New & Excited

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

Very new to this prospecting game however, excited to join the swingers club. A good friend of mine has only stared himself a couple of months ago and has great success already! Hoping if I hang around him long enough some of his luck will rub off! Now all I need is a detector! Any advice on a detector for around $1000-$1500 new or used would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Keano

Hi Keano, welcome to the forum. What kind of detecting are you mainly interested in? Are you after gold, or treasure hunting? It might influence the detector type you're after. A lot of detectors designed for treasure hunting struggle with the highly mineralised ground where gold is found.

Ah yes. The gold bug bite is very infectious. I suggest you do some research on the different detectors to decide which you like best wihin your budget. Check out youtube videos, our members have put some up also, and have look at the threads in the detctor sections. There is different technology used mainly pulse induction vs vlf with very low frequency detctors usually finding hot ground struggle. I was in the same boat as you not so long ago, went from going to buy a Minelab xterra 705, to a Eureka gold, to an Sdc 2300, and wound up buying a Minelab Gpx 5000, which was more than I was going to spend. I figured it was an investment. But you can find some good used detectors for sale and there is a for sale section down towards the bottom of the main page. :)

Second hand SD-series can be found for not much more than a grand, with good flexibility of coils. Otherwise the Whites PI detectors could fit the bill.

Thank you Chewy & mfdes for your detector advice, all of which I will look into. Also thank you to the others for your welcoming notes. I can honestly say I have looked many an other forums from other site of other hobbies and this site is by far the friendliest from what I have seen. It makes it hard to stop reading and shut the laptop. :)

Hi Keano, welcome aboard.

If it is gold your after...I would be looking at the SD series as well. Well proven and still finding nice gold.

Welcome mate, this forum is always friendly and advice is the best in this game. Can't go wrong happy hunting and may the colour be with you

Latest posts