Windeyer NSW fossicking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I can't stand it anymore. It has been months since I used my pan...I have to get my feet back in the creeks! (Gonna be cold but i believe i m well equipped).
So I m taking this coming Monday &Tuesday to satisfy my gold fever...I m heading to Wendeyer, NSW.
If anyone got any tips, you are very welcome to guide a newbie with a spike of gold fever.
Cheers
Vince

The way it has been in the GT a lot of dry creeks close to diggings would have water at the moment and provide excellent panning opportunities. Not sure if similar conditions are extending that far north but good luck.
Maybe there is some way to check recent rainfall figures for an area that would ensure that you have a better chance of finding those annoyingly dry creeks close to diggings areas carrying water.

The way it has been in the GT a lot of dry creeks close to diggings would have water at the moment and provide excellent panning opportunities. Not sure if similar conditions are extending that far north but good luck.
Maybe there is some way to check recent rainfall figures for an area that would ensure that you have a better chance of finding those annoyingly dry creeks close to diggings areas carrying water.
It is ok, i need to take the fresh air, so I ll see when I get there...if they are dry, i ll try the blow tubing method and metal detector...if they have water...pan / sluice...will see...i ll post here when I m back on Wednesday.

The area has had pretty much the wettest winter I can remember in a long time. The seasonal creeks are either flooded/running well or holding good water holes.
Keep in mind due to this a number of local roads (causeways, low level crossings etc.) can be passable one minute & closed the next with even a relatively smallish downpour.
Also seen pictures from Sofala recently of where some people were camped (Wallaby Rocks on the Turon I believe) & it was flooded in under an hour requiring SES assistance, so be mindful if setting up camp near these seasonal creeks/rivers - they can rise very quickly but do tend to drop quick too, if the rain stops.
Phone reception can be very patchy around the area so make sure your not relying on a mobile in an emergency.
You won't have time to arrange any Crown Land fossicking permits now either which will leave you pretty restricted on where to go. Most Crown Land there is under lease so land access is pretty tight anyway.

Latest posts