Angus MacKirk Sluice questions, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone just bought two angus mackirk sluices today a boss for the river my back will thank me I hope and a predator3 for cleaning up the cons. I have got some cons that I have left over from a previous trip out highbanking so I'm going to run that thru the predator when it gets here and tweak angles and flow. Bought them from nuggets from down under they said it should arrive tomorrow. Very fast delivery to Sydney if it does. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks

Hey Daniel, Welcome to the MacKirk club.
You won't be disappointed with it.

G0lddigg@ said:
Nice am still restyling with the idea of getting an angus, just can't commit to who which model

There's quite a few of us here that use them - various models.

Most of the models will have some sort of review on YouTube or at least a clip of them in use.

Write down what requirements you need depending on the size streams/rivers you'll work, volume of material you want to process & how big a sluice you want to lug around. Then a list of the ones that fit that category to help narrow down the choices.

The dimensions they give you are the outside dimensions of the sluice - not the riffle section width.
So an 11" wide sluice may only have a 9,1/2" wide riffle section...

Hi all,

I bought one a few weeks ago from Detect a Den - very fast postage. I'm looking forward to testing it out :)

Hi guys,(Newby here)
Recently purchased an Angus ("Explorer" model) from Detect a den, very happy with service, very fast. Tried it out on a small bucket of concentrate that I had previously panned and was stunned that it had small to very fine gold in it that I had missed. (Does not say good things about my panning skills.) :( Still learning and cant wait till get out there and give it a proper go...

Hi Tige and NIC103

One thing i am starting to think with my McKirk sluice is that i had been trying to run it too steep or with too much water flow early on because i thought i had to wash out ALL of the small heavy gravels in the riffles

I think perhaps its okay to have some gravels there because the gold will tend to replace it anyway , and i can pan the gravel and gold at cleanup stage .

that is an error that i think lost me a bit of fine gold in my early attempts at using it

good luck out there people :)

I have got my sluices picked them up from the post office on Friday. I spent an hour going thru the cons I kept and I am well and truly impressed. I have even gone to the extreme of digging out some cons I have already gone thru that are down the side of the house and I'm still picking up gold. Either I'm really really crap at panning or this sluice is the best thing even though I run all cons thru a blue bowl and double pan. I really wish I bought the predator a long time ago as it would have saved hours of time and less arguments with the missus eg. Living in the garage. I cannot rate this sluice high enough. Do yourselves a favour and get one! I'm going back to digging up the cons. Cheers

Hi
See quite a few references to Angus Mac sluices ..... apart from a some location in Mudgee (from memory), I have not seen any reference to them being available from stores in Victoria.
Are they only available by mail order/online?
I tend to like to see what I'm buying (hoping for 1 that's very portable and 1 for processing at home) and wanted to see what they're like.
That being said are there any other similar, or Aussie, comparable units.
Cheers Tom.

Aussie Detecting & Prospecting have them Bendigo.
So does Australian Prospecting Supplies Melbourne.

Teemore said:
Hi
See quite a few references to Angus Mac sluices ..... apart from a some location in Mudgee (from memory), I have not seen any reference to them being available from stores in Victoria.
Are they only available by mail order/online?
I tend to like to see what I'm buying (hoping for 1 that's very portable and 1 for processing at home) and wanted to see what they're like.
That being said are there any other similar, or Aussie, comparable units.
Cheers Tom.

I got one from australian prospecting supplies recently. I emailed the guy before and he was happy for me to collect it if i wanted to. I had it shipped and it arrived in couple of days.

Gday, I have 2, the Grub and the Forman, Grub for slow or small flow, and the Forman for the wet season/ faster flow, both pick up the smallest specks!
Light weight easy to carry, easy to set up and Uber easy to clean up, the sluice misses nothing at all that I can see! Set up and flow are of some inport to this. :rolleyes:
Got mine next day post from MinersDen Cairns. (Down side, The postman knows now! lol)

The grub likes finer stuff(1/4inch down), Forman likes medium to fine.(1inch down) give or take a little!? :8
All ill say is, research, research, google, youtube and this forum are the best!

Hi Danielkrupski and all,

So glad you are impressed with the outcome of the AM sluices! I've used three models for a few years now (since 2008 or 09-ish). Our main one is the Explorer (with large removable flare attachment), then the Grub Mini for a quick prospect and more recently a Boss -which now resides as my highbanker.

It's okay to have a few gravels build up in the riffles as it helps trap and keep the gold in there. The best part of using these is seeing those larger flakes and small nuggets sitting right on the slick plate at the back when you're feeding it! :D

If I can offer any advice at all it would be to just watch the gold's position in the riffles now and again. I don't like to see gold go past the fourth riffle on our larger explorer if I can help it. If you see gold getting down nearer to the end riffles just adjust the flow back a little or flatten the angle a touch. Remember to always keep a pan or tub under the end if you need an extra margin of safety during the first few runs.

All the best with it! I'm sure they'll pay themselves off in no time.
Cheers,
Shauno.

Hi bit off topic here , but has anybody tried the top runner sluice or tr11 sluice. Have seen them on YouTube and love the NO classify part. They have a email but may not b In buisness anymore ( not good 4 the sluice if so ) as they never reply to mail :( . I can't fault there ideas for fast fine recovery other than it won't hold any larger than ur chosen punch plate size. The main reason for asking is I live close to colour creeks and no one digs there coz it's small, did I say small, ow yep. I don't have to many trips away over the year,so I was looking into this tiny gold and a way of fast No powered recovery for quick trips but still getting the tiny colour in the bucket to bring home :) ty Peter

SuperPeter said:
Hi bit off topic here , but has anybody tried the top runner sluice or tr11 sluice. Have seen them on YouTube and love the NO classify part. They have a email but may not b In buisness anymore ( not good 4 the sluice if so ) as they never reply to mail :( . I can't fault there ideas for fast fine recovery other than it won't hold any larger than ur chosen punch plate size. The main reason for asking is I live close to colour creeks and no one digs there coz it's small, did I say small, ow yep. I don't have to many trips away over the year,so I was looking into this tiny gold and a way of fast No powered recovery for quick trips but still getting the tiny colour in the bucket to bring home :) ty Peter

Hi SP,
Those might warrant their own thread!
They look amazingly well built. Just had a look at the blog site where he has the video and pictures posted.
Thanks so much for the heads-up on those!
Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Hi all,
Heading of tomorrow for Creswick for a few days, family R&R with the grandson really but will drag Angus along to see if he can earn his keep. Haven't tried him previously but YTube and such look interesting.
Time will be short, gotta keep the family happy to earn another leave pass, so intend to just collect the cons and do a clean up at home.
Any AMac tips to assist would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Tom
ps ..... he thinks he's the Foreman BUT i'm the Boss.

Hi Ramjet,
It's the Foreman, think they say a 1 inch pebble should make it's way through it at an even speed, most of the pebbles I know come in around 3 million different shapes, but I guess they aren't talking about a square or totally flat one, then again maybe it makes no difference.
Will be trying it out in a totally decimated area (at least I know there's water there) so keen to see how it behaves before getting serious with it.
Cheers Tom

I have a boss which is the next size up and i am very happy with it. Very easy to set up and clean out. Just play with it and you will work it out. Just be careful when you getting it out from the water.

Latest posts