New to metal detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am very new to the metal detecting and this forum
While I am still working out how to use a forum (Lol)
I would to say my wife has given me a go-ahead on buying my first mid range detector.
After doing a lot of research and my budget I'm undecided with the NOKTA FORS GOLD PLUS & the Makro Gold Racer.
They are both in my budget and if I'm on the right track. My question is what is the best one out the 2 for gold detection in mineralised ground.
I know min labs Pi detectors are the best, it comes down to the budget any help would be very grateful
Regards

Welcome to the forum Grahamsgold.

Unfortunately you will struggle with both of those machines in mineralised ground. If you look around you may be able to find yourself a second hand SDC2300 which would be a far better machine and give you more of a chance of finding gold. I honestly think that if you get one of those other machines, you will either give up entirely due to the frustration or you will sell it within months (and lose money on it) to upgrade to a better machine. I see it so often on these forums and Facebook where people get a machine not really suited to their needs. Unfortunately to consistently find gold (and that sometimes can be a struggle) you will need to get a reasonable machine designed for the ground you wish to hunt in.

Hope this helps
regards Pat.

Welcome to the forum Grahamsgold and hope you enjoy your new hobby . You should get plenty of suggestions on this forum . I have a similar problem . I have been detecting since 1979 and after 48 years of marriage my wife has put her hand up to come detecting with me for coins in the gold fields . SteelPat's response to your post is spot on . I know that the VLF machines will struggle where I detect in heavy mineralisation , so I am going to buy her an SDC 2300 and tell her it's a coin machine .
All the best .

Cheers
goldrat

Thank you Goldrat, I will be looking in to these machines, I appreciate people who have been in the game as I am only New and 1k is a lot of lute for my first real buy, any help is appreciated,
Regards

Welcome aboard!! :)

There's plenty of info on here comparing great detectors and their capabilities. ;)
Also,
Soooo many friendly and helpful members to point you in the right direction and give helpful advise!! :) :lol: :D

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

Hi Madhatter,
Thank you, I am just learning more info about the best Metal detector for the budget of 1k , as you may have seen the above advice is fantastic about the getting an SDC2300 but my budget won't allow it . My thoughts have been with makro gold racer and the nokta gold plus, at the moment a Pi detector is out of my reach even a 2nd hand one . After hours of research these 2 seem to be up there for vlf detectors
Any thoughts?
Regards

Hi mate, :)
Sorry I cant offer you much advice on VLF machines I haven't really researched them at all. :(
Maybe a Fisher GoldBug Pro 2 apart from that I don't know.... :8
Sorry :D

Only advise I could give is, save for a PI machine. ;) :D
Or try your luck and hire an SDC or GPX for the weekends maybe you might be lucky!!! :eek: ;) ;) :D

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure other's here will point you in the right direction. :)

Hi grahamsgold welcome to the forum all the advice above is spot on but thire is other options in your price range a old second hand minelab SD2100 SD 2200d with a couple of coils in the deal would give you a much better chance at finding gold than the VLF hope it gives you sum ideas. :)

Yep i agree with vstrom second hand machines he mentioned still find gold.Also fit the budget .His advice is worth some thought .Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome GG when I first started detecting we only had VLF detectors there was much gold found with these detector , The new VLF detectors are quiet different to what I was using back then.
Yes Minelab is the way to go BUT if you are on a budget well you have to get the best you can afford ,I have just purchased a makro racer 2 simular to the gold racer except for the frequency I have found I handles the mineralization well and are very impressed with it ,there are other on the forum that are using the fors gold hope this helps check out youtube regards john :)

Thanks heaps guys I really appreciate all your help and with that in mind of older min labs will be doing a quiet a bit more research and hunting will keep you all posted on the out come
Many more questions to come
Regards

Just letting you know....... ;) :)

on the main page for the forum,

Scroll down to "metal Detectors" :eek: ;)
and click on "Minelab" :D

There are posts about these Minelab detectors the 2100 and 2200 that will answer most of you queries. ;)
Maybe message someone whom has one and ask their opinion. ;) ;) :D

A friend of mine has a SD 2200d and is a good machine for the money and is pretty versatile on small and larger gold.

Latest posts