Whites SPP Adding Conductivity switch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. All. Seems to me it may be very possible to add the conductivity switch with maybe very little effort. Anyone had a look at the curcuit board in their SPP yet? There are two vacant female plugs. One says Conductivity and LED. The other says Pulse Width. To me, it is looking like this may be the TDI board, but simply without the appropriate Switch/Pot and wires going to those plugs. I don't have a TDI to compare the two, but it looks like it may be all there. If this is the case, I assume the only issue would be getting the wires in the correct order in the plug. Worth a try maybe?????? :D

Would anyone be able to post a photo of the TDI board for comparison? It would be interesting to compare the two. It would also be good if we knew where to get the same type of pots to match the ones on the SPP.

You need a photo of the TDI sl as the SPP is the same.
Is the conductivity plug a 3 pin?

Hi. Zuke. Yes. That's what I thought too. Hopefully someone will see this and post one . Looked on the net, couldn't find one. From what I said though, sounds promising do you think???

Is the conductivity plug a 3 pin?
I'll pack up from today and pop the cover off to see if the switch on the TDI has 3 wires gimme half

Got to go out now Zuke, but yes, I think it and the plug for the missing pulse width are both three pin. they are both the same type of plug as used elsewhere on the board.

hmm, interesting how when the SPP was released i said it was a watered down version of the TDI SL.. And yet all the angry arrogant know it all douche bag nerds got all over me about how the 'Great and Powerful' whites electronics would never release a re-badged SL ans the SPP..

Its not bloody rocket science! R&D costs an insane amount of money, to start from scratch, design the circuit, produce prototypes, testing etc etc.. why bother? when you can rip apart a working machine, dumb it down and sell it for under a grand?! Its good business..

Post some pics make it official.

The first 2x pictures are of the delay turn pot (not badged with size) and the plug where it connects on the TDI pro.
1407055159_image.jpg

1407055526_image.jpg

The next two are of the conductivity switch and the plug
1407055239_image.jpg

1407055567_image.jpg

I'd still check the SL first before...

Hi I have a spp on order and have not used a whites for 32 years and because of that I have not kept my finger on the whites terms, been using M/L . Can some one explain in easy to under stand terms what does a conductivity switch do , would it be any advantage in nugget hunting thanks john :)

SL is slightly different, though i only had a quick look while replacing the coil socket.. can't wait to get my hands on the SPP..

I hope Steve doesn't mind but here is a great post on coin hunting with the TDI using the conductivity switch in high
http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steves-guide-whites-tdi-coin-settings.htm
In the gold fields I use LOW all the time it will disc out a lot of trash using a mono coil of course' and you can also offset the GB to disc out more if you wish, the only down fall is you won't find high conductive Gold I think over 1/4 ounce depending on purity, but if you find any gold you are going to continue searching the area with every setting/coil possible.

old hand said:
Hi I have a spp on order and have not used a whites for 32 years and because of that I have not kept my finger on the whites terms, been using M/L . Can some one explain in easy to under stand terms what does a conductivity switch do , would it be any advantage in nugget hunting thanks john :)

Took this from the TDI Pro user manual. Hope it helps with your question.

TARGET CONDUCTIVITY-
What it does
This control allows the user to select whether to hear only low- conductive
targets, only high-conductive targets, or both types of targets. Low-con-
ductive targets, like small-to-medium sized gold nuggets will make a high-
tone sound. High-conductive targets like coins, except nickels, will make
a low-tone sound. This feature only works if the FINE Ground Balance
control is clockwise from the OFF position. When FINE ground balance
control is OFF, the Target Conductivity switch
must
be set to ALL or LOW
and all signals will sound the same

Have to see an SL I think Zuke. The sockets on the SPP are facing up from the curcuit board. Not at right angles as in your pic. Will pull it apart again tomorrow and take a couple of photos.

The conductivity switch pic is not clear, but it looks like triple point double throw center off switch. It looks like it switches one of the clear insulated wires to the black one ( soldered to the middle row switch pins) on one flick and then other clear insulated wire is switched to the black wire on opposite flick of switch . Why are they using triple point switch is a mystery, it could be done with SP DT center off switch.
Take batteries out and buzz it with ohmmeter to make sure.
Karls48

You probably need the double row as there is a few diodes added in I could add a clearer picture but because it looks different than the SPP I would like to see the SL before attempting. You could possibly wire it without the insulated wires as they look like there just earthed to assist with noise interference.

Sorry I knew the pic wasn't clear but didn't worry as we need to see the SL anyway.
Also in the top picture of the delay pot there could be a diode or capacitor under that black heat shrink on the red wire
But once again the TDI pro is different than the SPP so'

Latest posts