Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lack of action to prevent foot and mouth entering Australia, the government should have a blitz advertising campaign, can anyone imagine the impact , no milk , no meat , no hope of rebuilding Australia's livestock. The day it officially hits our shores all livestock transport will be prohibited, if you have some spare cash and an empty freezer I would start stocking up on your favourite cuts imo.

Possible preventitive steps,
Ban re entry from affected countries
Sterilise or destroy footwear and any soiled items
Atleast start an education program on all flights.

The most scary possibility that was mentioned to me by one of nsw biggest dairy farmers is, it will be purposely brought in to push people onto non animal made milk and meat products. Far fetched maybe but never say never with crazed vegan activists.

Just read above , if this is regarded as political just bin it , but it's my windge for today.
Minor outbreaks of possible FMD are believed to have occurred in Australia in 1801, 1804, 1871 and 1872, but we have not had any since. It is endemic to many countries (more than we could ever consider placing bans on - Middle East, Africa, Asia and most of South America.) but was thought eradicated in Indonesia (and so many Australians go to Bali) and may have been eradicated in England. Those countries live with it (ikit rately kills stock but seriously affects productivity and ability to export). If it comes here it would cost us tens of billions before we could bring it under control - the danger is that it could get into the feral population and become endemic (wild pigs, camels, goats, buffalo etc). it is not easy to transmit except through direct animal contact. Don't know why they resist sterilising footware on entry as happens when I hike in New Zealand and vice-versa. The Det of Agriculture says that the risk is still considered low and :

"New measures being taken or introduced include:

• The location of biosecurity detector dogs in Darwin and Cairns Airports,
  • Additional signage and the distribution of flyers at major airports, informing travellers of FMD risk and precautions,
  • Expanded social media campaigns, informing travellers of their biosecurity responsibilities,
  • Additional training of airport biosecurity staff,
  • Enhancement of mail profiling and inspections, and
  • Additional measures, including boarding by biosecurity officers on arriving flights from Indonesia, will begin in coming days".

Vaccines work and we have a stock, but the government says it does not want to use them until we actually have cases, as it might cause our meat importers to conclude that we already have it here (perceptions).

It is difficult to separate facts and press hype.

And the vegan activists have had more than a century to import it from any of the huge number of countries that have it (and since it is extremely rare in humans and cannot be caught by eating meat it would not deter many). Try mad cow disease....

I often wonder how strong our border restrictions are when you see shows like border force and people openly flaunt our incoming quarantine and restricted food lists and are just given warnings. Time to up our game and enforce the rules and put even more stringent restrictions in place to protect our agricultural industry.

Pa I couldn’t agree more with you mate the penalties for trying to bring crap into Oz is like being hit in the face with a wet lettuce leaf. As you mentioned you see it all the time on the telle. People trying to bring in bags of food, meat, fish, seeds, veggies and not to mention the wood products etc. And some of the people say, but we brought it in last time. Well fine them heavily or put them on the next plane out of here. Mackka

Well I hope your right, it scares the shit out me and many other farmers, its probably more the stereotypical Bali tourists that makes it a given that it will be here shortly.
Don't blame you for a moment. And it is not me being right or wrong just info taken from Oz dept Ag and Vic Dept Ag - I have no personal experience but checked as I share your concern. However apparently it is rarely transmitted except by livestock or direct contact with livestock, although theoretically it could be other ways. And we might hope that if it gets here they can vaccinate cattle there and stop it spreading. Who knows - I cannot distinguish fact and fiction from media reports - they always catastrophize and since covid everything is Chicken Little "the sky is falling"and "we'll all be rooned said Hanrahan, before the year is out". But if it were to become endemic here it obviously would be disastrous (more whether or not it is likely).

The main takeaways seem to be - we own vaccine supplies that could be here in a week and we already have the equipment here.

AND

"If a local outbreak were to occur, Australia's FMD-free status could be restored within three months of the last detected case if the disease was controlled using a slaughter-only approach and surveillance was undertaken, under rules set by the OIE, the World Organisation for Animal Health. Those rules stipulate it would take six months to restore Australia's FMD-free status if animals were vaccinated, not slaughtered, and surveillance was undertaken to demonstrate no evidence of infection in the nation's livestock".

The lack of action to prevent foot and mouth entering Australia, the government should have a blitz advertising campaign, can anyone imagine the impact , no milk , no meat , no hope of rebuilding Australia's livestock. The day it officially hits our shores all livestock transport will be prohibited, if you have some spare cash and an empty freezer I would start stocking up on your favourite cuts imo.

Possible preventitive steps,
Ban re entry from affected countries
Sterilise or destroy footwear and any soiled items
Atleast start an education program on all flights.

The most scary possibility that was mentioned to me by one of nsw biggest dairy farmers is, it will be purposely brought in to push people onto non animal made milk and meat products. Far fetched maybe but never say never with crazed vegan activists.

Just read above , if this is regarded as political just bin it , but it's my windge for today.
Just heard on the Radio earlier today if my memory serves me correctly 🙄 been a long day. Vic Farmers Federation is pushing for the ban on public camping on rivers and streams. Might have even been a broadcast to say it's official, either way it's about combating the spread should it arrive 🤔 I'm with you AF once it's here we're up shite creek in a big way. Don't worry about hoarding bog roll, no use on an empty stomach 😳

Watch the price at the butchers go through the roof 😬

i can understand their concerns but that emma germano may be right about victoria ,she has foot in mouth by saying that vic may already have FMD, one way to throw a scare out there, as goldie said it is hard to work out what is truth or fake
i just hope the the powers to be don't sit on their arses and get all the protocols in place so we don't get it here, if it means no travel, well then that has to happen, it may piss a few people off but the alternative would not be good for anyone

i can understand their concerns but that emma germano may be right about victoria ,she has foot in mouth by saying that vic may already have FMD, one way to throw a scare out there, as goldie said it is hard to work out what is truth or fake
i just hope the the powers to be don't sit on their arses and get all the protocols in place so we don't get it here, if it means no travel, well then that has to happen, it may piss a few people off but the alternative would not be good for anyone
No travel to Middle East, Africa, Asia and most of South America, including Indonesia (they all have foot and mouth)? We went through that with covid - try getting the public to support that. And Indonesia would be livid and takes a lot of our beef - might be cutting off our noses to spite our faces. And it is not confined to Bali in Indonesia.

Second case of Foot and Mouth discovered in “ undeclared” meat products in Adelaide. These people only care about themselves as has been seen many times on Border Protection tv programs and they get away with a minuscule fine. Time to stop all flights from any Asian Country in order to protect our meat industry. Mackka

Second case of Foot and Mouth discovered in “ undeclared” meat products in Adelaide. These people only care about themselves as has been seen many times on Border Protection tv programs and they get away with a minuscule fine. Time to stop all flights from any Asian Country in order to protect our meat industry. Mackka
Bit inaccurate I think (the press likes a good disaster). Fortunately it was "DNA fragments" not a viable disease that could infect anything. In fact it is fairly difficult for it to be transmitted in meat products (it can last more than a month in some parts of dead animals - but only parts that no human in their right mind would eat, that noone is likely to bring in). And we can't get infected eating infected parts of an infected animal anyway, and you would have to then smear that infected meat on livestock to transmit it. , And again, it is not just Asian countries but many continents that have it (eg Bulgaria at present). Since Australian tourists don't usually work with live animals while overseas, the risk is thought to be small (faeces that people have stood on - less likely smeared saliva from an animal). You cant catch it from eating meat - and few people eat their meat raw - there is a very slight risk from drinking infected milk (given the TB in milk in many countries I don't touch it when overseas).

It is a worry, but there is a reasonable probability that we could stop it by vaccination if it did enter (other countries have) - but that could still cost us billions in incorrect assumptions by buyers of our live animals etc. I hope we don't get it, but we seem to panic immediately about everything since covid - you might get knocked down by a car tomorrows (or hit by a meteorite, or killed by an erupting volcano). Cars are far more likely.

Obviously it is of concern, but constantly worrying about everything that comes along that COULD be of concern will probably do your health more damage. I won't worry further myself until they actually report a CASE of infected livestock in Australia.

Well the 3 stooges were in full glory today at work trying their best to make my workday as bad as it can be then when one ofter the other had a go at me I simply said with a straight face.

I'm not arguing with you idiots as your trying to drag me down to your level and beat with experience, well the look on the faces said all as I just walked away and tomorrow at work should be a good one as the office will by now know about it

Well the 3 stooges were in full glory today at work trying their best to make my workday as bad as it can be then when one ofter the other had a go at me I simply said with a straight face.

I'm not arguing with you idiots as your trying to drag me down to your level and beat with experience, well the look on the faces said all as I just walked away and tomorrow at work should be a good one as the office will by now know about it
Every workplace has at least one.... But 3..... I feel for ya...o_O:oops:

LW.....

I'd prefer to keep out of this thread, but I feel compelled to speak.

I'm a member I was a member of a Gold Prospecting group on Facebook. Last time out bush I went detecting and met a guy who I hadn't seen for a few years... turned out be the admin of the group, had a good chat and caught up etc. The spot I went I parked the car further away and walked in with the Detector. I decided to check in on the group earlier today...said I needed to join the group, bit confused I decided to just check my messenger notification...admin of group had messenged me talking about holes dug and not filled in...over the week or so he hadn't been there.

It looks like I was booted from the group, I fill my dang holes in though! Guilty until proven innocent...not like the admin came down in the last shower, can't believe it. What a pick in the back eh. 0.o
I was there after he left on the day, but only about 1/2hr before I took off to get some colour in a known place. He said he thinks nobody else had been there? Am I the only one who parks a car and walks about to explore new places? Ohh well.

Tl;dr- It seems more and more people are so reactive these days and quick to judge harshly. I guess I'm surprised, ohh well....at least I can be here at PA and share with you top class lads. :)

Peace.

Latest posts