Yukon image .....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I know it's not Australia but always nice to see images of other goldfields (or towns).
This one is a stereoview of Dawson City (my other passion is collecting stereoviews), hasn't changed that much.

1645666383_3d4d73a5-2469-41d4-a5ff-85c679d6dfe1.jpg

1645666405_512e5589-0f30-4277-be34-0e0f4a501b3e.jpg

A lovely hobby you have there Teemore. I remember walking down the main street of Dunolly back in the 80s and read about all those businesses on the mile. Pubs, banks, general stores, brothels, barber/dentist, doctors etc, etc.
Ilove your image and wondering if you have one of Dodge City, Tombstone,Truth or Consequences?
Mackka

I've obviously got too much time on my hands, but anyway... :lol:

I had a look on Google Maps and street view to see if I could find the modern day building but couldn't, at least, not by driving down Front street.

Had a look through other streets as well and couldn't find anything but realised the mountain in the background on the original pic was quite close (which it isn't if you look down Front St and is on the wrong angle if you look up Front St).

A bit more Googling of names in the pic and I found this. https://spl.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/api/singleitem/image/p16118coll32/46/default.jpg which is from this website https://spl.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16118coll32/id/46/

It gives a better view and confirms it is the same building as in the original pic with a Warystrom Dentist sign on the corner of the building.

The building today looks like this. No windows along the bottom and 1 less window along the top. The view is actually standing in Front St and looking down Queen.

1645702698_yukon_pic_1.jpg

One of the signs you will see in both the old photos is the 'Aurora Pack Train Office'.

And in the linked photo above it also shows the large river boat pulled into dock over on the far left of the photo.

And here is one of them sitting in the same spot in dry dock today.

1645702946_yukon_pic_2.jpg

So yes, it is all pretty similar today. Streets are still gravel and all.

Great old photos Teemore :Y:

Thank you Teemore,

For those of us without a viewer to get the 3D effect I have prepared a cross-eyed version to view without a viewer.
Google "How To Free View Stereoscopic Pairs" if the technique is unknown to you ........this is my passion :)
1645834562_screen_shot_2022-02-26_at_10.57.00_am.jpg

casper said:
Thank you Teemore,
Google "How To Free View Stereoscopic Pairs" if the technique is unknown to you ........this is my passion :)

Suppose I cold have added that ... those people who were good at (or can even remember them) looking at the "magic image/eye" 3d images that were around 20 (?) years ago would have no problem.

When you say it's your passion is that looking at them or collecting them.
Have close to 2000, about 1200 Australian views, the others are just incidental pick ups from lots over the years.
Might have to share notes.....
Cheers Tom.

Teemore said:
casper said:
Thank you Teemore,

Suppose I cold have added that ... those people who were good at (or can even remember them) looking at the "magic image/eye" 3d images that were around 20 (?) years ago would have no problem.

When you say it's your passion is that looking at them or collecting them.
Have close to 2000, about 1200 Australian views, the others are just incidental pick ups from lots over the years.
Might have to share notes.....
Cheers Tom.

.......actually I enjoy creating stereo images and converting ol' time parallel stereo views to cross eye free view so that I can enjoy them - so I guess I'm a collector too. Below are a few of my favorites.

1645873586_stereominers_hut_exhibit_ballarat_copy.jpg

1645873617_stereodesert_pea_stereo_copy_2.jpg

casper said:
.......actually I enjoy creating stereo images and converting ol' time parallel stereo views to cross eye free view so that I can enjoy them - so I guess I'm a collector too. Below are a few of my favorites.

That's awesome, used to do that myself before my eyesight went west. Was a member of Sydney Stereo Club for some time, enjoyed making my own views .... Cha Cha method with the Nikon and cheating a bit with the Fuji 3D camera.
These days I can view "stereo" via a viewer on most days but sometimes my left eye just won't play ball, ditto with freeviewing, used to be simple, bit of a struggle these days.
Cheers T.

Here's how I explain to newcomers on how to view a "cross eyed" stereo image on your computer screen.....

Load the the image and adjust the overall width of the stereo pair to around 250mm in width.

Your best viewing distance is one arms length from the screen.

Gaze at the image pair and relax and let your vision go "cross eyed" and you will now see four images.

If you cannot achieve four images try increasing the viewing distance or reducing the width of the image pair or a combination of both until you find the "sweet" spot.

When you have four images relax your eyes and the images will converge (ie come closer the together) and when the two inner images overlap relax again and hold and you you will have three images - concentrate to hold those three images and the centre image will become the dominate image .

Hold and focus on the dominate image and it will 'POP' into a 3D view you will find that you can look around inside the image just like looking in or out of a window or around inside a room.

Some (not all) beginners will initially experience some eye discomfort but with practice you will be able to almost instantly resolve a 3D image at will and without discomfort.

Practice now on Ned Kelly's death mask.

Enjoy

1645878191_ned_kelly_stereo_copy.jpg