Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a whinge about contributions to another site, "Caravanning & Camping."
Sick to death of late reading about weights and measures of caravan/vehicles.
(If they left their washing and drying machines, microwaves, electric bikes etc etc behind they may not have a overweight problem.)
AND use of generators in FREE camping sites .
(If you're off the grid you will at times require use of your generator, not everyone can afford all the new beaut lithium/solar set ups)

$0.30 - $0.60 per kWh to charge an electric vehicle (EV). This equates to around $11.50 - $23 to fully charge a small electric vehicle or about $22.50 - $45 to fully charge a larger long-distance electric vehicle......I just cut and pasted this from an article a few mounths old so maybe just a ball park figure. Would be nice to have a seperate battery you can charge at home while you use the other one.
Actually the cost of charging does not sound to bad (that is the cheap part) - $0.25 - $0.45 per KWh, much as you say, but that would only be $2.50-$4.50 per 100 km which is much better than petrol , However re-charging issues, cost of replacement battery after 8-10 years and cost of mechanic doing it adds up (and if you read the fine print on the 8 year warranty, some say that they only warrant that it will still hold 70% of its charge)..

There is other dishonest advertising going on that argues along the lines of "the battery will last 10 years and on average people only keep a new car 10 years". Perhaps so, but do they then dump the car not trade it in or sell it, and what about the other half of the population (me) who keep it a bit longer?

These things will undoubtedly sort out within a couple of years - but read the fine print...

Actually the cost of charging does not sound to bad (that is the cheap part) - $0.25 - $0.45 per KWh, much as you say, but that would only be $2.50-$4.50 per 100 km which is much better than petrol , However re-charging issues, cost of replacement battery after 8-10 years and cost of mechanic doing it adds up (and if you read the fine print on the 8 year warranty, some say that they only warrant that it will still hold 70% of its charge)..

There is other dishonest advertising going on that argues along the lines of "the battery will last 10 years and on average people only keep a new car 10 years". Perhaps so, but do they then dump the car not trade it in or sell it, and what about the other half of the population (me) who keep it a bit longer?

These things will undoubtedly sort out within a couple of years - but read the fine print...
With you Goldierocks, my current 2002 ute suits my needs, no computer chips etc etc to go wrong it is still roaring up the road with the van in tow.

Well - of course that is largely the present situation. 71% of Australia's electricity in 2021 was generated by fossil fuels. This is why I don't fully understand the rush here to EVs. I think the pollies just think it is an easy way to appear to be doing anything but designing a future energy plan and implementing it.

One reason I will consider a little EV runabout for local driving in future is that I am in a position to charge during the day from my solar. Also interested to see that there is potential to use the old EV batteries on a home solar battery circuit (still plenty of charge left once past being enough for a car).

Here is a whinge that probably doesnt concern most people but it should. The company I work for and others may soon loose alot of buisness because there are not enough pallets for them to put there stock on thats required by everyone to transport it. The pallets work of a rental system so when you sell a pallet of something to anouther company then then take over the rental of that pallet. Problem is when stock is sold to two unnamed large super market chains they are choosing to save the pallets for the Christmas rush rather than transport them back to the pallet depot to be put back into the supply chain. I think they are doing this because some of there suppliers use an exchange system instead of a rental system. This is going to cause major head aches.

Last edited:
The company i worked for years ago ended up buying there own pallets as the rental company was too hard to deal with. Owning your own worked out well and we had them painted to identify ours from others.

(If they left their washing and drying machines, microwaves, electric bikes etc etc behind they may not have a overweight problem.)
AND use of generators in FREE camping sites

That's the problem nightjar ,they have to take the house with them
i have a 1000 watt genny for battery boost on rainy or overcast days ,barely here it running

a mate takes his 10 Kva with him, costs more in fuel to run the bloody campsite than what he uses too get there👎

The company i worked for years ago ended up buying there own pallets as the rental company was too hard to deal with. Owning your own worked out well and we had them painted to identify ours from others.
unfortunately we cant afford to make our own pallets as the margin on our stock is too small to justify doing it. Its not just the superrmarkets hoarding them though. I know one large transport company that has approximately 18000 sitting in the yard. They are paying rent on them so they are entitled to do that but it f@$#% up the little guys.

Last edited:
This section gets a fair bit of leeway regarding political discussion however, reference to specific politicians or political parties will be removed.
The more infrastucture such as bitumen or concrete roads we create the more later we and later generations have to fork out for maintenance.
Be careful how much we want now. The hidden cost is maintenance.
Who is going to pay for maintenance on that after it is finished (if ever)?

There are some very sensitive people out there. I was told by a pc person a while back that they dont like me using the word Black Boy to describe the plant I was looking for and I now should refer to them only as Grass Trees. I think for people like this being offended at every thing gives them a small amount of power they lack in there life and that gets them off some how.
They will always be "Black boys" regardless!

Just going through the Aldi catalogue and I nearly fell off my chair, "Bassa Fillets $8.49, 400gm pack, Every Day" now that equates to $21.23 per kg. They used to sell for around $6 per kg so that's what I call inflation on steroids, personally I wouldn't eat them, I know what they are and I've seen the conditions in which some of them are farmed.😝

Just going through the Aldi catalogue and I nearly fell off my chair, "Bassa Fillets $8.49, 400gm pack, Every Day" now that equates to $21.23 per kg. They used to sell for around $6 per kg so that's what I call inflation on steroids, personally I wouldn't eat them, I know what they are and I've seen the conditions in which some of them are farmed.😝
Yep, hanging in baskets in polluted river water

Latest posts