Pump and spray bar size.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey that looks great!!

Question tho. Is the perforated metal sitting higher then the grizzly bar? If so how come?

go with holes staggard 1 inch apart 1 quarter inch apart two rows each bar only the side bars they should not hit each other 25 mm pvc 2mm holes it blasts clay to pieces and the only thing you need is a concrete hole brush to stick up your pipe if you have screw on end caps its the same one you use to clean out holes if your going to dynabolt looks like a bottle brush but thinner and firm cheap and work a dream

bazron said:
Hey that looks great!!

Question tho. Is the perforated metal sitting higher then the grizzly bar? If so how come?

It's the design of the hopper. It helps with scrubbing clay and has a miners moss underneath. I just bought it from Gold Rat Highbankers aka Golddigg@. I am very impressed with the way its build. Look him up on the internet.

Hi Bazron,
Just wondering how you are going with that 20mm pvc for the spraybar? 20mm would be around 3/4" right? The reason I ask is I am in the middle of building a Walbanker (I know there is info on this in the Walbanker specs thread, but the size suggested is no smaller than 1" if I recall) and I am using a 3/4" spraybar I found in the shed. I thought it was 1" at first, but on closer inspection it is 3/4". Anyway here is my setup, I will try to post pics later.

Intake: approx. 5m of 1" flexi suction hose

Pump: 4 stroke 3hp 1.5" (soon to purchase)

Supply: (reduced from 1.5" from the pump) to 30m of 1" layflat hose (I got a good buy)

Spraybar: (reduced from 1" layflat) into a 3/4" elbow into the 3/4" spraybar. 14 Slots cut at 2cm intervals.

Aluminium camlocks and stainless T-bolt clamps used throughout.

As I am yet get hold of a pump it is impossible to test atm. I understand my sizes jump around a bit, but is this a bad thing? Keeping in mind that I have built most of it from used, recycled/found materials to keep the $ down and set a challenge.

Interested in other members thoughts.

Cheers

Hi Jamie. I was a bit concerned with that mate...so here's the thing, the pump is also available in 1" (still 4 stroke, 3hp).Would this be ok to use?

cheers

imo bigger is better, you wont need to push the 1.5" as hard as the 1" so the pros of it is less fuel usage, less strain on the pump and more revs in reserve if you need to push more water (up hill, further distance, clay etc) the cons of the bigger pump tho is more weight if that is a factor to you, generally more expensive and you will need to buy more hose to suit in this case.
i have a 2" 6.5hp 4 stroke pump and i will get about 3 days from a tank of fuel, my pump is on idle the whole time but have a heap of spare revs if need be, the down side of it tho is it is heavy (25ish kg from memory) doesnt seem like much but carrying it 500m up a creek is awful, but i am no expert on sluicing mate, i am sure if i am giving you a bum steer (not on purpose i assure you) someone will point it out

I don't think you are giving me a bum steer. Your thoughts around pump size are pretty consistent with what I have read on other threads. I have a feeling that the pumps I am looking at on ebay are one in the same pump. The specs are the same between the two sizes. (3hp, 4 stroke, same weight 12kg, same flow of 12000 Litres/hour etc), the only thing that varies is the in and out sizing of 1" or 1.5". Is this possible,I don't know? I am going to have to contact the seller,it could be a mistake.

Thanks mate, your input is very helpful.

Hi pt73 i ended up using 1" pvc.

i run 1.5" lay flat right up the the start of the spray bar then reduce it at that point.

I decided to cut slits after id drilled holes in the bar but that wasnt a problem. Slits are cut 15mm apart with a total of 14 slits across each side of the spray bar puts out a good pressure so im happy.

From the sounds of it id say youve done well. I wouldnt worry about the size changes to much as long as you have good flow and your pump isnt under to much pressure.

One thing i need to do is add some flexi hose!!

here is my finished highbanker. ive been out and givin it a test run seems to work just fine. tho dry hard packed dirt and clay from the hill side is a pain to break up. everything i dug from the creek bed seemd to break up nicely.
1469859346_20160722_164551.jpg

Ive only tested it locally no gold in the creek here. I know the sluice set up catches gold because its what i use in my sluice boxes. Ill be taking it to eldorado/creswick in the next few weeks. Im just not sure how much water is up that way right now.. probably lots. :p

When you say up,I take it you are near Melbourne? I'm just north of Sydney, and like you there is no shiny stuff in the creeks around here. I have to drive at least 2.5hrs to find anything decent. I'll be testing my Walbanker in a local creek (unless the old man lets me use his inground pool), and can just see the faces on the onlookers now. There will be some head scratchin and no doubt plenty of questions....and most definitely no gold. :rolleyes:

jamie said:
PT73 try to get 1.5in suction hose for pickup if you go with the 1.5in pump, pumps dont generally like to be restricted on the suction side of things
Gonna take your advice mate and go bigger. Gets a bit pricey. Do you think pool vacuum flexi hose will do the job? It's reasonably priced on ebay.

Nice work building your banker mate, I was lazy and bought mine, but put a spray bar on it. The feedback I got on the outlets was that insted of jets, slots would be better, so I'll make another cross bar that I can screw in and test a couple of options, maybe different ones for different dirts.
1471039421_banker.jpg

PT73 said:
jamie said:
PT73 try to get 1.5in suction hose for pickup if you go with the 1.5in pump, pumps dont generally like to be restricted on the suction side of things
Gonna take your advice mate and go bigger. Gets a bit pricey. Do you think pool vacuum flexi hose will do the job? It's reasonably priced on ebay.
to be honest mate i haven't used pool vacuum hose before but i am sure someone around here probably has, maybe try starting a new post asking about it in particular, sorry i cant help you with that one.

No worries Jamie cheers anyway. I can't see why not. I can get 10m of 2 inch for $35. Not sure how durable it is, but figure that will give me a couple of spare lengths if I make the intake 3 mtrs.

Latest posts