CTX's first month

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just loving the CTX, this is it's 5th week in my hands and so far nearly $300 in decimals with about 100 1c and 2c pieces. But have started really concentrating on the pre dec in the last couple of weeks carried the 705 around with me the other day just to see whether it would see what the CTX was seeing. Got a clean 12-45 that had some junk around it judging by the trace around the screen on the CTX, the 705 blanked then into AM got an array of tones and numbers from 8 through to 40, was a Sixpence surrounded by quite a lot of rusty steel and crumbled foil. Another not so clear 12-46 and 01-30 but repeatable, 705 18 then blanked, Penny under a alloy bottle top. I squirmed at the cost of the CTX at first but am glad I went with it in the end just awesome. My old boy has just purchased a Deus so really looking forward to putting them head to head as well.
1434773541_dsc02429.jpg

Great result :cool: and welcomed feedback on the comparison between the CTX and 705.

Am curious what depth differences, if any, between the two and what depth the pre-decimals are at?

Wally69 said:
Great result :cool: and welcomed feedback on the comparison between the CTX and 705.

Am curious what depth differences, if any, between the two and what depth the pre-decimals are at?

Wasn't really taking notice of depth difference, all the pre decimals in this area are around the 6-9 inch mark. This ground has not been touched since the early days as far as I can tell. I got a 12-46 all on its own and the 705 gave a clear 34 with 4 arrows on the screen and it was a Penny at about the 7 inch mark from memory. I think the 705 would see all of the coins if they were not surrounded by so much junk, but this ground has tones on nearly every swing and the CTX is just leaps ahead in separating targets. Quite remarkable how much steel comes out of the holes when digging. One thing I have worked out so far with the CTX is a little sensitivity goes a long way, running at between 9-11 and with an open screen this really allows it to do it's thing.

Good to know, that a machine costing 4 times as much is worth the investment. Let us know, how the deus compares to the ctx :)

Well had the little Deus/CTX shootout, 4 hours at a spot for 10 pennies, 4 half pennies and 1 threepence. We checked quite a few targets with both machines and only one out of all of them was a none digger with the Deus but good enough for a dig with CTX and turned out to be a Penny with a lot of junk with it, my old boy has only been using the Deus for a couple of weeks and he hasn't tuned into the deus as yet so with a bit more tuning he would of probably got the tone he was looking for. As this is a heavy trash site that the 705 really struggles in, it really tested both machines and I don't think there is much between the 2.
The Deus is so light and easy to swing, compacts down very neatly but the screen is small and can be hard to read. The CTX is on the heavy side, but with its colour screen and cursor trace for identifying small targets amongst the trash to me it seemed to separate the targets just as good as the Deus. Both have their pro's just depends on what pro's you are looking for.

Thanks for the report Goldwright, I think the biggest killer for me on the CTX would be the price and weight. If I were still doing lots of beach work I may have considered the CTX, but since I'm only doing inland detecting, the extra $$$ for the waterproofing, gps etc seems a bit of a waste on me ( like nearly $1000 more than the Deus, dependent on dealer discounting).

Although the use of the dual ferrous/conductive numbers on the FBS detectors is highly addictive, my arm/hand is also starting to cry out for a lighter detector to swing. ;)

Latest posts