Yarra Valley Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im down at yarra glen about once a week fishing. I might have to take a gold pan next time and have a look at some of the spots you suggested!

Found this water worn crystal at Big Pats Creek today just sitting in the creek, was sampling for gold but only 3 tiny specs in about 2 cups of black sand from 3 small buckets of 1/4" classified material run through the grubstake.
Disappointing about the lack of gold but I'm stoked at finding my first real gem (as water worn as it is) so will head up there again one day to search the creek for more crystals.
1423730593_dsc06504.jpg

1423730594_dsc06505.jpg

1423730594_dsc06507.jpg

Nice crystal there Pete, Golddigga, Teemore and myself got outa month ago and we found some crystals very similar to yours there. A couple terminated quartz crystals and some really clear crystals were a nice addition to the gold we found that day. Not sure if they are valuable but pretty any way.
1423733690_crys1.jpg

1423733710_crys4.jpg

My young son and I and took a drive up to Hoddle's Creek and Yankke Jims this afternoon. Stopped at 4 or 5 places along Hoddle's creek but couldn't find a place to easily get down to the creek bed unfortunately. Found one place we could have got down into the water and walked up the creek to some nice patches but given the depth of water and the temperature it would have been a wet and cold trip home after that so decided against.

From there we drove up the road a bit to Yankee Jim's creek where we had more luck getting down into the creek bed. Found a nice spot for panning right on the corner of Old Warbuton Rd and the Yarra Silvan Conduit Track. My son thought we'd hit eldorado when we first saw the creek bed.. gold speckles everywhere until I explained that it was pyrite.. Unfortunately we only got 2 pans through before it started to pour rain and we had to pack up. Marked the spot on my GPS so we will go back there and take another look in a few weeks, maybe once there's less water in the creeks..

All up, no gold but a lot of fun..

Anyone else been up around there lately?

I went and had a look at Yankee Jims about a year ago. Tonnes of mica, not pyrite...I think? But I dont really know so could be wrong. I didnt find any colour there either unfortunately but have read somewhere that it can be a little patchy at Yankee Jims. Probably wont head back there myself tbh. Hoddles is there whenever I need to do testing or whatever since theres a nice amount of black sands and the gold is fine, but not my fave spot...its just been chewed up sooo much and its a bit gross. But yeah just need to walk down the banks a bit and you'll come across a way down every so often.

Its a good day for prospecting,

Heading up the Yarra valley to have a look around some creeks. As it is very close to home.

Any pointers on some areas I should check out?

Thanks
Jayboy

I remember as a kid doing some panning near Warrandyte for color. Great results congrats.

Hey all - my very first post - so go easy. Loving the great info here and happy to have access to lots of experts willing to share their knowledge and enthusiasm.

Living in Melbourne's south east, I was excited to see this post with details of where to find some colour within a 1 hour drive of my place.

So I took a look at Hoddles Creek today which had good flow and some good places to get down the banks. I ran into a fellow prospector who said he'd found some colour. Will get back there when I can to try my luck. I also checked out Yankee Jims but there's currently very little flow.

A great day out and I'm now even more keen to get back to Hoddles with pan and sluice.

Was back at Hoddles yesterday for a fantastic day of sluicing/panning. Found a fair bit of fine colour and heaps of black sand. Seems buying a black pan wasn't the smartest move.

Will I need a magnet to help remove the black sand? I've seen some videos showing that all you need is a good tapping technique.

I'm still learning the ropes - and loving every minute. :)

Caesar said:
Was back at Hoddles yesterday for a fantastic day of sluicing/panning. Found a fair bit of fine colour and heaps of black sand. Seems buying a black pan wasn't the smartest move.

Will I need a magnet to help remove the black sand? I've seen some videos showing that all you need is a good tapping technique.

I'm still learning the ropes - and loving every minute. :)

Hoddles is a nice creek, my daughter and I visit the fruit and vege shop when we're up that way for freshly cooked Jam Donuts before we start our day panning... :)
Not sure I remember there being much black sand there mostly because I was working the white sand areas which can hold some nice spec counts.

All the best to you...
Cheers GDA :Y:

Ktaz said:
where was this JayBoy?

Last visit was 16 months ago so I doubt you'll get a reply.

Edit: Forgot to say from the Yarra Valley :playful: I would imagine almost every creek stream or river would be on the Exempt list in the YV after all it's a hippy cess pit now days.

Latest posts