Wiley's coin and relic by-products from 40 years of gold prospecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone identify this badly damaged belt buckle? The words on it are incomplete. The word at the top is Inkermanm. To the left of that is Alma? To the right is ?alacl? At the bottom the word is ?upatoria. The word to the left of that is ??rtc? And the word to the right of it seems to be, ahap? The face on it seems to have a moustache and a goatee
Two possibilities -

"Where is the Inkerman Lead?
The lead was part of a long string of leads which stretched from north of Amherst through Opossum Gully in the south and via the Inkerman Lead to Alma, seven miles (11 km) to the north. The lead followed Timor Creek on the east side"

However unless it was found in that area, it is more likely to be related to the Crimean war (1853-1856) where Alma and Inkerman related to battles (we have an Inkerman lead in Ballarat, also a suburb of Sebastopol). The Balaclava gold mine at Whroo is another name from that war,.Malakoff lead another. Here is a medal with what appears to be a similar face on it,

"?alacl?" is probably Balaclava

1644789579_inkermann.jpg

Face is Napoleon !!! who was allied to Britain in that war.

1644790952_inkermann.jpg

1644790952_napoleon_lll.jpg
Hi. User 4386. I finally found out what one of the missing words were on my medallion I posted on 24 Dec 2021. It only showed the letters upatoria. which turned out to be the city of Eupatoria. Which was occupied by the British and the French in 1854, during the Crimean War. Where the battle of Eupatoria occurred. The Russian name was Yevpatoria. So it seems the medallion I found is a commemoration of the battle sites of the Crimean War. So the facial profile on it must be Napoleon Bonaparte. Again , many thanks for your detective work on the other words on it. wiley

Latest posts