Why not GP Extreme?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Technology and things like timings and algorithms of the circuitry moved on in leaps and bounds!
There is no doubt that you can find gold with older tech, just more chance with the latest technology.

That being said, the difference between detectors costs money...
FOR YOU, does that increase in the chance to find gold, warrant the increase in price??

Last edited:
Just asking,I know it’s easy to say save more money and get a 4500 or 5000 but why not an Extreme or even a 4000?
I look at it like this....when you are getting into a PI machine it generally means you are about to get serious about detecting and hoping to get gold more consistently. The machine is your tool of the trade and as in any trade, it helps to invest in the best tools you can "afford", especially these days when you are chasing gold that the later / better machines are also chasing.

The Extreme was a good machine in its day and will always get you gold, but when you are detecting ground that has seen a lot of later models over it your chances of success are diminished. Most that I've met who purchased an older machine upgraded within 12 months and didn't get a good price for their old machine. General advice is get the best machine you can "afford", and yes, a cheaper machine is better than no machine at all.

Just asking,I know it’s easy to say save more money and get a 4500 or 5000 but why not an Extreme or even a 4000?
The Extreme is now 5 models back in GP, GPX technology development history. Having owned one it was a competent detector in its day but now I wouldn't want to be using one on ground that has been covered by later models.
The 5000 with its great selection of coil options is still finding good gold alongside the 7000, 2300 and 6000 operators. As we go backwards in technology from the 5000, I do not think that could still be said.
One of the worst things is to have doubts about the capability of ones tools. That would assuredly take the enjoyment off your detecting experience.
So I would say go for a 5000 if you can afford it. Make sure you get a small, medium and large coil with it and you have covered most bases.

So I’ve ended up buying an extreme for $1600 that also came with 2 DD coils and a mono coil,now it’s time to learn more about all of the settings.Went out to Laanecoorie on the weekend,spent an hour searching where I left my pick on top of some prospecting haha that came down to finding a 22 shell but looking forward to future prospecting.Thanks for all of your advice.

So I’ve ended up buying an extreme for $1600 that also came with 2 DD coils and a mono coil,now it’s time to learn more about all of the settings.Went out to Laanecoorie on the weekend,spent an hour searching where I left my pick on top of some prospecting haha that came down to finding a 22 shell but looking forward to future prospecting.Thanks for all of your advice.

Hope you find your pick Sauce and hope some gold comes your way soon. Keep us informed with your adventures and look forward to seeing your first nuggets with the new machine.

A well tuned GP Extreme is still a great machine, just don't except sensitivity to match the later models. Use good headphones or an enhancer, and have a good range of DD coils in your kit. On white pipeclay with an 8" or 11" mono they can still be deadly on small gold. Good bang for the buck in my opinion and not too hard to use.

But yes as WalNLiz said, don't go where others with later models have been working recently.