Winter panning waterproof gloves

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's Mayday tomorrow and winter is approaching. The weather forecast is that the Victorian High Country could get a dusting of snow over the next few days so temps are staring to plummet. Back here in Melbourne this morning I dipped my hand to the bottom of my 65L panning tub to retrieve a magnet and SHEESH!! :eek: - it was bloody cold!

Now... i want to continue working my favourite Gippsland waterway for as long as i can and was wondering what gloves do others use when working in cold water.

casper

I generally use these all year round.
images

I suppose if you feel the cold you could put some thin wool gloves underneath.

You can get some thin neoprene gloves.
Either way its going to be cold.
And you don't want to go A over T in the water.

Gortex gloves will keep you dry and just put some thin work gloves over the top for wear protection on the gortex

Just back from a few pans in the Mowamba (one ridgeline east of Thredbo), pretty cool already, didn't get many from in the river itself.

Oberon in winter, beautiful. Snow on the river banks, no flies, camp fire going and me in my wetsuit, waterproof gloves and booties snug as a bug and no body else for miles. Ah memories. Nice sapphires too!
Hey just a quick question: do you wear gloves when beach and park detecting due to needles?
Cheers
Mackka

richo966 said:
don't get frost bite on finger tips :eek:

From previous experience I'm really not anticipating a problem 'cos i use a similar style in knitted wool when snow camping (but with all finger tips exposed) and as long as the hand itself is warm the finger tips can be okay - but we'll see eh! ;)

thanks everyone for their contributions.

casper

Hi Guys
I’m after some good Winter panning waterproof gloves.
Where can I purchase these .
Cheers

Sealskinz may have some suitable gloves too. Their socks are phenomenal. Boots might be soaking but feet stay dry..