Windfarm Karara Qld, impact on nearby GPA?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a report of the effects of EMI from Wind Farms carried out around 2011/12

http://www.solwaybank-windfarm.co.uk/media/19065/Solwaybank Chapter 14 EMI and Aviation_FINAL.pdf
It is not actually a report of the effects of any existing windfarms though. If you read it through in detail (painful) it says it is either negligible or easily mitigated in the case of this planned windfarm- it is a report examining whether such things could occur. It mostly relates to slight interference with other radiation such as a TV station with signals so weak that people in the area already had difficulty receiving it (instead they used a station with a stronger signal). Some of the issues related to physical blocking out of signals by the propellers, not to EMI. Such thorough environmental assessments are required before any windfarms can be authorised. Slight interferences do occur (worse under high voltage powerlines though, as we have always known)., Electromagnetic radiation decays exponentially with distance from its source, so most people who worry about being zapped by damaging radiation should worry more about the electrical wiring in the wall behind their bed head (actually they should not worry about that either as it is non-ionizing radiation). Radiation from the sun can be more of a problem and even blow up transformers.

However there are interferences that can occur close to such wind turbines as with any other electrical turbine, and they potentially can interfere with other very weak signals. But I cant imagine it affecting detecting as I have described.

It is not actually a report of the effects of any existing windfarms though. If you read it through in detail (painful) it says it is either negligible or easily mitigated in the case of this planned windfarm- it is a report examining whether such things could occur. It mostly relates to slight interference with other radiation such as a TV station with signals so weak that people in the area already had difficulty receiving it (instead they used a station with a stronger signal). Some of the issues related to physical blocking out of signals by the propellers, not to EMI. Such thorough environmental assessments are required before any windfarms can be authorised. Slight interferences do occur (worse under high voltage powerlines though, as we have always known)., Electromagnetic radiation decays exponentially with distance from its source, so most people who worry about being zapped by damaging radiation should worry more about the electrical wiring in the wall behind their bed head (actually they should not worry about that either as it is non-ionizing radiation). Radiation from the sun can be more of a problem and even blow up transformers.

However there are interferences that can occur close to such wind turbines as with any other electrical turbine, and they potentially can interfere with other very weak signals. But I cant imagine it affecting detecting as I have described.
TV's and Radio's can pick up "Some" EMI from them so you can bet a 6000/7000 will sniff them out also, If a detector can pick up storms 300+Ks away it will sure suffer if a person detects with 10+ ks of them. and the underground power line will make loud Buzzing or Pulsing sounds from the detector.

Tv's and radio's are very broadband...
Specific equipment, designed to do a job, can notch filter and markedly reduce EMI.

TV's and Radio's can pick up "Some" EMI from them so you can bet a 6000/7000 will sniff them out also, If a detector can pick up storms 300+Ks away it will sure suffer if a person detects with 10+ ks of them. and the underground power line will make loud Buzzing or Pulsing sounds from the detector.
Not sure about that comparing with storms - they can cause be powerful enough to induce damaging fields - I have seen claims that a single thundercloud could generate electricity sufficient to power New York for half an hour (don't know if it is true though). Part of Canada was blacked out by a solar storm for 9 hours and also NE USA, with hundreds of millions of dollars damage (that I do know is correct). And that was not the largest....

Would be interesting to know what detecting during a major solar flare would induce.....😱

Emi can be huge with turbines, it's strange some days they spin there's nothing and other days it's painful. Seems windirection and which way they are facing go how much emi affects detecting.
Same as TV reception they spin all the time but if the winds in a certain direction digital gets real glitch.
If you have a patch I would suggest flogging it before construction is finished.

See if this one sticks....

Aussiefarmer, Please show some respect to the mods. (see if this one sticks)
You do not see some of the posts and crap that gets posted after a person puts a potentially controvertial post up...... that we have to debate and keep or release!
We are trying to be as fair and as reasonable that could be expected for a Prospecting site.

In regards to your post, these wind turbines are giant electric motors!
But operating in reverse, ie power is not operating the motor to drive something..
Wind is driving the motor to generate power..
Any such electrical interaction between magnets and coils, (even though these 3+ phase turbines are much more sophisticated than my knowledge!) will generate EMI.

As for wind moving a magnetic field, I highly doubt it, but yes, the wind vane moving the motor itself could change the magnetic fields direction I think.
This indeed could change conditions at your locale!!
A new tool to prospecting could be check the wind direction close to these farms?!

🤪
My posts are real life observations, not scientific mumbo jumbo.
Interference to TV reception and metal detectors changes with wind direction, this could be from atmospheric conditions that come with different wind directions I am not sure, but it happens.
🎣
No problems bud with your real life observations!
I disagree scientifically, but wholly understand where you are coming from!

The 'see if this sticks' post insinuated that we, the mods are over cooking things??

We are trying our best, but please feel free to hit that 'Report Post' button if something seems like its going astray!

Next time I go past the Wind Farm near Dalgety, I will take the 4500
with me an try setting it up. The road goes right past it.

How does windfarm generators work? Well, different designs has different solutions. Old style has 3 phase generator with gearbox and maybe a transformer. Generator has excitation to control voltage which generate EMI but limited due to low current. Blade pitch motors require digital controllers to drive motors. Steady winds no problem as it is set once. Gusty wind require more changes causing more EMI. Other designs has a generator with a large AC converter to eiminate the gearbox. They tend to have much more EMI and digital noise.
All these equipment must comply to EMI regulations and it is more likely the power line side and sub stations causing the noise than the wind mills.

How does windfarm generators work? Well, different designs has different solutions. Old style has 3 phase generator with gearbox and maybe a transformer. Generator has excitation to control voltage which generate EMI but limited due to low current. Blade pitch motors require digital controllers to drive motors. Steady winds no problem as it is set once. Gusty wind require more changes causing more EMI. Other designs has a generator with a large AC converter to eiminate the gearbox. They tend to have much more EMI and digital noise.
All these equipment must comply to EMI regulations and it is more likely the power line side and sub stations causing the noise than the wind mills.
Yes as a whole the infrastructure required has a few possible sources of EMI or includes related infrastructure that may increase amplification of EMI.
Throw it all together then add other nearby environmental + atmospheric sources & it's not hard to see why there are reports of EMI issues in these areas with highly sensitive broadband PI detectors.
Doesn't surprise me at all having dealt with problematic fence lines (non electric), trains/train lines, mains power lines, HT power lines, not to mention nature.

With the wind Aussiefarmers observations may also be due to higher winds equalling higher output (increasing to a set limit) & they also won't cut in during low winds (why you often see only some rotating) so more will be running in the ideal wind conditions.

Depending which way and how strong the wind is blowing often determines how close you can get to and which side of a non electrified fence

Most of those results make them sound like they have minimal effects on everyday Items like phones, TV's and internet systems etc but I think Detectors might have more of an issue, I know Overhead powerlines above ground have a noticable effect where they are pushing 180/250,000V through them but the Turbine Wires are below ground where their depth will have the last say on if or how much impact they will have on detecting.

Those big 250,000v Pilons even though they are way up high can make your hair stand on end and in the rain you can hear them buzzing, As we all know how water can make things stand out when the ground is damp I'm wondering if the damp ground will also boost the EMI levels coming from the ground if so then people might not be able to go detecting a week or two after it has rained, Of coarse this is all speculation So those who own PI/Zed machines might have to carry out some wet and dry tests just to be sure, 👍

Interesting conclusions

"Magnetic field levels detected at the base of the turbines under both the ‘high wind’ and ‘low wind’ conditions were low ...... becoming indistinguishable from background within 2 m of the base. Magnetic fields measured 1 m above buried collector lines were also within background"

'Interesting conclusions'
In all honesty mate, I think a person could dig hard enough and find a study that suits what that person wanted to convey.... good or bad??

I have no doubt in my mind at all that detectors are affected by EMI.

In all honesty mate, I think a person could dig hard enough and find a study that suits what that person wanted to convey.... good or bad??

I have no doubt in my mind at all that detectors are affected by EMI.
Also being underground their wires will be very well shielded not just for EMI but to protect them from the elements as well. so they might not even be noticeable.

Latest posts