Xterra 705 or Equinox 800 ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy cobb

Steve
Reaction score
I would like the 800 users views on updating my 705 for the nox 800 is it worth the $$$ in what it can do it would be used in parks and old site's mainly
Thanks for any input
Roy

The separation in trashy areas(recovery speed ) Is awesome roy..The 705 is a good detector for parks...But not in the Noxes league.. And as for beaches theres no comparison :Y:

Yeah, the xterra seems to lock onto iron signals and ignore everything else where the nox seems to lock onto high ID signals and descriminate out the surrounding iron a lot better. Also easier to tell a 'jumpy' ID high tone in my opinion. Coins and solid copper or brass relics rarely give anything but a single number ID and cans etc always jump around.

Smoky bandit said:
The separation in trashy areas(recovery speed ) Is awesome roy..The 705 is a good detector for parks...But not in the Noxes league.. And as for beaches theres no comparison :Y:

Thanks Smoky if memory serves me right you had a 705
Roy

I did mate.Used it around 10hrs a week for over 7 years...Got a whole thread on it.Exterra 705 finds..I got so used to that detector I thought there was none better..But I was wrong...Go the Nox mate you wont regret it. :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
I did mate.Used it around 10hrs a week for over 7 years...Got a whole thread on it.Smokys 705 finds..I got so used to that detector I thought there was none better..But I was wrong...Go the Nox mate you wont regret it. :Y:

Thanks for the information there Smoky it helps make my decision easer. I may have someone interested in my 705 so if they take it I will replace it with the nox 800
Roy

I am away at the momment and will call to Miners Den Bendigo tomorrow on our way home so I may or may not have a nox tomorrow night we will see
Roy
P.S. if I get it is there any where around Bendigo that you could recommend for a quick swing as I have never been there befor and will only be driving through on the way home.

roy cobb said:
Well I joined the nox club today will have to charge it up and give it a go when I get home . Could not pass it up at the price.
Roy
What price did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I've just bought one on eBay now and I paid $1140.. I was happy with that

mineallmine said:
roy cobb said:
Well I joined the nox club today will have to charge it up and give it a go when I get home . Could not pass it up at the price.
Roy
What price did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I've just bought one on eBay now and I paid $1140.. I was happy with that

I picked mine up for $1150 incude Doud dtones book on detecting and some gold maps as well.

Advice needed. I have been using a 705 for about a year, mainly at the beach, parks, and around old buildings. It works well, but I will be travelling to the gold fields later this year, and I'm not sure how it will go searching for gold. Would I be better to upgrade to a new Equinox 800?

Short answer = Yes, with the following provisos:
1. You need to utilise the 6" Equinox coil and detect slowly and very carefully; and
2. The 800 has recently had an upgrade to the new, improved, Equinox 900. You may choose to look for a discounted 800 (or a good, used one), or to go for the new model.

Bonus: As a multi-frequency detector, the Equinox will open up wet sand areas on beaches for you (including in the shallows), that are probably no-go zones with the single-frequency Xterra.

Short answer = Yes, with the following provisos:
1. You need to utilise the 6" Equinox coil and detect slowly and very carefully; and
2. The 800 has recently had an upgrade to the new, improved, Equinox 900. You may choose to look for a discounted 800 (or a good, used one), or to go for the new model.

Bonus: As a multi-frequency detector, the Equinox will open up wet sand areas on beaches for you (including in the shallows), that are probably no-go zones with the single-frequency Xterra.
Hi Willows
My advice to you is buy a gold detector if you want to find gold I own 800 with both coils and it is useless at finding gold. I have been on many trips with friends using a 8oo and cheap garretts and they never found any thing but rusty crap. where as the wife and I using sdc2300 or6000 found many small nuggets .any gold detector 4500 5000 will do the job .

Latest posts