Neodymium magnets and non-magnetic metals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wrote a comment on another thread but it may have been unseen or not understood so ill ellaborate here.

Not long ago a friend and I were playing with all shapes n sizes or neodymium magnets and found an interesting thing out.

If you have a cylidrical neodymium and drop it down a alluminium tube it fits into with a little bit of space around the edge and drop it while holding them verticle, the magnet not only bounces side to side on its way down gaining friction, but the magnet actually slows down considerably as well. Even if you try to drop it without it hitting the walls of the hollow tube, it will still 'slow' down.

Now why is this? It seems that neodymium magnets have a force which enables them to change the atoms on non metallic golds and re-arrange them somewhat to form a magnetic attraction.

An easy way to see this is by vigorously waving a neodymium back and forth over a piece of alluminium cut from a can and you will see it shift with the magnet, abrupltly.

Anyone else got some thoughts... does it work with a nugget?

Can this be of some sort of use with the right minds put into play.

AtomRat said:
I wrote a comment on another thread but it may have been unseen or not understood so ill ellaborate here.

Not long ago a friend and I were playing with all shapes n sizes or neodymium magnets and found an interesting thing out.

If you have a cylidrical neodymium and drop it down a alluminium tube it fits into with a little bit of space around the edge and drop it while holding them verticle, the magnet not only bounces side to side on its way down gaining friction, but the magnet actually slows down considerably as well. Even if you try to drop it without it hitting the walls of the hollow tube, it will still 'slow' down.

Now why is this? It seems that neodymium magnets have a force which enables them to change the atoms on non metallic golds and re-arrange them somewhat to form a magnetic attraction.

An easy way to see this is by vigorously waving a neodymium back and forth over a piece of alluminium cut from a can and you will see it shift with the magnet, abrupltly.

Anyone else got some thoughts... does it work with a nugget?

Can this be of some sort of use with the right minds put into play.

What an interesting post, thanks digger. J.

G'day Art, Now I know what you do with all your spare time. :lol: :lol: Can you now tell me what a neodymium magnet is (I could goggle it) call me dumb but this is all to cleaver for me but could be handy to know one day.

Cheers, DD

Like Reeks said. The pipe is non magnetic but conductive. Electron flow is induced in the pipe by the moving magnet (these are principles on which an AC motor works) which in turn induces a magnetic field that opposes the magnet's magnetic field. The electron flow is circular around the pipe hence Eddy current (Lenz's Law). The induction principle is Faraday's Law. The opposing magnetic field causes drag and slows the magnet.

Zorgs said:
Like Reeks said. The pipe is non magnetic but conductive. Electron flow is induced in the pipe by the moving magnet (these are principles on which an AC motor works) which in turn induces a magnetic field that opposes the magnet's magnetic field. The electron flow is circular around the pipe hence Eddy current (Lenz's Law). The induction principle is Faraday's Law. The opposing magnetic field causes drag and slows the magnet.

OK all seems to be coming together, I was thinking it was a special magnet of some sort. (like I said call me dumb)

Cheers, DD

Digger Danny said:
G'day Art, Now I know what you do with all your spare time. :lol: :lol: Can you now tell me what a neodymium magnet is (I could goggle it) call me dumb but this is all to cleaver for me but could be handy to know one day.

Cheers, DD

Neodymium is a rare earth metal mined probably under child labour and forreat destroying techniques...but its a super strong chemical used for very strong magnets. Unlike a normal magnet..a neodymium will cause terrible bodily damage if handled incorrectly or ingested.

They stop pacemakers so if you have one..don't even go near a neodymium.

If a neodymium magnet is cracked or broken / chipped, it should be tossed in the rubbish as the nickel layer that once protected you from the toxins is gone.

Some genious thought 'bucky-balls' were a great idea for a children's toy..like the old ball magnet toy..problem is..when several small neodymium magnets are ingested..they tend to rip straight through organs with thier powerful magnetism causing severe internal bleeding and organ failure.

kawman - didn't know that one :)

reeks / zorgs - if a current can be produced then shouldn't a sensor / detector be able to be made to use this phenomenon?

TheSilentBugler said:
AtomRat said:
if a current can be produced then shouldn't a sensor / detector be able to be made to use this phenomenon?

That's exactly how a detector works in principle.
No, like in the way that resonating or oscillating neodymiums are in a coil and then those signals analysed. I do understand its similar..but not in the context I mean

I havnt clicked the above links yet..better do that

Ok..had a quick look.. the tube is self explanitory but the same phenomena happens when you rapidly wave a neodymium just over a non-magnetical metal as well. It doesn't need to be in a tube. I'm sure what I'm saying isn't useful or not known but I just feel it can be used with the new neodymium magnets to perform some sort of analysis of soils and large metal forms like nuggets

Tell me if I'm wrong but what your saying is that its no different to the ol copper coil & magnet shake torch which just stores the energy in a capacitor?

Ahhh..I think the ol atomrat brain fart just happened ..I get ya :rolleyes:

But still... :lol:

There must be some way... I'm sure the electromagnetic field generated by power / coil would be very different to the field that a neodymium would make..and depending on its shape, something electronic coils are limited to..

Yup, exactly the same, a changing mag field will induce current in a conductor, it's a useful (and fun) test of the purity of silver bullion, silver will slow down when sliding over and inclined magnet, just because pure silver is a really good conductor, as are most pure metals.

TheSilentBugler said:
Yup, exactly the same, a changing mag field will induce current in a conductor, it's a useful (and fun) test of the purity of silver bullion, silver will slow down when sliding over and inclined magnet, just because pure silver is a really good conductor, as are most pure metals.
Neodymium highbanker nugget brakes did you say?

Latest posts