Cheap accomodation in Victoria's gold fields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys it would be great to have a list of places to stay in the vic goldfields.. also what you thought of the accommodation if it's was good or bad worth the money or not ? Cheers guys

OK, I'll start:
1. At Laanecoorie there's the Laanecoorie Lakeside Park. Good prices on smaller cabins and camp sites. It's where the Laanecoorie Gold Bash is held every year. Nearest good tucker is the Tarnagulla pub (small/countryish, great meals - always good blokes to meet) or Dunolly (OK pizzas & fish/chips - maybe a renovated pub in the near future).
2. At Maryborough, there's 3 that I use: Wattle Grove (cheapish, but a reasonable walk to the Highland Society for a club meal - a little hard when you've the "wobbly boot" on tho). Junction Motel (more up-market (missus might prefer it), but a shorter walk into town), and the Golden Country Motel (cheapish, and right opposite the Lawn Bowls and Golf Club (for a beer and good tucker).
3. In Dunolly, there's the Golden Triangle Motel. Just changed ownership and was recently quite costly, but Ken (the new owner) has stated there will be renovations and discounts for prospectors (we'll see) as he's a senior club member of some local branch, with regular club meet-ups held there.

BigWave said:
OK, I'll start:
1. At Laanecoorie there's the Laanecoorie Lakeside Park. Good prices on smaller cabins and camp sites. It's where the Laanecoorie Gold Bash is held every year. Nearest good tucker is the Tarnagulla pub (small/countryish, great meals - always good blokes to meet) or Dunolly (OK pizzas & fish/chips - maybe a renovated pub in the near future).
2. At Maryborough, there's 3 that I use: Wattle Grove (cheapish, but a reasonable walk to the Highland Society for a club meal - a little hard when you've the "wobbly boot" on tho). Junction Motel (more up-market (missus might prefer it), but a shorter walk into town), and the Golden Country Motel (cheapish, and right opposite the Lawn Bowls and Golf Club (for a beer and good tucker).
3. In Dunolly, there's the Golden Triangle Motel. Just changed ownership and was recently quite costly, but Ken (the new owner) has stated there will be renovations and discounts for prospectors (we'll see) as he's a senior club member of some local branch, with regular club meet-ups held there.
The Albion hotel in Maryborough has cheapish rooms to about $80 las time I stayed there. Not bad actually. Although Ive been staying out bush last few trips as it's free. :)

A place I'd recommend is the Inglewood Motel & Caravan Park. The Motel section has about 6 or so rooms. They are clean, tidy and have everything you need at a low price. You can walk straight out on to the goldfields and are centrally located to many other goldfields, all within half an hour. Plus you are surrounded by other detectorist who are always good for a chat. I switch between camping in summer to motel in winter.
I also just stayed at the Wattle Grove at Maryborough. Again clean,tidy and cheap but the room was very small. Just need to check if they have larger rooms if you're taking the misus. It was fine for me as I just crash at night and up early in the morning.
Cheers

Dig'n-it said:
A place I'd recommend is the Inglewood Motel & Caravan Park. The Motel section has about 6 or so rooms. They are clean, tidy and have everything you need at a low price. You can walk straight out on to the goldfields and are centrally located to many other goldfields, all within half an hour. Plus you are surrounded by other detectorist who are always good for a chat. I switch between camping in summer to motel in winter.
I also just stayed at the Wattle Grove at Maryborough. Again clean,tidy and cheap but the room was very small. Just need to check if they have larger rooms if you're taking the misus. It was fine for me as I just crash at night and up early in the morning.
Cheers
Yeah I found Wattle Grove rooms a bit small to.

Dunolly caravan park, budget onsite vans and cabins, but popular among prospectors, so need to book.

Right next to the Train line so you might need earplugs to sleep, but that applies to Maryborough also.

Avoca Caravan Park, same deal, but no trains.

Hi Chewy I don't thing that the Albion in Maryborough is operating at the moment as they found the publican had committed suicide some months ago. They may be still letting out rooms. But I don't think the pub is running as I have not seen anyone outside on the sidewalk for a long time.

Condor22 I have heard on the grapevine at the Dunolly caravan park has changed hands. I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone on the site will set the record straight.
wombat ;)

wombat said:
Hi Chewy I don't thing that the Albion in Maryborough is operating at the moment as they found the publican had committed suicide some months ago. They may be still letting out rooms. But I don't think the pub is running as I have not seen anyone outside on the sidewalk for a long time.

Condor22 I have heard on the grapevine at the Dunolly caravan park has changed hands. I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone on the site will set the record straight.
wombat ;)
Wow! I didn't know that wombat. That's a pity.

Also don't rely on online booking services for room or site availability, nor pricing. I booked in at Wedderburn Motel, with only one room being shown as available, and ended up paying top dollar. Got there and found that 3/4 of the motel was empty for the duration of my stay. :rolleyes: Whether it as something to do with only a certain number of rooms being allocated to online booking, I'm not sure, still something to be aware of.

Probably best bet is to actually ring beforehand to get best pricing/availability, and also to avoid any excess fees. :)

Goldpick said:
Also don't rely on online booking services for room or site availability, nor pricing. I booked in at Wedderburn Motel, with only one room being shown as available, and ended up paying top dollar. Got there and found that 3/4 of the motel was empty for the duration of my stay. :rolleyes: Whether it as something to do with only a certain number of rooms being allocated to online booking, I'm not sure, still something to be aware of.

Probably best bet is to actually ring beforehand to get best pricing/availability, and also to avoid any excess fees. :)
Gotta win top post for travel bookings worldwide Gp ,... what an absolute eye opener when it comes to travel and bookings of any sort ,.... mate, you are a honest legend, that is for sure ! :eek: :p :cool: 8) :D

Latest posts