capable of traversing all the WA goldfields that we've visited so far. Perhaps it's worth talking to your tour operator because you might get a lot more use from a high set van with camping facilities than a fuel hungry 4WD with limited space. Whatever you drive needs to have robust tires but a good set of van tires are as good as the average 4WD tires.

Can highly recommend Linc and Kim at http://www.gold2r.com.au/
They do tag along plus fully catered FIFO. Many of their customers are return customers.

If doing a self drive, what vehicle depends on when and where you are going.
Some parts of the Laverton area have had over 400mm of rain so far this year. Here at Erlistoun station we've had 200mm since the 1st of Feb alone. We've enough ground water to carry us through to December and there is more forecast.

Many station tracks are now gone or close to gone, and even after the rain has gone much of the ground off track will be extremely soft for months to come.
The rain has shifted a lot of sand, some once solid tracks are now basically a foot or more of sand and others are now washed out down to bedrock and 4x4 is needed.

Yesterday on the Bandya road which has turned to a goat track one creek crossing saw water coming up through the floor and my cruiser floating. The next crossing the water was at the 2 metre mark, so obviously impassable.

This is extreme and not always like this but even on a normal dry year I would still recommend a capable 4x4 if heading off the beaten tracks. As for tyres, can't seem to beat simple split rims, tubes and decent straight walled 750/16's and the tools to repair and change them. Carry at least 2 spares.
Still I often do up to 4 tyres a week and have done 5 in one day.

Latest posts