Whites SPP Adding Conductivity switch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Razorback make a few different ones I like the look of the 10x14 mono and a 14" round both work at min delay.
I believe there 16" mono works at min but it's not listed on there web site ATM so not sure what's going on there.
There web site has a 12x16 mono' it works on the SPP.

I have ordered conductivity switch with wire loom from Goldsearch . I have received email from Goldsearch saying that they are still waiting for pricing from White's USA. As it is not certain that White's will sell this switch to the Aussie, does anyone know what sort of socket is on PCB board for the conductivity switch to connect to? I have been in to electronics for most of my life,but I can't recall seeing such a socket. It is not Moltex, I have searched their catalog. Pin spacing appears to be 1.25 or 1.5 mm, can't measure it exactly, my eye sight is bad. It would be much easier if we can find right plug and solder it to the switch of our choice. I had SPP open this afternoon and low battery light can be moved to the speakers area and still seen thru speaker holes, when it comes on. Toggle conductivity switch can be fitted in the hole left by battery light. In case of need for warranty repair, detector can be restored to its original conditioning.
Karl

Karl' I was surprised that Goldsearch were able to supply the switch & loom in the first place as it would really be a item listed for parts for the SL that isn't sold here in Australia so I do understand if a Whites USA give the Run around on parts, I also understand if people get knocked back on warranty because the Conductivity switch had been added even tho nothing else was touched it's the fact the box was opened up in the first place by the owner. I will be adding the switch but not until the machine has had a good run first and honestly I'd wouldn't be trying to get a warranty claim after I'd tinkered with it'
Those internal plugs look to me like a common plug for all whites machines you could also cut down a 4 pin plug or find a small single plug connector and give it a small light crimp on the pins' some multi plug connectors from jay car could be dismantled and used separately with heat shrink over the top.

Zuke, as for possible warranty claim, this mod simply can not do any damage to the board . It simply shorts input to the op amp and those inputs are buffered somewhere on the PCB by resistors. If the mod is done as I describe it, in unlikely event of detectors failure, everything can be restored to original condition and no one would know that mods has ever existed. The only reason why I want to to do conductivity mods is to use this detector in the parks that I had cleaned out with X-terra to see if extra depth will give me some extra coins. The constant high tone that all the aluminum thrash gives me is driving me up the wall.
As for the plug, there used to be time when you needed to know couple dozens connectors to know them all. Not any more. There seems to be hundreds of them. I have spent few hours looking thru some catalogs, but no look so far. Make do connector is no good. You bump or drop the detector and the conductivity swith may stop working.
Karl

The wiring from the pc board to the switches or pots come in two sizes, a two pin connector or a 3 pin connector. So, any pot uses a 3 pin connector with appropriate wiring. Providing the wiring is long enough then any of the 3 pin connectors could be used for the conductivity switch. Any spdt center off switch will work providing it is small enough. A standard switch would probably be too big, but a typical miniature one should work fine.

Reg

Hi Reg, it is not switch I have problem with, but the wire to board connector. Do you know what brand the plug Is? And what pitch, 1.25 or 1.5 mm? I could not find this connector in Molex catalog, it may be JTS connector.
Karl

Its got weird off set pins..

If not for warranty I'd say go ahead and replace it with a 3 pin JST SMT socket...

I think it is JST.. just not sure which

I think it is this one JST GHR-03V-S. Now to find someone who will sell just couple of them with wires crimped on.
Karl

I finally finished conductivity switch mod. Does it work, yes. Is it worth doing, I shall see after using it for while. Mod is total reversible. I had removed low battery light and replaced it with a switch. The switch needs to have barell less then 5 mm diameter, got one from eBay. The biggest problem is the connector. After stuffing about six of them, trying to crimp wires with needle nosed pliers, I rang my former work mates until I found electronics engineer has right crimping tool.
I have played with it for about ten minutes in my backyard. In eighter mode, low or high it seems to run quiter and transition of the sound from lowest grunt to higher tone is smooth, more like multitone machine, only it is continuing change until it reaches point when sound stops. And opposite way for high tones.
I plan to add digital voltmeter to it to replace low batt. light.
1410416385_spp.jpg

Karl

This morning I went to test SPP with added conductivity switch for couple hours in nearby park. The area I have selected was large exercise lot covered in wood chip. I detect this lot with X-Terra regularly and I was curious if there is anything I missed with X-terra. The SPP was fited with 10x5 Commander DD coil, FM transmitter and I was using the earphones plugged to mobile phone. All settings at default, except ground balance that was set at 4. I left conductivity switch in default position also, flicking it into high and low when I hit target. As the picture shows, X-terra has cleaned place pretty well, except 5 cents coin and junk earring I did not find anything of value. Both the earring and the coin were about 4" deep and gave well defined signal when switch was in low, and weaker low (but not a grunt) signal when switch was in high conductivity setting.
All the iron junk gave high signal in low conductivity mode and no signal ( or just very short burp) when switched to high conductivity mode.
The battery in FM transmitter run flat after two hours so that was end of testing. I grabbed X-terra and on the way to my car, along the footpath I picked up $2.50.
I need to do more testing on some ground that wasn't so cleaned up like this one.
Karl

1410829876_spp_junk.jpg

Hi Karl I am glad to see you have the mod up and running. When you say it had just a short burp or could it be classed as a hic cup sound .With using mine on mineralized ground it has a hic cup sound with 12x7 nf on other ground its ok I am just thinking that the ground balance pot is not fine enough, I am looking at putting a 10 turn potentiometer on top of it . With the old whites VLF detectors we did the same regards john :)

Latest posts