Garrett Ace 400i Shoalhaven

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
went to the local beach today and found rubbish and yes bottle tops as well and a 5c piece
however i did 10 min in my back yard under the cloths line and found this
the spoon was about 6" in the ground the rest was about 2-3"
1520821014_100_73551.jpg

Whisp said:
I was at Jupiter Creek last month and in the middle of nowhere the Deus goes "dig here" .... I found a one dollar coin. Well, it's sort of nearly gold .... if you squint a bit.
Your comments always crack me up.Thank you. :D :Y:

FireandIce used the 400i today at the show grounds and like me found rubbish :8 :8 :8
no pictures we all know what rubbish looks like :lol: :lol: :lol:
currently we are trying to work out the settings but that will come with practice and study ]:D ]:D

7.62marksman said:
FireandIce used the 400i today at the show grounds and like me found rubbish :8 :8 :8
currently we are trying to work out the settings but that will come with practice and study ]:D ]:D

I run mine almost exclusively on Relic mode with all but 2 bars of sensitivity with great results. I always scan both ways on a decent target and try to seperate multiple targets that are close. Im using a 300i and the coil on them is a bit smaller than the 400i I believe and may be easier in trashy areas? Awesome machines though and a coin hunting weapon in my opinion.

Tiezto said:
7.62marksman said:

I run mine almost exclusively on Relic mode with all but 2 bars of sensitivity with great results. I always scan both ways on a decent target and try to seperate multiple targets that are close. Im using a 300i and the coil on them is a bit smaller than the 400i I believe and may be easier in trashy areas? Awesome machines though and a coin hunting weapon in my opinion.

Thanks Tiezto, Will try that next time I go out. Looking at the Garrett 400I 4.5 inch sniper, any thoughts on that?

FireandIce said:
Tiezto said:
7.62marksman said:

Thanks Tiezto, Will try that next time I go out. Looking at the Garrett 400I 4.5 inch sniper, any thoughts on that?

I was thinking about that but not sure how much you could cover with it being so small, great for tight areas I guess and for small gold. If you can get your hands on a standard 300i coil to try maybe and see if you can compare the 2 for coin hunting. I might do the same but with a DD. :Y:

I have also found that if the numbers are jumping a bit but you get an 84 mixed amongst the numbers both ways I will dig it and find that sometimes you still get a $2 coin in the same hole as some junk. I dont always just dig solid numbers. Saying that, if its a solid high tone one way and a low/mixed/nothing the other way, 9/10 ill move on.

The sniper coil is excellent for tot lots on the Ace series. You can get up hard against metal poles/play equipment etc and pick out all the goldies that other detectorists miss. Also very good for working real trashy areas in detail (ie gridding up smaller areas).

Goldpick said:
The sniper coil is excellent for tot lots on the Ace series. You can get up hard against metal poles/play equipment etc and pick out all the goldies that other detectorists miss. Also very good for working real trashy areas in detail (ie gridding up smaller areas).

Thanks Goldpick, just going to spend a few weeks getting used to the detector then will look into it, today was only the third time I have taken it out so still finding my feet with it :) Having heaps of fun learning though

Thanks Goldpick, i will be putting down some practice targets tomorrow to learn the different sounds and setting I need to use. All a learning curve but i am determined to get there :)

Latest posts